2018 Mac Mini App Freeze Issue

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
My 2018 Mac Mini often freezes while launching some apps. Mainly the Messages app, Word, and Excel. Never a problem with Chrome. See the vid below where I caught it once.

Anyone else have this issue? Never was a problem with my 2012, 2014, or MacBooks.

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
Strange that you don't have the issue with Chrome etc. Try using a different USB port or plugging into one of the4 USB-C ports using an adapter. If it stops, then that may indicate a signal or port power problem.
I guess my first question though is, why do you think it's related to the mouse at all? I've only seen issues with BT devices per the forums (I have none connected). Just seems more like a read issue or something from the Mini.

BasicGreatGuy

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I guess my first question though is, why do you think it's related to the mouse at all? I've only seen issues with BT devices per the forums (I have none connected). Just seems more like a read issue or something from the Mini.
With some people experiencing BT / port issues at times, I thought it would be prudent to try some simple trouble shooting steps.

1)Did you set up as new?
2) Is this problem new?
3) What peripherals are connected?
4) Are you running beta?
5) If no, are all apps current?
6) Have you experienced any disconnects with attached drives?
7) Does the OS appear to be working normally outside this particular problem?

BradMacPro

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2005
My 2018 Mac Mini often freezes while launching some apps. Mainly the Messages app, Word, and Excel. Never a problem with Chrome. See the vid below where I caught it once.

Anyone else have this issue? Never was a problem with my 2012, 2014, or MacBooks.
It's probably the old RFi interference problem. Assuming you don't want to give up the wireless mouse, I suggest you use a USB extension cable and put the transmitter on that and position it as far away from the Mac as it will reach.