Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
Just so nobody thinks I'm nuts a bunch of people were having the exact same issue documented over on the Apple support forums: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8648083

It sounds like more recent batches of these keyboards don't exhibit the issue but some of the initial models did. I'm going to see if I can get a replacement of my keyboard, hopefully that will resolve it. I'm still very curious as to what the issue is. Have to believe it's cabin pressure but still a very odd (and interesting) issue.

RevTEG

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2012
San Jose, Ca
Just so nobody thinks I'm nuts a bunch of people were having the exact same issue documented over on the Apple support forums: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8648083

It sounds like more recent batches of these keyboards don't exhibit the issue but some of the initial models did. I'm going to see if I can get a replacement of my keyboard, hopefully that will resolve it. I'm still very curious as to what the issue is. Have to believe it's cabin pressure but still a very odd (and interesting) issue.

Im sure Apple will work with you and replace it. I had zero issues with the original 2015 Smart Keyboard. Didn’t have any issues with the additional one I bought in 2017 and no issues with the current 2018 smart folio keyboard. Not being able to use it while flying would be a huge no go for me. I can’t see how the Smart Keyboard would have issues verses any other keyboard. By the way, I don’t think your nuts. You must just have a defective keyboard.
[doublepost=1562697986][/doublepost]

I just read the link you posted. I don’t think that’s your issue. I noticed that the people posting stated that Apple tested their keyboard at the environmental altitude “pressure” of 10,000 feet. Airlines keep the pressurization inside the planes at 8,000 feet on older planes and 6,000 feet on newer planes. Outside altitude and inside pressure altitude are completely different. Your keyboard has most likely never been above 8,000 ft cabin pressure.

Last edited:

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Just made 2 United trans-Pacific flights with my iPad Pro 11". No issues. Watch movies on iPad pro both ways. Also typed a couple of emails on the keyboard.

kidwei

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2007

I’m on a flight right now and experiencing the same issue. I noticed this a few weeks ago too but didn’t make the connection after it started working on the ground again.

Were you able to get Apple to replace your keyboard? How can you convince them there’s a problem when it only happens on planes?

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Still no issues for me. Did 2 flights in last 4 days with 11" iPad Pro. Folio keyboard worked fine.

Have people made sure the 3 keyboard contacts are connecting to the 3 contact points on the back of their iPad Pro's. My 11" iPad Pro can slip a bit and get misaligned when it moves in my backpack. A quick check and realignment fixes the issue.

kidwei

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2007
Still no issues for me. Did 2 flights in last 4 days with 11" iPad Pro. Folio keyboard worked fine.

Have people made sure the 3 keyboard contacts are connecting to the 3 contact points on the back of their iPad Pro's. My 11" iPad Pro can slip a bit and get misaligned when it moves in my backpack. A quick check and realignment fixes the issue.

Yes definitely checked, cleaned and reseated connectors multiple times. No help. I think it’s a real thing. I bought mine at launch for what it’s worth.

Jonathantuba

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2017
UK
I have never had this problem, and I fly for business at least once a month. Sounds like some weird fault

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
I’m on a flight right now and experiencing the same issue. I noticed this a few weeks ago too but didn’t make the connection after it started working on the ground again.

Were you able to get Apple to replace your keyboard? How can you convince them there’s a problem when it only happens on planes?
I was able to get them to replace my keyboard. I got into my appointment, went into a long-winded speech and explanation about the issue and how I was sure I had correlated it to be a problem with launch-era Smart Keyboards in pressurized airplane cabins. The Genius looked at me like I was nuts and just said ".. well let's get you a new keyboard then."

Looked a little something like this:
tumblr_o16n2kBlpX1ta3qyvo1_1280.jpg

I have not yet tested my replacement on an airplane but I will in about 5 weeks.

Yes definitely checked, cleaned and reseated connectors multiple times. No help. I think it’s a real thing. I bought mine at launch for what it’s worth.
From what I read on the Apple Support forums, it seems like only the early models had this problem. I would absolutely love to know what the technical engineering issue was and how it was resolved. Everyone on those forums seems to report that their replacements (or newer models in general) do not experience this issue.

I bought mine in June this year. Maybe they fixed it?
^^

Jonathantuba

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2017
UK
Interesting, I have not had this problem although having one of the very first iPad Pro 2018 and flying a lot. Useful to know this is a known issue if I ever do get this problem. Must be something to do was pressurised cabin

kidwei

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2007
I got my keyboard replaced. I showed a video of the issue happening on the flight and the genius tech had no issues with replacing it under warranty. Unfortunately, I’m not flying for a while so I won’t know if this fixes it until after my warranty is likely over.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.