Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shuffles

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 7, 2007
dublin, ireland
Hi all,

A local seller is selling their 2018 iPad Pro 12.9” 64GB and will also accept a direct swap for a Nintendo Switch OLED (which I happen to have).

I’m looking to get an iPad (browsing, reading, writing, drawing, watching etc) and was initially looking towards an Air 4 until I came across the listing for the Pro.

64GB is enough for me and I obviously need to ask the seller questions including battery etc.

But, what are peoples thoughts? Is it too old? Should I go for it?

Here’s a link to the listing (here in Spain):

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Still an amazing iPad, I have the 12.9 M1 and still use the 2018 one more than the M1.. That says it all...
It's lighter than the M1 so more comfotable to hold. Speed-wise, it's still extremely fast, I barely notice the difference with the M1 if I don't compare them directly.
The only real downside is the 4GB RAM, which cause browser tabs to reload. And that's what I use my M1 mainly for, browsing. If you only use one tab, it won't reload, but if you use multiple tabs they will periodically reload. Whether this bothers you not it's subjective. For me it's an issue since I watch youtube from the browser (to avoid ads) and videos that I have not finished watching will reload...
Other than that, I use the 2018 for annotating, reading, watching TV etc. basically everything.
In terms of support it should be supported for another 4-5 years.

Longplays

Suspended
May 30, 2023
Cheers everyone! Any specific questions I should be asking the seller (apart from battery)?
On the Software Update or Security Update end the original 2015 iPad Pro is still supported to until now.

So your 2018 will likely enjoy more than 91 months of updates. So 8-10 years?

You'd be up for a replacement 5 years from now.

I'd likely replace my 11" after the final Security Update to a model after that final Security Update.

doolar

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2019
I still use and love my 2018 11" iPP 64 Gb. The battery is getting a bit worn, but apart from that it's a true champ. For what you are planning to do it will perform really well. The only thing were I notice the age is in the ram or lack there of. It can't keep apps open like my Iphone 13 Pro. But it's a non-issue.

The 2018 iPP is one of the most "head roomy" products Apple ever released imo.

floral

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2023
Earth
Hi, I don't think the deal is good. The Nintendo Switch OLED is a great gaming device, and can play all of the modern Nintendo games with a nice screen too, of which 100% of them the iPad lineup doesn't support. The OLED Switch was also released a year or two ago, while the 2018 iPad Pro is reaching 5.

Additionally, the price without swapping is 800 EUR, which translates to over 800 USD. For a comparison, you can buy a base model M2 iPad Pro (4 years younger than that iPad) for that money and still have some left over, not to mention having twice the storage (128GB), and twice the RAM (8GB), as well as +4 years of software support, better cameras, and better accessory support for newer accessories. It'll also have better battery life on the latest OSes.

I would recommend you don't go for that offer.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Hi, I don't think the deal is good. The Nintendo Switch OLED is a great gaming device, and can play all of the modern Nintendo games with a nice screen too, of which 100% of them the iPad lineup doesn't support. The OLED Switch was also released a year or two ago, while the 2018 iPad Pro is reaching 5.

Additionally, the price without swapping is 800 EUR, which translates to over 800 USD. For a comparison, you can buy a base model M2 iPad Pro (4 years younger than that iPad) for that money and still have some left over, not to mention having twice the storage (128GB), and twice the RAM (8GB), as well as +4 years of software support, better cameras, and better accessory support for newer accessories. It'll also have better battery life on the latest OSes.

The Nintendo Switch OLED retails for $350 in the US.

These two devices probably cost more or less the same on the used market. Besides, if the OP isn’t using his Switch anyway, why not trade it for a device he might actually use?

Now if the Switch goes for a lot more in the OP’s country’s market, then might be better to just sell the Switch and use the funds to buy an iPad.

Reactions: Digitalguy

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019

the price of the Switch OLED 800 EUR??? Is this a joke? The switch oled is around 300 EUR in Europe.... And that's new, let alone used...

Reactions: rui no onna

floral

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2023
Earth
the price of the Switch OLED 800 EUR??? Is this a joke? The switch oled is around 300 EUR in Europe.... And that's new, let alone used...
My point isn't about price. It's about the Switch having a much larger gaming library.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
My point isn't about price. It's about the Switch having a much larger gaming library.
That's up to the OP to decide what the priority is, the iPad is not just a gaming device, it can do much more.
The game library of the switch does not make this a bad deal if gaming is not your only or main priority.

Reactions: rui no onna

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013

It does but it’s pointless if one doesn’t end up actually using it.

I have a Switch that I used for maybe 1-2 months and then never used again. I just don’t play the Nintendo exclusives much and for third party games, the graphics and performance on the Switch is often quite poor.

I am enjoying the Steam Deck though and will be picking up an Asus ROG Ally (for Xbox GamePass and anti-cheat games).

Reactions: Digitalguy

floral

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2023
Earth
It does but it’s pointless if one doesn’t end up actually using it.

I have a Switch that I used for maybe 1-2 months and then never used again. I just don’t play the Nintendo exclusives much and for third party games, the graphics and performance on the Switch is often quite poor.

I am enjoying the Steam Deck though and will be picking up an Asus ROG Ally (for Xbox GamePass and anti-cheat games).
I didn't see anything about them not using it, so I assumed they were going to pay the 800 EUR... Sorry

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I didn't see anything about them not using it, so I assumed they were going to pay the 800 EUR... Sorry

The OP mentioned he has a Switch OLED so I assume he’s considering swapping.

Whether he uses the Switch or not, he didn’t say. Since he mentioned it though, perhaps he doesn’t use it often or prefers to use other devices for gaming (e.g. XSS/XSX, PS5 or gaming PC).

But yeah, the 2018 iPP is not worth it at 800 EUR. You can get a refurb M1 iPP 12.9 for around that price.

Reactions: Isengardtom

Isengardtom

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2009
The OP mentioned he has a Switch OLED so I assume he’s considering swapping.

Whether he uses the Switch or not, he didn’t say. Since he mentioned it though, perhaps he doesn’t use it often or prefers to use other devices for gaming (e.g. XSS/XSX, PS5 or gaming PC).

But yeah, the 2018 iPP is not worth it at 800 EUR. You can get a refurb M1 iPP 12.9 for around that price.
It’s including Magic Keyboard it seems but even then I’d agree this is not a great deal
the 64gb storage is pretty basic in 2023

shuffles

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 7, 2007
dublin, ireland
Hey,

Just seeing all of the replies now. I’d never pay €800 for a 2018 iPad Pro. This listing caught my attention as the seller was willing to exchange it with a Switch OLED (which I have but barely use). The iPad won’t be used for gaming (it will be my everything device outside of work). I have a PS5 & Steam Deck for gaming (I’m also considering selling my PS5 too as I love the portability of the SD).

Although I didn’t have my sights set on a 2018 iPad Pro, the possibility of a swap brought it to my attention.

I had originally been set on selling my PS5 & Switch OLED and getting an iPad Air 5 256GB (here in Spain, the 2022 iPad Pro is roughly €1,500 before accessories).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.