Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Marzel

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2018
this... is something I’ve never heard before.

There is a reason they don’t make TVs it White bezels.

It looks ugly. I know it’s a matter of opinion but the bezels kind of fade away when they are black. When they are white it’s impossible not to see them.

Never in my life have I heard someone refer the black front iPad as weird looking. In fact, it’s the exact opposite.
I’m pretty sure this time Apple didn’t add a white front option because of the FaceID system. It probably looks too weird with all those sensors.

danj555

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2014

It looks ugly. I know it’s a matter of opinion but the bezels kind of fade away when they are black. When they are white it’s impossible not to see them.

Never in my life have I heard someone refer the black front iPad as weird looking. In fact, it’s the exact opposite.

Wow so interesting, you've never met someone who had and also liked their white iPad? Everyone you've talked to hated their white iPad? Thats not a thing man.

I just didn't like the fact that I didn't have the option to make a choice. Remember it's weird to me because I've owned a white iPad in various forms for 7 years.

Reactions: artfossil

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
Ordered Space Grey 256GB but after mulling it over I’m fairly sure I want Silver 512GB... Damn it! Going to have try to get one at a store on launch day.

techno-Zen

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2015
Gilbert, AZ
Same here - I’m quite torn and would love to see some good photos of both.
One thing these hands on YouTube need to start doing is just show the damn device.. slowly. Not anxiously waving it around like a mad person..

Instead they jumble off the same old features, ect.. you want hits? For people interested in purchasing? Just show the hardware! my peeve

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
One thing these hands on YouTube need to start doing is just show the damn device.. slowly. Not anxiously waving it around like a mad person..

Instead they jumble off the same old features, ect.. you want hits? For people interested in purchasing? Just show the hardware! my peeve

Exactly what I thought. And almost all photos / videos I saw are really just showing the front of the device. I get it, really it’s about the new screen and design.

Even on Apple’s website its tough to see the back/casing. No full shots of it, just small snippets of the edges.

lakerchick4life

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2007
Gonna get Space Grey..honestly wish they would have included a rose gold one, not sure why, but oh well..will cover it with a nice purple case once ZUGU from amazon comes out

artfossil

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2015
Florida
As someone who just bought.... was forced to buy a black iPad for the first time since ever (iPad 2)... I'm pretty unhappy.

This is the first launch since iPad OG that there wasn't a white front option. I had gold on my last iPad and loved it.

But I care less about the back because its gunna end up in a case for its life. I'm left looking at a weird black iPad.

As someone who wouldn't buy an iPad until they made white, I sympathize.

But, there isn't much black left with the narrower bezels:

Screen Shot 2018-10-31 at 4.29.52 PM.png

Well, and there's a reason photographs are framed with white mats. To each her/his own. Personally, I focus on the content, not the border. :)

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I wished I had purchased silver. I'm used to it being white on the front so I went straight to space gray while I was quickly checking out after the event. The silver with the straight sides and black front reminds me of my original iPad.

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
I wished I had purchased silver. I'm used to it being white on the front so I went straight to space gray while I was quickly checking out after the event. The silver with the straight sides and black front reminds me of my original iPad.
Exactly! The likeness to the original iPad is part of what changed my mind, but of course not until after I placed a SG order and the rest of the dates shipped.

Reactions: profets

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Exactly! The likeness to the original iPad is part of what changed my mind, but of course not until after I placed a SG order and the rest of the dates shipped.
Oh well. I was talking with someone else about it and basically the space gray usually isn't that dark anyway. There's also a chance of me buying a pro desktop next year and using this as an extra external display so at least it will match better.

Mabus51

Suspended
Aug 16, 2007
Wow so interesting, you've never met someone who had and also liked their white iPad? Everyone you've talked to hated their white iPad? Thats not a thing man.

I just didn't like the fact that I didn't have the option to make a choice. Remember it's weird to me because I've owned a white iPad in various forms for 7 years.
I don’t know anyone that likes the white ones either. White devices look cheap and generic. Wish they would update the AirPods with black.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
This is the best I can find from Apple’s site to show silver and space grey. Though it may even be a generated image, not an actual photo.

I think it gives a pretty good idea of the comparison.

D17AEE34-A5A5-4C63-B4EB-4A9A52681D08.jpeg

Ethan Coohill

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2015
Denver
I was really hoping for gold since my XS Max is gold and my iPad Pro 9.7 is gold, so was disappointed with just 2 color choices, but to me silver is so boring and the space gray goes well with the new body. So I went with Space Gray
It’s funny. I’m usually a space grey everything kind of guy. Have a space grey iPhone XS Max. But my 2018 MacBook is silver because it was $50 cheaper, and for some reason I just think the silver iPad Pro looks better than the space grey. I don’t know why. But I just do. Went with silver 256gb

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs
I don’t know anyone that likes the white ones either. White devices look cheap and generic. Wish they would update the AirPods with black.

White fan here. More of us out here than you may think. White bezel is the traditional Apple color, and to me looks clean, simple, and light. Black electronics are everywhere, so for me something different.

Last edited:

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
White fan here. More of us out here than you may think. White bezel is the traditional Apple color, and to me looks clean, simple, and light. Black elecronics are everywhere, so for me something different.
I'm guessing that likely also means black bezels sell better long-term for Apple. It probably didn't make financial sense for Apple to have too many SKUs of a device that sells considerably less than an iPhone. With the iPhone, just 5% already means 10 million people want it.

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs
I'm guessing that likely also means black bezels sell better long-term for Apple. It probably didn't make financial sense for Apple to have too many SKUs of a device that sells considerably less than an iPhone. With the iPhone, just 5% already means 10 million people want it.

Yes, that’s possibly true. I haven't seen the statistics on white vs black bezel popularity. But then as we now see, black only for the 2018 Pro. I’m actually surprised white was abandoned, so you may be right about the financial perspective. Old white bezel fans need to just fade away, I guess!

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Yes, that’s possibly true. I haven't seen the statistics on white vs black bezel popularity. But then as we now see, black only for the 2018 Pro. I’m actually surprised white was abandoned, so you may be right about the financial perspective. Old white bezel fans need to just fade away, I guess!
Or be content with lower end iPads (higher volume, lower margin). :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.