Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Does this mean Apple will also allow you to download two copies of the same app, such as two copies of WhatsApp? One WhatsApp for phone number #1, and one WhatsApp for phone number #2?
No.
[doublepost=1530541465][/doublepost]
1. Will I be able to get the Apple SIM for my iPhone 8?

2. When we travel into another country, we normally buy a tourist SIM card, how will it works with the Apple SIM card? Don’t really understand how they can add or remove a number into your SIM card.

Thx
1) no
2) same as iPad works now. You go into the settings app, you choose an available carrier, select a plan, and enter your billing information.

5hugknight

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2016
The biggest benefit I would see for the 'non-world traveler' would be the ability to truly separate work & personal life without carrying around two phones...

bladerunner2000

Suspended
Jun 12, 2015
not true. use wireless for couple of months and you would never think of going back to wired ones. That was right move in the right direction. Sony is continuing with head phone jack coz they want some leverage to sell their phones which still nobody buys.

Oh I get it, you think wireless didn't exist until the headphone jack was removed. :rolleyes:

Reactions: DCIFRTHS

palmerc2

macrumors 68000
Feb 29, 2008
Los Angeles
The biggest benefit I would see for the 'non-world traveler' would be the ability to truly separate work & personal life without carrying around two phones...

I downloaded the app called “Burner” a few weeks ago and have a truly separate phone number which I now give to companies and random people I meet. I rarely give out my main phone number anymore.

Of course if you already have an existing work phone number you couldn’t use that with Burner.

TaviDuprix

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2016
Tennessee
Simple. My girlfriend fiancé can call 2 my official phone number and random females that i know from the party and places can call me 2 my second sim. When my woman is at home i can turn off one sim. Very useful for any donjuan lady’s man. You know what i mean? One sim 4 the gurls and one sim 4 the wife so yes. Thiz reduces problems. Double life double sim = gre8 solution

How about not being a dirtbag and just telling your wife monogamy is not your thing. Nothing wrong with wanting multiple partners but wrecking another person's life in the process is totally unnecessary. Just my 2 cents.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
No SIM at all, just a secure chip or software on phones, and it would be usable in all countries, you could easily register your phone before even going to the other country, just do your homework, find a foreign (cheap) provider, register your phone, that's it.
Then the carrier can remotely shutdown your iPhone without prior notice for whatever reason. With eSIM. That’s even easier.

saudade

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2015
How about not being a dirtbag and just telling your wife monogamy is not your thing. Nothing wrong with wanting multiple partners but wrecking another person's life in the process is totally unnecessary. Just my 2 cents.

Hey Neddy, u r right but i gonna tell u something that will make u think im absolutely right: my girl wants to wait 4 the wedding night. She is okay, very special, roses r red. She said that I need to find a way to get the stress out with a hobby like join sport teams like chess, pigeon shooting or kung fù maybe? I love her and i keep high standards, values and morals but until she decides to open her....heart, well, i gonna have some extra spicy experiences around with random chicks so i need the double sim. Everybody i know has a love in every port, why you think phones comes with 2 sims Neddy? That’s the real use dud.

supercoolmanchu

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2012
Hollywood
Simple. My girlfriend fiancé can call 2 my official phone number and random females that i know from the party and places can call me 2 my second sim. When my woman is at home i can turn off one sim. Very useful for any donjuan lady’s man. You know what i mean? One sim 4 the gurls and one sim 4 the wife so yes. Thiz reduces problems. Double life double sim = gre8 solution

Pleeez. If u waz donjuanin’ legit, one lady assistant be answerin all your phonz.
Nobody 4 real has time for all that sim ****.

Reactions: saudade

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Not if it's forbidden by law.
Also recently, I find I can swap SIM card and use another account’s data without unlocking the other phone. Can’t do that with eSIM.

Hackers may also be able to remotely disable a phone with eSIM and user will have no way to re-enable them. Once button-less, port-less phone becomes a norm, the only thing user can do is to visit Apple or carrier shop. That’s not fun.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Also recently, I find I can swap SIM card and use another account’s data without unlocking the other phone. Can’t do that with eSIM.

Hackers may also be able to remotely disable a phone with eSIM and user will have no way to re-enable them. Once button-less, port-less phone becomes a norm, the only thing user can do is to visit Apple or carrier shop. That’s not fun.

You seem to be paranoid, and you don't seem to get what I said which I see from your first alinea, if SIMS can't be locked by law it isn't an issue.
And, if there's a chip like Apple's secure enclave it's nearly impossible to break into.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
You seem to be paranoid, and you don't seem to get what I said which I see from your first Alinea, if SIMS can't be locked by law it isn't an issue.
And, if there's a chip like Apple's secure enclave it's nearly impossible to break into.
Yes, I admit I am paranoid, as I have no idea how this would work. I am also afraid of the future of a device, such as current smart home speakers, can be controlled to do anything without user notice.
We will see.

saudade

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2015
Pleeez. If u waz donjuanin’ legit, one lady assistant be answerin all your phonz.
Nobody 4 real has time for all that sim ****.

ROTFL dud u made my day but thiz is no bueno 4 females. Never put the woman in charge of these operations 4 2 reasons: sabotage & the lack of the personal touch that makes the difference. You know, you must to prepare the chick before by talking and talking.. Females 4 not visual like male, they r sensitive so u need 2 talk them long n sweet and promise things like flowers, a big ring and everything. Once u created a certain grade of hope bum, she’ll be ready 2 dance if u know what i mean. So real man needs 2 sims..

Last edited:

palmerc2

macrumors 68000
Feb 29, 2008
Los Angeles
Wouldn't it make more sense to have two accounts for the one app.

That would be better! Quite frankly I already do have two copies of WhatsApp on my phone, as I downloaded the TuTu App (no jailbreak required) and I’ve downloaded WhatsApp ++ for my 2nd (virtual) mobile number.

I would much prefer to have two phone numbers on the official WhatsApp app though, as the ++ version doesn’t backup the chats to iCloud. Plus there’s an advertisement pop-up I can’t get rid of.

Cloudane

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2007
Sweet Apple Acres
buying an iPad that is locked to EE?
oh. my. god.

Well to be fair

1) EE is easily the best coverage in my area and I've never had any complaints about them as a provider

2) It's a 32GB 4G-enabled Pro model (9.7) that was in mint condition, less than a year old, with 12 month warranty on top of the remaining Apple one, for £370. At that price, compared to £749 new for the (unlocked) equivalent, I really don't mind - the slightly newer 10.5 one that was out at the time and the convenience of "not having to pay £9 to unlock and use the SIM tray if ever I want to use a different provider" are not worth an additional £379 to me... could've just bought a second one on another network :)

Fortunately on the internal dead SIM issue mine had only been deactivated a few days prior to me noticing and EE's customer service people managed to reactivate it in the window before it was killed off for good. Now I have a reminder to chuck £1 on it every 5 months...

Reactions: jpn

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003

Fortunately on the internal dead SIM issue mine had only been deactivated a few days prior to me noticing and EE's customer service people managed to reactivate it in the window before it was killed off for good. Now I have a reminder to chuck £1 on it every 5 months...

thanks for your info. it does sound that price-wise it was a good investment.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
No, but that is what you're implying. You know, I have no use for Bluetooth but I don't bitch about it being on my phone.

Let that sink in.

Not exactly the same thing:

Having BT on your phone doesn't affect you negatively.

Removing the headphone jack has a negative effect on people who want to use wired headphones.

bladerunner2000

Suspended
Jun 12, 2015
Not exactly the same thing:

Having BT on your phone doesn't affect you negatively.

Removing the headphone jack has a negative effect on people who want to use wired headphones.

That wasn't my point but you should understand it as this:

Having a headphone jack doesn't affect you negatively either. Which is hilarious how we see all these Apple fanboys spewing lies and garbage as if the headphone jack was some kind of incredible hinderance to the smartphone.

Lyn2012

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2007
Unless an eSIM works with all carriers then in my opinion it’s completely useless. In the UK you can only use EE, so no choice at all, and in Spain, none of the main carriers (Movistar, Vodafone, Orange) appear to be supported. Why won’t Apple give us the ability to use 2 SIMs of our own choice, i.e. 2 physical SIM slots. I don’t want to leave iOS but Apple seem to be pushing people away. It is so much simpler and faster to change a physical SIM card than mess about going through Apple, as well as the many available options versus the severely limited choice of carriers with eSIM.

Last edited:

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
Unless an eSIM works with all carriers then in my opinion it’s completely useless. In the UK you can only use EE, so no choice at all, and in Spain, none of the main carriers (Movistar, Vodafone, Orange) appear to be supported. Why won’t Apple give us the ability to use 2 SIMs of our own choice, i.e. 2 physical SIM slots. I don’t want to leave iOS but Apple seem to be pushing people away.

In Finland eSIM is currently not available at all, and to my understanding this has something to with regulatory issues. So if dual-SIM is implemented with an eSIM, it’s practically a single-SIM device here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.