2018 Mac Mini coil whine

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
Just wanted to mention that I can hear a good bit of coil whine from my new Mini when it'd doing heavy disk access. Kinda bummed, but in the end it probably won't be 2 feet from my ears when it's all setup.

Thought I'd mention b/c some people might be hearing this for the first time. It sounds like electrical noises when doing intensive transfer.

rtsai92

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2018
Just wanted to mention that I can hear a good bit of coil whine from my new Mini when it'd doing heavy disk access. Kinda bummed, but in the end it probably won't be 2 feet from my ears when it's all setup.

Thought I'd mention b/c some people might be hearing this for the first time. It sounds like electrical noises when doing intensive transfer.
Is it like this one: https://streamable.com/iwfo2
I've been searching the entire day what this noise is on my new mini.
Thanks!

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
I can't get my speakers / ambient noise right to hear from the recording. Will try tomorrow.. but I bet it is.

rtsai92

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2018
I can't get my speakers / ambient noise right to hear from the recording. Will try tomorrow.. but I bet it is.
Thanks a lot for the help. Do you think a replacement is needed for this issue or it doesn’t really matter. I have a 2017 Mbp and iMac, none of those makes this weird noise.

rtsai92

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2018
Which model are you hearing this on?
[doublepost=1541647501][/doublepost]

That's much more similar to typical HDD noises. Is that even from a 2018 mini? I can't tell for sure from the lighting.
yes, a new 2018 Mac mini which arrived this morning, and it sound exactly like old hdd in an old computer.

rtsai92

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2018
I would take to the Apple store and complain

If they can't do anything about it try getting a new one since Apple has a nqa refund policy. It may be an isolated case.
will definitely consider return it and get a new one, hopefully could solve this ssd noise problem. but doesn't seems very optimistic according to mbp users with ssd coil whine issue:(

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
It’s not a huge issue, but I’m considering returning mine for multiple reasons. This is just one more.

munna78

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2016
Mine does the same thing - if there is no detrimental issue, i think i will just leave it as is

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
can you elaborate on the reasons?
I have largely moved my workflow to PC, but I have a few apps that I still rely on. Lately I’ve been using Remote Desktop to hop in and do those things, but I want to be rid of the MP because I’ve suffered a back issue and can no longer move it when needed. In fact I aggravated it today being stupid when moving it to pull a drive.

Long story short, I’m going to wind up with a $2000 Mini with coil whine by the time it’s over. I think I just need to pull the bandaid off and get away from OSX. The Mini makes a ton of sense, just not at the price level I need. For that price I can have a killer Threadripper setup.

michael.richard1982

macrumors member
May 18, 2018
I have largely moved my workflow to PC
I did this myself about a year ago when it was clear Apple was no longer interested in selling desktop computers.

I don't mind the costs, but I expect a flawless product in return. I expect all the little things to be taken care of properly. Something like obvious coil whine slipping past their QA is a disappointment.

This really a last chance for Apple. I'm giving them another shot because I love OSX so much. But I can live with Windows.

If this mini doesn't delight me it's going back very quickly.

Scarpad

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
I have to say I think your right I was thinking of replacing my iMac , but for the money they are asking I might look for something in a windows 10 machine it’s a shame but I do think iOS is where it’s at for Apple right now

SoCalReviews

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2012
Just wanted to mention that I can hear a good bit of coil whine from my new Mini when it'd doing heavy disk access...
It's probably specifically coming from the internal power supply. Capacitors can also sing and whine when they charge and discharge during usage.

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
It's probably specifically coming from the internal power supply. Capacitors can also sing and whine when they charge and discharge during usage.
It’s very possible, but it always seems to happen with disk access, which is strange. Either way, it’s too small to localize.

Neodym

macrumors 68020
Jul 5, 2002
It’s very possible, but it always seems to happen with disk access, which is strange.
As the "disk" is a very performant SSD here, there could be significant current streams involved during disk access, so it might well be the capacitors which have to work hard to stabilize power during intense, SSD-induced load.

Spectrum

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2005
Never quite sure
It is really odd that it sounds like HDD access. Does this suggest that the HDD access sound we are used to is not actually caused by the spinning disk itself but by something else?

Reactions: ConvertedToMac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.