Other 2018, a Major Year for iPhone/Apple?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nviz22, Jan 5, 2018.

1. nviz22 macrumors 603

nviz22

Is 2018 a major year for Apple and the iPhone? The rumors are pointing towards a bigger iPhone X style phone. Apple is also dealing with a plethora of software issues from iOS 11' inception. There was also another rumor about unifying iOS further with Mac just a bit ago. LG is slated to create new OLED panels as well. How will Apple address the lower tier market segments and the lower flagship market segments? Will Face ID become the permanent option for the 8/8+ successors or will that transition happen at a later time?

2. Ralfi macrumors 68030

Ralfi

I think once IOS caters only to an 'X' form factor, then Apple's software people can focus on it & only it, resulting in a better IOS for users.

Right now, just imo, but I think Apple are in some ways designing an IOS for different phones. Once it returns to a universal form factor across the board, then we'll see the smoother, more reliable IOS we're accustomed to.

Saying that, I don't think IOS11 is that bad, though my iPad Air 2 has been more sluggish with it.

3. Relentless Power, Jan 5, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2018

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I think 2018 will be. The rumored (Likely more affordable) 6.1 LCD model will adopt iPhone X like features. Of course we can expect the 5.8 and rumored 6.5 OLED iPhone.

And the other mysterious update might be the update with the iPhone SE, which many are hoping for. Which will be interesting to see if it retains the 3.5 Jack or Touch ID.

The LG panels are rumored the larger 6.5 iPhone and the 5.8 will retain Samsung as a supplier through 2018.

I do hope iOS 12 is more promising and developers are more on par with updating applications for the iPhone X format.

Face ID is here to stay and I do believe it will be an integral part of the iPhone line up and future iPads.

4. JPack macrumors 601

JPack

I expect 2018 to be the real megacycle for Apple and iPhone.

iPhone X was diluted by iPhone 8 and many people are still wary of first generation hardware.

With the 6.1" iPhone, Apple is clearly targeting the mainstream customers who want the thin-bezel form factor without the price. The entire lineup is expected to be refreshed.

4.7" - SE 2 (maybe)
    5.8" - iPhone 11
    6.1" - iPhone 11+
    6.5" - iPhone 11XL

5. macfacts macrumors 68040

macfacts

Are you saying this because you think 2017 could have been better?

6. Brandonjr36 macrumors 68000

Brandonjr36

Hope they bring back Touch ID. I’ll sell my current x and get a new one if they do...

7. nviz22 thread starter macrumors 603

nviz22

The software fragmentation is interesting because the 8+ side is more smooth to me than the gesture based X since it takes a bit of getting used to since it isn't so intuitive. Control Center is at an awkward spot compared to most iOS devices. If they could make the universal form factor this year and remove the home button on each device? I would be appreciative.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 5, 2018 ---
    The SE will probably be a reskinned iPhone 7 or iPhone 8 without a headphone jack in all likelihood. I think it will be like an 8. But at the same time, they may skimp out on 3D Touch and the Taptic Engine.

iOS 12 better introduce more iPad features like split-screen multi-tasking since that can be optional for those who need it to make their phones more productivity-centric.
    Yeah, I was an X adopter but returned it when I got the 8+ as a present. I would appreciate FaceID, TouchID, a thin-bezel form factor, and a redesigned body minus the price tag. I would rather stay with iOS if it can bridge the gap between the iPad and iPhone while also adding some key features Android uses (multiple accounts, etc).
    Yes and no. iOS 11 could've succeeded better if the X' concept was available for 3 form factor points with some compromises. The LCD panel on the 8+ isn't that below the OLED's level. To take the Google/Chrome OS approach with apps working between Android and Chrome OS requires time; thus, this year's WWDC will be instrumental towards understanding the future of iOS. I am not sure if LG will be a great mobile screen manufacturer based off their recent P-OLED devices. Apple probably has a better quality control system and will be more rigorous than Google or LG themselves. Apple didn't refresh the SE in 2017, so the SE2 is going to be more price competitive with emerging markets and be in the 4" form factor market hopefully. Apple could've made FaceID more adoptable with the current crop of 2017 iPhones.

Since they left a lot on the table for 2018, a lot of segments could use a refresh. The big screen market really just got an 8+/6SSS concept. If I had to buy a big screen iPhone, I would go 7+ since the 8 is simply not worth it. You can use a 12w charger to charge the 7+ quicker than the standard 5W one. A special designed case can make the 7+ more wireless charging friendly. You already get water resistance, stereo speakers, good battery life, a nice dual camera combo, and unadulterated iOS 11 since it is on point with the 8+. The SE needs a refresh since the last model is from 2016. I do not mind the 5S design again since it was so well-crafted. Just gotta get new internals and maybe some slimmer bezels.
    If they could offer both TouchID and FaceID, it will sell devices more since other competitors offer multiple biometric options. Android has facial detection even though it is not comprehensive as FaceID. The Pixel 2's trusted face is very mediocre or unimpressive, but it gets the job done. Pixel Imprint is just a solid all-around FP sensor on the back of Google's latest device. But sadly, I think Apple will go FaceID completely since you can reduce possible concerns about TouchID with wet or sweaty fingers, retaining a home button, etc.

8. Deeds500 macrumors 6502

I can live without a home button.

I can live with Face ID.

I can live with whatever price they charge the XI Plus model at.

I can live without a headphone jack.

I can live with the protruding camera lens at the back.

But I can't live with the notch. I have been very vocal on the forum about my dissatisfaction with the X, and the notch in particular, and I've read a lot of opinions on it, good and bad. As I'm still on xmas break holidays, I thought I would go into a store yesterday to play with the X again just to make sure I have not overreacted to the notch.

The gestures I found simple, something I will pick up straihht away. Nice screen and boy, the device is extremely fluid. And whilst the display size is a bit small for me being a 3 year Plus size user, I know a bigger screen this year will fix that.

But gotdayum, the notch. No, I have not overreacted. The notch is a flaw. I don't think any other adjective can describe it more appropriately. I know it's there to house the sensors, but it's there and I could not stop noticing it. For the 20 minutes that I played with the X yesterday, it bothered and annoyed me. It's a flaw. You can dress it up anyway you want, but it's a flaw. You like it? Fine, but you're liking a flaw. You love it? That's fine too, but you're loving a flaw.

On a big screen I would rather the Plus model have a small bezel at the top (a forehead) than half a bezel where the content wraps around it. That's what the notch is, half a forehead or half a bezel. And therein lies the problem, content wraps around it. If the content did not wrap around it and they use the ears strictly for wifi and battery signals etc, and strictly nothing else, that I could live with. But when your content is wrapping around it, that's what bothers me because the notch effectively becomes a barrier, a wall or a cut out of your content. It's a hindrance. And lest we forget, one of the reasons why people want Plus models is to view content on a more immersive screen, usually in landscape mode. What's the point if there's a notch getting in the way?

To me that's the big thing Apple needs to address. If they're going to release a plus size model this year, please please please, get rid of that freakin notch, at least for the Plus model. Everything else I can live with.

Seriously, if the notch, as some have suggested, becomes a trade mark signature of this new form factor, then that's actually an indigment on Apple and the iphone itself. It's simply just a terrible flaw.

9. nviz22 thread starter macrumors 603

nviz22

Notch could've been solved by just stretching out the bezel across the screen to make the viewing experience more uniform from top to bottom. It's feasible to have the S8/S8+/Note 8/LG G6 top bezel with the sensors needed while also having an 18:9 aspect ratio and high quality display.

10. Ralfi macrumors 68030

Ralfi

This thread better not now become dominated by notch chatter due to someone who can't handle it.

Other manufacturers are using it this year, so as mentioned in the many other threads spammed with overblown notch hate, get used to it.

11. nviz22 thread starter macrumors 603

nviz22

Agreed. Anyways, back to Apple’s 2018. Hope they can have a strong 2018 with the iPhone.

12. quietstormSD macrumors 6502a

quietstormSD

I think 2017 was their big year. I mean you had at least a year and a half of a rumor drum beat leading up to the iPhone X! We are just looking for more iterative designs and sizes of the new form factor introduced in 2017 that suit our individual tastes. I know it’s outside of the iPhone forum, but I think the biggest thing Apple can do this year is a truly upgradeable modular Mac Pro.

13. Ralfi macrumors 68030

Ralfi

Those who left Apple this year will more than likely return upon one look at the 2?3?4? X-styled models. There will be a size for everybody, & with a more refined IOS by October, hopefully their devices (with more RAM?) will perform closer to their best on release than they did last year.

14. Abs_p macrumors 6502a

Rather than hardware, I want Apple to work on their software.

I used stock android for the first time in 8 years and I realized how far behind iOS is vs Android. iOS still excels w.r.t App quality but apart from that, it just feels like while Android has gotten so much better in recent years, iOS is still stuck in 2013. Now I hope I dont get flamed for saying this on a pro-apple site lol.

Apple is doing great things with hardware but their software department has been downright lagging. iOS 11 has been a ******** in all honesty and the notification system and iOS in general needs to be overhauled.

This,

https://www.behance.net/gallery/55458295/iOS-Notification-Redesign-Concept

15. Deeds500 macrumors 6502

Bla bla bla. I was on point and on topic.

16. Ralfi macrumors 68030

Ralfi

Would that have been the Pixel with stock Android?

I'm really jealous that Pixel owners have a powerful voice assistant & navigation. Both these make for a very productive phone, especially whilst behind the wheel. They're so far ahead of Siri/Apple Maps, that it hurts, every day...luckily, I'm a hybrid iPhone user, who makes good use of Google Maps voice search & the voice assistant within Chrome's 3D Touch menu.
    The irony.

OP even thought not. Respect their thread.

17. E.Lizardo macrumors 68000

Nobody here knows.

18. Abs_p macrumors 6502a

Yup. Just got the Pixel 2 XL some time back. I also have the iPhone X so I am basically able to compare both of them very nicely. I have always been skeptical of Android. I have always felt using it is like driving a $60k Kia LOL but I have been presently surprised.

I got the Google Home Mini (just like a lot of other people) and it works really really well with the Pixel and yes Google assistant is VERY good, basically makes me hate Siri.

Android stills lags in app quality, a lot of apps are **** on Android but work very well on iOS AND Safari is still the best mobile browser there is and iMessage hmm. yea. It's just so much more pleasurable to use but apart from these three things, I find myself using the Pixel a lot more than the iPhone X.

Having said that w.r.t hardware, the iPhone X handily trumps the Pixel 2 XL. For me, iPhone X running Android with iOS quality apps and Safari would be my perfect phone and that's a lot coming from someone who hasn't used Windows since 2007 and has used the iPhone since 2008 .

19. Brandonjr36 macrumors 68000

Brandonjr36

The notch isn’t going away for sometime. I don’t even notice it on my x.

20. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I won't interject my opinion one way or the other on the notch, because truthfully, it doesn't matter at this point. But if you think remotely that Apple is going to not have a notch for the iPhone X in 2018 or even the iPhone 6.5 rumored, that's not going to happen. They will indeed have a notch at least for the next generation of iPhone or two.

Apple did not bring the Notch in just for a year as a temporary basis to hide the sensors and then re-introduce an iPhone that is completely notch-less. iPhones are incremental upgrades, the next possible time we may not see a notchless iPhone, could be 2019 or later.
    Isn't the point of the thread to provoke thought for 2018? Nobody here is looking for accurate predictions based On a 'Rumored' website.

21. nviz22 thread starter macrumors 603

nviz22

Siri should get better because Apple has the resources to iron it out. Navigation should be updated (especially major updates) as an app rather than through a new iOS version.

22. macTW Suspended

2017 was a big year and 2018 likely will be too.

2017:
    - Apple Watch received LTE
    - iMac became one of the top computers for professionals with the iMac pro
    - iPhone X revolutionized the iPhone
    - iOS 11, howevermuch people complain, is one of their best iOS releases per features and enhancements
    - iPad optimized the size and iOS file management, to get closer to being a computer replacement for many
    - continued company and stock value increases

I expect 2018:
    - even better iPhone releases building off first gen tech
    - Mac Pro (Mac mini too?)
    - home pod
    - potential form factor change for Apple Watch
    - continued company and stock value increase

23. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

I expect Apple to sell more iPhone 8’s in the early part of this year and more iPhone X’s beyond September. That’s been the pattern the last couple of years where the older devices start selling as they get cheaper.

I’m concerned by the rumours that people expect only a 6.1” iPhone to replace the iPhone 8 at the next launch. That’s a very restrictive product for the mass market and a good chunk of iPhone users don’t like huge phones. The iPhone SE has its market but with a lack of 4.7” option, I think they’ll lose a fair few customers. I know I wouldn’t pay a grand for a phone and a phablet is useless for my use. I don’t want to be forced over to Android, I really don’t.

24. quietstormSD macrumors 6502a

quietstormSD

I don’t usually do this. But thanks Phil!

25. Deeds500 macrumors 6502

I did say for the plus model. There's talk there will be no notch for future ipads so I'm half hoping the same will be true for the Plus.

Anyway I don't want to say anymore, a certain poster who has commented in this thread doesn't want us talking about the notch anymore. So no more notch talk.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 6, 2018 ---
    See my comment above/