Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ehaugk

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 1, 2008
New Jersey
Hi guys I thought I’d post this with the hope I’m not the only one experiencing it. I successfully setup my at&t data plan last week and have been actively using mobile data. I am using the eSim capability and the physical SIM card tray is empty. It seems on an almost daily or semi daily basis, the iPad will give me a No Sim error, which even a reboot will not fix. The AT&T data plan still shows up under settings. I did find a fix - it’s an odd one. As soon as I pop open the physical sim tray, it quickly switches right back to at&t data and it works fine. Rinse and repeat about every day or so. I am on iOS 12.1.1 so am hoping maybe it’s just a bug in the beta but is anyone else experiencing this?

jsimpson

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2006
Hi guys I thought I’d post this with the hope I’m not the only one experiencing it. I successfully setup my at&t data plan last week and have been actively using mobile data. I am using the eSim capability and the physical SIM card tray is empty. It seems on an almost daily or semi daily basis, the iPad will give me a No Sim error, which even a reboot will not fix. The AT&T data plan still shows up under settings. I did find a fix - it’s an odd one. As soon as I pop open the physical sim tray, it quickly switches right back to at&t data and it works fine. Rinse and repeat about every day or so. I am on iOS 12.1.1 so am hoping maybe it’s just a bug in the beta but is anyone else experiencing this?

Mine doesn’t give a Sim error but the esim just stops working and like you if I eject the sim tray I immediately get cellular data back via the esim. I am also running 12.1.1 beta.

ehaugk

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 1, 2008
New Jersey
Mine doesn’t give a Sim error but the esim just stops working and like you if I eject the sim tray I immediately get cellular data back via the esim. I am also running 12.1.1 beta.

Ok thanks for replying. I think there must be a bug in 12.1.1 I highly doubt it’s just you and me. Will be interesting to see if there are others. I filed a feedback report as well. Hopefully they catch this in the next beta. Annoying to have to keep popping the sim tray every day!

Reactions: jsimpson

jsimpson

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2006
You’re welcome! Yeah submitted a ticket as well. What’s strange is mine hasn’t done it until last night and this morning. It was working fine until then.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Similar recent bug is if you are using a physical sim, the edit option randomly disappears in settings.app. Opening the sim tray immediately fixes it.

ehaugk

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 1, 2008
New Jersey
Definitely seems like some bugs to be worked out with the esim and iPad. At least being on the public beta we should see it sooner rather than later.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Definitely seems like some bugs to be worked out with the esim and iPad. At least being on the public beta we should see it sooner rather than later.
Given that iPad has had Esim for many years, sort of embarrassing that these cropped up now.

ssong

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2015
London, UK
I’m using my UK iPP 11 with a physical sim and I get reception for about 5 seconds before getting no service. Not sure wha the problem is.

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
Hmm, weird issue. Haven't experienced it yet, one iPad using Sim card on iPad on eSim At&t. I am not on beta just latest release.

Reactions: tps3443

ehaugk

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 1, 2008
New Jersey
Hmm, weird issue. Haven't experienced it yet, one iPad using Sim card on iPad on eSim At&t. I am not on beta just latest release.

Appreciate you replying. Helps narrow this down to likely a 12.1.1 beta issue.

Ssong sorry about your issue that sounds a bit different. I’d try to visit your carrier if possible.

sparkomatic

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2007
Orange County, CA
Interesting that I came across this thread. Got two new iPads for the the wife and me. Replacing a 10.5 and 9.7. Had a heck of a time getting them activated on AT&T. Both were just upgrades. My wife's new iPad has been working great on the eSIM. Mine worked and then lost cellular connection after a day (this was all last week). I took it to AT&T and they gave me a physical SIM. When I asked why it wouldn't work with an eSIM, the guy had no answer and said they didn't work with the eSIMs yet. Told him my wife's iPad works with the eSIM and our older iPads worked too. He then told me I could take it to the Apple Store to get it checked.

Long story short...I made an appt this week at the Genius Bar BUT my iPad is on 12.1.1 and my wife's is not. So...seeing this thread explains some things. Maybe I don't need that appt after all.

Surfer13134

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2010
Florida
I dont get the error, but I frequently get no data error. I go to Cellular settings and it will look like it hasnt been activated and then a few seconds later it will load back everything. It does this a few times. As well discounting from wifi it takes about a minute to start using cellular data.

ehaugk

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 1, 2008
New Jersey
Very cool. Just got this from Apple. Hopefully our issue has been resolved. Suppose a day or two will fell the story.

Attachments

• DB484F96-05AB-40E2-B0C3-E8E2608F00F4.png
    DB484F96-05AB-40E2-B0C3-E8E2608F00F4.png
    294.3 KB · Views: 300

eimeria

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2011
I’m getting this error too using T-Mobile. T-mobile support answer was to go pick up a physical sim from one of their local stores at no cost. We’ll see if the latest public beta helps at all. I haven’t picked up the physical sim yet.

eimeria

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2011
I updated to the public beta 16C505a and it appears to recognize the T-Mobile network. I'll give a couple of days to see if it sticks before claiming that it's fixed.

rkheyfets

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2010
NYC
You are better off using a physical AT&T Sim Card, I was having issues until I got a physical Sim Card.

eeclark

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2012
[doublepost=1552517219][/doublepost]So it’s March 13 2019 and it happened to me. Only worse because it keeps popping up and interrupting whatever I am doing. Opened a case with Apple on March 8. Being told even though I have express replacement I won’t get mine until possibly March 18 due to being on backorder. Which actually sucks since you can order one right now and get it delivered next day. Frustrated.

tps3443

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2019
NC,USA
I’ve had my cellular 11” iPad running on the AT&T pre-paid plan on the built in e-sim for about 7 days now. I’ve used around 25GB of data with no problems so far. This is the first time using my e-sim, as I’ve just recently switched to AT&T pre-paid. Before I was using Verizon prepaid on my external SIM card.

I love the freedom of being unlocked, having an esim and external SIM card. And picking the carrier I want whenever I want to.

I hope this issue doesn’t happen to me though. So far so good here! Esim is really cool so far

Last edited:
Reactions: LibbyLA

RevTEG

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2012
San Jose, Ca
I was shocked when I had to exchange my 2018 12.9. I asked Apple if they could give me my SIM card. The Genius Bar tech opened it up and what do you know, no SIM card. I had no idea that AT$T used the e-sim when I transferred my data plan. I thought I an Apple SIM. Went and checked my wife’s 10.5 pro. No SIM in hers either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.