2018 iPad Pro Models Could Have Very Fast Octa-Core A11X Bionic Chip

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 15, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple's next-generation iPad Pro models released in 2018 will feature octa-core processors, based on Taiwanese supplier TSMC's improved 7nm manufacturing process, according to Chinese website MyDrivers.

[​IMG]
    iPad Pro with slim bezels and no Home button rendered by Benjamin Geskin

The report, citing sources within Apple's supply chain, claims the eight cores in the tentatively named A11X Bionic chip will include three high-performance "Monsoon" cores and five energy-efficient "Mistral" cores.

Like the A11 Bionic chip in the latest iPhone models, which is built on a 10nm process, the A11X chip will reportedly feature TSMC's integrated fan-out wafer level packaging, or InFO WLP for short.

The chip will also presumably include a next-generation M11 coprocessor and neural engine for artificial intelligence tasks, such as processing facial recognition given rumors about Face ID on 2018 iPad Pro models.

The eight-core processor should unsurprisingly result in CPU performance improvements on next-generation iPad Pro models.

Our own Chris Jenkins provided an in-depth look at the architecture of Apple's A11 Bionic chip. He also highlighted details about TSMC's improved 7nm process and advanced InFO packaging process for 2018.

Apple's current 10.5-inch and 12.9-inch iPad Pro models have an A10X Fusion chip based on TSMC's 10nm fabrication process.

In addition to gaining Face ID, next-generation iPad Pro models are expected to have an iPhone X form factor with slimmer bezels and no Home button. However, the tablets will reportedly continue to have LCD displays due to yield rates.

Article Link: 2018 iPad Pro Models Could Have Very Fast Octa-Core A11X Bionic Chip

2. Scottsoapbox macrumors 6502a

Scottsoapbox

Where exactly are you supposed to grip that rendered iPad?

3. Markoth macrumors 6502

Markoth

eight cores will likely NOT produce performance improvements in most real-world scenarios, actually. Most applications cannot take advantage of that many cores.

4. Crosscreek macrumors 68030

Crosscreek

5. Beeplance macrumors 68000

Beeplance

Breaking News: New generation iPad gets new generation chips.

Like duh?

6. Amacfa macrumors 68000

Amacfa

It would help in case ore 5 lower power cores.

7. Blackstick macrumors 6502a

Blackstick

I know "more cores, more speed" looks great in marketing, but the reality is that precious few apps (and use cases) require it, and there's a tax to pay on mobile devices in terms of battery life.

That being said, Face ID is pretty much a given, and shrinking bezels is awesome. I doubt we'll see OLED screens this go around though.

8. jsalda macrumors regular

jsalda

I understand technology moving forward, but my 9.7" iPad Pro is plenty fast enough....

9. Gorms macrumors 6502

Gorms

Getting ever closer to the switchover from Intel to the A-series chips I see

10. BaccaBossMC macrumors regular

BaccaBossMC

My first-gen iPad Pro renders 1080p footage faster than real time in iMovie, so it would be interesting to see how this performs for 4K. I would also appreciate a battery bump from the efficiency cores, since I kill my iPad almost every day (with about 10 hours of use).

11. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Looking forward to my next iPad Pro upgrade ;) .

I still have and like my late 2015 15” rMBP, however my 10.5 iPad Pro has mostly replaced it at this point. Now that I have found good video and photo editing tools, Multi-tasking is better, and I have native file access to iCloud and Drive, I am having little need for my laptop.

In some ways, the iPad Pro has become the touchscreen Mac I have wanted for years.

12. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

13. dumastudetto macrumors 68030

It would be really incredible to see those bionic processors in iPad Pro. The possibilities for developers would be literally endless.

14. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

What is the best guess as to when these will be out?

15. jazz1 macrumors 68000

jazz1

Won't they make it out of glass (front and back) so you can see through it ;)

16. MrX8503 macrumors 68020

17. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

More powerful chips are nice. But many iPad Pro users are asking for other features to make iPads more versatile….. like say…. an SDXC card slot?

18. scrapesleon macrumors 6502a

scrapesleon

Thank goodness I didn’t buy a new iPad this year next year I’m upgrading to this one

19. mediamentor macrumors newbie

WHAT?... no Notch at the top?... I'm not buying it!... :p

20. KONVICTED Suspended

KONVICTED

Maybe next June at WWDC.

21. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Same way as the iPhone 10, gripping the sides.

22. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

I think Apple will add a notch to the iPad so their devices have a family resemblance. If the notch made the iPhone screen better I think it would do the same for the iPad.

23. doelcm82 macrumors 68040

doelcm82

I think "many iPad Pro users" are going to be disappointed.

24. lokey macrumors regular

lokey

My 9.7in Pro is great. Doesn't need to be any faster really, but I'd upgrade for Face ID and a better Smart Keyboard.

25. Ayemerica macrumors 65816

Ayemerica