2018 iPad Pro will not be replaced for a long time

Discussion in 'iPad' started by macguy360, Nov 4, 2018.

1. macguy360 macrumors 6502a

The 2018 iPad Pro is built on 7nm technology. Intel is still working on bringing 10nm mainstream. We won’t see a smaller process than 7nm for several years.

We most likely won’t see another iPad Pro for 2 years. If we do see an updgrade next year, it will most likely been in screen technology (I.e. OLED or Micro LED).

2. sincere08189 macrumors newbie

I second this. I think this upcoming ipad should be powerful enough to last a few years. I am excited to see what comes out of it. I wish apple would bring some of their editing apps to it.

3. AppleHaterLover macrumors 68000

Well, iPad Pro lasted 21 months, iPad Pro 2 lasted 15 months.

I think this one will last quite a while but since next year’s iPhones will likely be a very significant upgrade (instead of this year’s non-upgrade), I wouldn’t flat out say this one wont’t last long. I think we will see a new one in early 2020.

4. Altis macrumors 68030

Don't underestimate Apple's ways of making sure you want to upgrade in just a few years. ;)

5. alphaswift macrumors regular

A shrink from 7nm might take a couple of years, but an Ipad is more than the size of it's transistors. You can improve dozens of things inside an Ipad to make it better. There will be a new Ipad in 2019.

6. alex00100 macrumors 6502

Are you insane? There's definitely going to be an iphone next year and the ipad will use X version of whatever processor iphone uses.

7. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

Lol, Apple has updated their devices without a nm decrease in their processors before. There is a lot they can change and that includes the processor even without the nm change.

8. jsmitty macrumors 6502

jsmitty

or just a few times in just a few years

9. flur macrumors 68020

flur

Regardless of whatever Apple chooses to do, the 2018 iPad Pro coming to me won’t be updated for several years at a minimum, because I broke the piggie bank with a hammer on this one. My secret to not being compelled to upgrade is that I don’t watch the announcements or read this site near announcement time.

10. roguefury macrumors member

roguefury

You’re all forgetting that The Johny is working on baby’s breath gold aluminum

11. Peter K. macrumors 6502a

Peter K.

Don’t be so sure; there was no A11X.

12. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

There was still an iPad update last year and it used the most recent version of A series chips.

13. tambur123 macrumors member

Yes, it will be replaced with a model with more RAM probably 6/8 GB. You know you are somehow future proof when you are buying the first iteration with a memory bump because Apple is sticking with the same amount of memory for 2-3 generations.

14. richpjr macrumors 68040

richpjr

Until Apple does some serious upgrades to iOS, it sure seems like a lot of that power is wasted by a crippled OS.

15. pdaholic macrumors 65816

pdaholic

The only year we didn't get a regular-sized iPad upgrade was 2015, when they introduced the jumbo iPad (12.9). Otherwise we've gotten an iPad upgrade every year since it was released in 2010 (iPad Mini excluded). Chances are very high there will be some sort of upgrade to the iPad again next year. Let's face it, Apple cares most about its iOS devices and puts more money into their development and new releases.