2018 iPhone X?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Vanilla35, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Vanilla35, Sep 13, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2017

Vanilla35 macrumors 68040

Vanilla35

Anyone want to speculate about what they're going to do for the next iPhone X (10)?

Are they going to treat this as it's own line, and continue to release an iPhone 9, and iPhone 11 next year? Are they going to ditch the iPhone 8 line, and only have a new iPhone come at the $999 entry level price next year?

If so, is this going to be the iPhone XS (iPhone 10s)? Is this going to have the same design that was announced yesterday but with internal upgrades? Or is it going to be a redesign, since they basically used the same chassis they've been using since the iPhone 6.

I think it's a given that next year it definitely will have Pro Motion included. What does everyone think about Face ID? They seemed to double down on it at least in the presentation, by stating that it's the future of unlocking your phone (meaning they won't be reverting back to Touch ID, or including it in the future), however do we really think they'll stick to that indefinitely? Is Apple capable of speeding up Face ID by 40-60% to put in on par with Touch ID's speed, by next year, with a Face ID 2.0?

Lots of thoughts, I'd like to hear others opinions on the matter.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 13, 2017 ---

Also, keep in mind that in 2018 Apple plans on introducing a larger 6.4" OLED phone. Likely the Plus variant of the X. This will be put into the lineup, and have to make sense as well. I think the obvious progression is to remove the regular iPhone line (7, 8, etc) and design. What I'm most curious about is how they manage to handle the price, since right now the regular X model is $999. Do they drop the price of the X to $800 next year, and only introduce a new X+ ? Any way you slice it, things look weird.

2. Vanilla35 thread starter macrumors 68040

Vanilla35

Nothing from you guys? I find this stuff interesting to hypothesize.

3. Starfyre macrumors 68030

Starfyre

Given what Tim Cook said in that this product (iPhone X) will pave the way for the next decade... my thought is they are probably not going to release an iPhone 9, and instead we'll get iPhone XI, XII (or iPhone 11, 12, 13, etc.). Or we might get an iPhone XT if they do include Touch ID (which I hope they won't).

4. Vanilla35 thread starter macrumors 68040

Vanilla35

Yeah I figure since they've separated the two phones they may just discontinue the 8 next year (or not introduce a 9) and then lower the price of the X, and introduce a new X+. I agree series 1, 2, 3 etc, or they may go back to "the new iPhone" etc.

Seems to be the only thing that really makes sense.