Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xraydoc

Contributor
Original poster
Oct 9, 2005
At one point with older iPads, AT&T was locking the included (physical) Apple SIM card on the cellular iPads if you chose an AT&T data plan. The Apple SIM couldn’t then be used with a different carrier. One had to remove the Apple SIM and replace with either a fresh Apple SIM or a different carrier SIM. T-Mobile and other carriers, however, did not lock the SIM to their service.

With the current eSIM on the new iPad Pro, is it still the case that AT&T locks the eSIM or can AT&T be subscribed to temporarily, discontinued and another provider selected without going the route of popping in a physical SIM card??

I may need a week of AT&T service while traveling but I don’t want my iPads eSIM locked permanently to AT&T after that.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2011
Your reference to AT&T locking the Apple SIM (not eSIM) only applies to iPads purchased/activated via AT&T stores/online. Not applicable if you purchased elsewhere.

eSIM = never locked.

Last edited:

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
At one point with older iPads, AT&T was locking the included (physical) Apple SIM card on the cellular iPads if you chose an AT&T data plan. The Apple SIM couldn’t then be used with a different carrier. One had to remove the Apple SIM and replace with either a fresh Apple SIM or a different carrier SIM. T-Mobile and other carriers, however, did not lock the SIM to their service.

With the current eSIM on the new iPad Pro, is it still the case that AT&T locks the eSIM or can AT&T be subscribed to temporarily, discontinued and another provider selected without going the route of popping in a physical SIM card??

I may need a week of AT&T service while traveling but I don’t want my iPads eSIM locked permanently to AT&T after that.
They’re never locked.

xraydoc

Contributor
Original poster
Oct 9, 2005
Your reference to AT&T locking the Apple SIM (not eSIM) only applies to iPads purchased/activated via AT&T stores/online. Not applicable if you purchased elsewhere.

eSIM = never locked.
The iPad itself was never locked to iPad, but the Apple SIM itself would be - regardless of where the iPad was purchased - if att was selected as a carrier on the iPad itself and a certain amount of time passed. Or at least it was the case with the first release of the Apple SIM. But no, the iPad itself was never locked.

But good to know the embedded eSIM doesn’t get locked (bought my iPad at an Apple store).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.