Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Adelphos33

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 13, 2012
This will be pretty fascinating - what would be a better buy, a $700 LCD iPhone (Face ID, edge to edge screen) versus $999 iPhone X (Face ID, OLED, edge to edge, dual camera)? Does the X do enough to be worth $300 more?

Knowimagination

macrumors 68020
Apr 6, 2010
I don't see how they could possibly do an edge to edge LCD display with current tech, so I'm not convinced this is even worth comparing.

Reactions: DNichter

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
This will be pretty fascinating - what would be a better buy, a $700 LCD iPhone (Face ID, edge to edge screen) versus $999 iPhone X (Face ID, OLED, edge to edge, dual camera)? Does the X do enough to be worth $300 more?

Even if this LCD model will exist, The Consumer will obviously will make the decision what they want in terms of a display, LCD or OLED. Not To mention, Apple will likely place most of their capabilities and features into the OLED model because it is the most expensive, which naturally they want the consumer to purchase.

Damon2

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2016
And what made you think its going to be $700 lol.

It will probably more expensive, not $999 expensive but yeah.

But I'll opt for the Amoled one, for the screen and size since the LCD one is rumoured to be 6"

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
It doesn’t bother me whether it’s LCD or OLED as long as the price isn’t stupid and the phone isn’t huge. Im not obsessed with screen quality like some. A couple of rumours have suggested the LCD model could be over 6” though. I wouldn’t even entertain buying that.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
The LCD vs. OLED Plus could be:

• Aluminum band vs. stainless steel
  • 3GB RAM vs. 4GB RAM
  • Single SIM vs. SIM + eSIM
  • Low PPI vs. High PPI

Kuo already said both the LCD and OLED phones next year will have 4x4 MIMO and Gigabit LTE.

andreyush

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2015
IMO for now LCD is the better option because Apple has pushed the LCD so much and made it so damn good ....But next year the OLED will be improved and it will be the way to go...But LCD has some years to stay :)

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
IMO for now LCD is the better option because Apple has pushed the LCD so much and made it so damn good ....But next year the OLED will be improved and it will be the way to go...But LCD has some years to stay :)

Apples LCD panels are some of the best in the industry, not just because of the panels they choose to use from the manufacturer, it's because of their own tuned calibration settings that regulates the lighting, color gamut and brightness.

Reactions: juanmaasecas

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I much prefer the screen on my 6S to the screen on my colleagues S8. If he’s showing me stuff across the table the screen looks anything from green to blue to pink. Head on I can’t tell the difference as to which one should be better, but I feel the LCD is much easier to view. I think my next phone will have LCD or that is the plan at this stage.

Reactions: MyMacintosh

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
If the only difference is LCD and OLED I’m going to have a hard time justifying a $300 premium (also assuming the prices are as written here) for the oled bump. It’s not exactly bleeding edge technology and even Apple has been using it for goignin three years lol.

That said I can’t imagine the price points are what they are if the only tangible difference is screen materials.

Reactions: MyMacintosh

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
I much prefer the screen on my 6S to the screen on my colleagues S8. If he’s showing me stuff across the table the screen looks anything from green to blue to pink. Head on I can’t tell the difference as to which one should be better, but I feel the LCD is much easier to view. I think my next phone will have LCD or that is the plan at this stage.
That's colour shifting. Even the iPhone X has it. Oled is better than lcd. The other guy must have put his S8 in saturated display mode which some don't like.

Paul1234

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2017
I will buy a plus size LCD iPhone next year as I can't get on with the X OLED. Apple need to offer something as an upgrade to the 8 series and I'm really hoping it's not just Xs and X plus with OLED unless the resolve the PWM on this display.
Returning my X tomorrow for 8plus. I love the phone but it’s killing my eyes:( I wish I hadn’t traded my 7 plus in. Hopefully they’ll resolve this Pam/ refresh rate for next year.

Precursor

Cancelled
Sep 29, 2015
Istanbul
The screen will be TFT-LCD in order to be able to fold it around the "notch" edges. TFT-LCD image quality should be much lower than the current LCD displays on the 8/8+

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
The screen will be TFT-LCD in order to be able to fold it around the "notch" edges. TFT-LCD image quality should be much lower than the current LCD displays on the 8/8+

The same securities analyst listed the current iphones as TFT-LCD as well. I am sure it will be the same LCD tech used today

itsmemuffins

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
I have 0 problems with my X screen. It’s a fantastic screen, and I could never go back to lcd. This is why I have a plasma tv and my next be will be oled.

Joe h

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2017
I would rather they just did a baby x, a big x, and a 8s+. But if all three are the same design, then I’ll go with the big oled, provided they get the colors right this time and don’t half ass rush the damn thing.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I’ll go with the big oled, provided they get the colors right this time and don’t half ass rush the damn thing.

It's not exactly abnormal to have a shift in colors with OLED. What I don't understand, is how someone can say they think this phone was rushed. I mean, how do you know that? What about the millions of iPhones they're going to sell across the world, are those rushed to? Just Because what you read on a tech forum, doesn't equate to everybody else's experience for someone to make a claim that this iPhone was "Rushed. "

itsmemuffins

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
The slight colour sift to blue on the oled. And I mean slight. Is far more desirable than the sift on an lcd. It loses contrast, colour, and the awful shift of blacks to grey.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.