2018 Mac Mini coil whine

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by brentsg, Nov 7, 2018.

1. brentsg macrumors 68040

Just wanted to mention that I can hear a good bit of coil whine from my new Mini when it'd doing heavy disk access. Kinda bummed, but in the end it probably won't be 2 feet from my ears when it's all setup.

Thought I'd mention b/c some people might be hearing this for the first time. It sounds like electrical noises when doing intensive transfer.

2. rtsai92 macrumors newbie

Is it like this one: https://streamable.com/iwfo2
    I've been searching the entire day what this noise is on my new mini.
    Thanks!

3. brentsg thread starter macrumors 68040

I can't get my speakers / ambient noise right to hear from the recording. Will try tomorrow.. but I bet it is.

4. rtsai92 macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot for the help. Do you think a replacement is needed for this issue or it doesn’t really matter. I have a 2017 Mbp and iMac, none of those makes this weird noise.

5. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

The video in question sounds suspiciously like spinning hard disk accesses....

6. rtsai92 macrumors newbie

Yeah, but it’s all flash drive machine

7. brentsg thread starter macrumors 68040

8. michael.richard1982, Nov 7, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2018

michael.richard1982 macrumors member

Which model are you hearing this on?
    --- Post Merged, Nov 7, 2018 ---
    That's much more similar to typical HDD noises. Is that even from a 2018 mini? I can't tell for sure from the lighting.

9. rtsai92 macrumors newbie

yes, a new 2018 Mac mini which arrived this morning, and it sound exactly like old hdd in an old computer.

10. SpacemanSpiffed macrumors regular

SpacemanSpiffed

Any chance it is from the new, beefier cooling fan?

11. rtsai92 macrumors newbie

no, I have it opened to take a closer listen, and it's definitely coil whine. I suppose it's the same ssd coil whine issue mbp users have been talking about.

12. michael.richard1982 macrumors member

I would take to the Apple store and complain

If they can't do anything about it try getting a new one since Apple has a nqa refund policy. It may be an isolated case.

13. rtsai92 macrumors newbie

will definitely consider return it and get a new one, hopefully could solve this ssd noise problem. but doesn't seems very optimistic according to mbp users with ssd coil whine issue:(

14. brentsg thread starter macrumors 68040

It’s not a huge issue, but I’m considering returning mine for multiple reasons. This is just one more.

15. michael.richard1982 macrumors member

can you elaborate on the reasons?

16. Royksöpp macrumors 6502a

Royksöpp

I seriously hope it's not the Ram. It's piece of cake to replace!

17. munna78 macrumors newbie

Mine does the same thing - if there is no detrimental issue, i think i will just leave it as is

18. brentsg thread starter macrumors 68040

I have largely moved my workflow to PC, but I have a few apps that I still rely on. Lately I’ve been using Remote Desktop to hop in and do those things, but I want to be rid of the MP because I’ve suffered a back issue and can no longer move it when needed. In fact I aggravated it today being stupid when moving it to pull a drive.

Long story short, I’m going to wind up with a $2000 Mini with coil whine by the time it’s over. I think I just need to pull the bandaid off and get away from OSX. The Mini makes a ton of sense, just not at the price level I need. For that price I can have a killer Threadripper setup.

19. michael.richard1982 macrumors member

I did this myself about a year ago when it was clear Apple was no longer interested in selling desktop computers.

I don't mind the costs, but I expect a flawless product in return. I expect all the little things to be taken care of properly. Something like obvious coil whine slipping past their QA is a disappointment.

This really a last chance for Apple. I'm giving them another shot because I love OSX so much. But I can live with Windows.

If this mini doesn't delight me it's going back very quickly.

20. Scarpad macrumors 68000

Scarpad

I have to say I think your right I was thinking of replacing my iMac , but for the money they are asking I might look for something in a windows 10 machine it’s a shame but I do think iOS is where it’s at for Apple right now

21. SoCalReviews macrumors 6502a

It's probably specifically coming from the internal power supply. Capacitors can also sing and whine when they charge and discharge during usage.

22. brentsg thread starter macrumors 68040

It’s very possible, but it always seems to happen with disk access, which is strange. Either way, it’s too small to localize.

23. Neodym macrumors 68000

Neodym

As the "disk" is a very performant SSD here, there could be significant current streams involved during disk access, so it might well be the capacitors which have to work hard to stabilize power during intense, SSD-induced load.

24. Spectrum macrumors 65816

Spectrum

It is really odd that it sounds like HDD access. Does this suggest that the HDD access sound we are used to is not actually caused by the spinning disk itself but by something else?

25. StellarVixen macrumors 65816

StellarVixen

They said that they are using 100 percent recycled aluminum, so there is a ghost of late HDD that is still lurking inside that case.