Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hazeof3dd

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2005
Has anyone found any good leather accessories for the 2018 pro? I'm not thinking of sleeves, something more like a smart cover or folio. I have the Apple Smart folio for my 11" pro but I really don't enjoy the feel of it, I miss having a leather cover.

Reactions: gjr74

cmoore49

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2008
Has anyone found any good leather accessories for the 2018 pro? I'm not thinking of sleeves, something more like a smart cover or folio. I have the Apple Smart folio for my 11" pro but I really don't enjoy the feel of it, I miss having a leather cover.
[doublepost=1544283928][/doublepost]Sena seems to be the only one at this time that has a leather folio or cover. I ordered on Black Friday at 40% off and I’m now waiting for delivery. If there are others available I haven’t been able to find them

Porterhouse

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2011
USA
Probably. It doesn't take much adaptation when they aren't covering the sides. (And yet, I've ordered one anyway.)

I'm very curious to see what else comes available.

Enmanuel

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2012
Boston
[doublepost=1544283928][/doublepost]Sena seems to be the only one at this time that has a leather folio or cover. I ordered on Black Friday at 40% off and I’m now waiting for delivery. If there are others available I haven’t been able to find them

Could you please post pictures of it when you receive it? I'm considering it but would like to see the fit first.

Reactions: Porterhouse

Nipommu

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2011
Check out vaja, orbino, piel frama. I'm personally waiting to see what vaja and orbino puts out.

Silver Idaten

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2015
Stratford, CT
Nothing was as good as the real leather folios for the pre-10.5 iPads but Apple does not make anymore. I do not like the sharp edges on the plastic smart folio on my 11”, but it does protect the front and back.
Despite owning a Pro 11, I’m doing an out of warranty replacement for my busted Air 2 and part of the reason is so I can keep using the leather Smart Case that I have with it. That thing was the best ever, man I wish they’d bring that back.

piblondin

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2009
Despite owning a Pro 11, I’m doing an out of warranty replacement for my busted Air 2 and part of the reason is so I can keep using the leather Smart Case that I have with it. That thing was the best ever, man I wish they’d bring that back.
Agreed!

RevTEG

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2012
San Jose, Ca
I do love their stuff. Good people to work with. The 3M tape thing, according to other postings, seems to work well. I have to admit I was a little wary of the 3M tape thing. But others have said it works well and is easy to re-use as needed.

I contacted P&Q and they told me that although reusable their 3M adhesive wouldn’t hold up well enough to go back and forth to the keyboard Folio. They recommended I purchase additional 3M strips or stick their cover on top of Apples keyboard Folio. No thanks. All that extra thickness and weight. Not for me. I really wish they had just used strong magnets like Apple did. Instead they rushed to get their cover out. Other than the adhesive, their craftsmanship is very nice.

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
I contacted P&Q and they told me that although reusable their 3M adhesive wouldn’t hold up well enough to go back and forth to the keyboard Folio. They recommended I purchase additional 3M strips or stick their cover on top of Apples keyboard Folio. No thanks. All that extra thickness and weight. Not for me. I really wish they had just used strong magnets like Apple did. Instead they rushed to get their cover out. Other than the adhesive, their craftsmanship is very nice.

The magnetic mount certainly makes a lot of sense. So far, other than Apple, I haven't been able to find a magnetic mount folio. A leather one sure would be nice. In the meantime I'll use the Apple folio, and use a leather sleeve. No "pleather" for me ;)

Reactions: RevTEG

victry1

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2008
NJ
I bought one from P&Q. I really like it. Not real convenient if you want to use the virtual keyboard but doable. I paired it with an Apple Magic keyboard and so far everything is working out fairly well. The Apple keyboard is very light so no hassle with transport. I do not find it too bulky or heavy. (The case too)

There is also a place called Saddleback Leather that used to make cases but I don’t k ow if they still do.

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
I bought one from P&Q. I really like it. Not real convenient if you want to use the virtual keyboard but doable. I paired it with an Apple Magic keyboard and so far everything is working out fairly well. The Apple keyboard is very light so no hassle with transport. I do not find it too bulky or heavy. (The case too)

There is also a place called Saddleback Leather that used to make cases but I don’t k ow if they still do.

How well does the P&Q’s leather folio work with the cover simply folded behind the back? This review seems to say the elastic band can hold the cover folded back.

“The strap can hold the case closed during transport and can also secure the front of the case behind the iPad during use.”

Would not the band cover the screen? What color did you favor. I kind of like the black if it is grainier.

http://ipadinsight.com/ipad-accesso...l-oxford-leather-case-for-the-2018-ipad-pros/

Last edited:

Porterhouse

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2011
USA
How well does the P&Q’s leather folio work with the cover simply folded behind the back? This review seems to say the elastic band can hold the cover folded back.

“The strap can hold the case closed during transport and can also secure the front of the case behind the iPad during use.”

Would not the band cover the screen? What color did you favor. I kind of like the black if it is grainier.

http://ipadinsight.com/ipad-accesso...l-oxford-leather-case-for-the-2018-ipad-pros/

I bought one and sent it back. I can tell you that the band will hold it if you fold it back without a problem, especially after you've done it a few times and the leather is broken in. The band isn't over the screen at all; it's on the edge of the cover. It's the glue that holds the iPP in place during this situation.

victry1

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2008
NJ

I have never used the band to hold it open. It works ok with the virtual keyboard but I wouldn't want to use it for a ton of typing. I have an Apple Magic keyboard I use when I need to do tons of typing.

Royksöpp

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2013
I don't like any of those. They all look heavy and bulky. I would skip the Sena, unless you want to double the weight of your iPad. The Smart Folio by Apple is so light and well made. It's shame they didn't make it in leather. I would buy a Red version in a heartbeat!

mark-in-mk

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2011
Have a little look at the THISISGROUND Mod Open. Clever modular design and awesome quality - at a price....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.