2018 Mac mini display connection help (LG 34UM69G)

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by maximumsportz, Aug 6, 2019.

1. maximumsportz macrumors regular

Hello,

I'm deciding to pick up a 2018 Mac mini to use with my LG 34UM69G display. I'm just a little confused what would be the best way to connect it to the mini? The monitor comes with: HDMI (ver1.4), Display Port (1.2), USB-C (DP Alt. Mode) inputs.

What would be the ideal connection type I would need to make the display work flawless? I was thinking thunderbolt 3 to thunderbolt 3(USB-C) or Thunderbolt 3(USB-C) to Display port.

Just heard some having issues with the display some going blank and what not. If someone can help me thats running a mini on their setup just perfect please do!!

Thanks!

2. Stephen.R macrumors 65816

Stephen.R

In terms of 'simplest' for cabling, I'd suggest a (good) USB-C cable (from one of the Mini's TB3/USB-C ports, to the USB-C port on the display) as the first option, with HDMI (from the Mini's HDMI port to the HDMI port on the display) as a second 'simple' option if you don't want to use up a TB3/USB-C port on the Mini.

I don't think there's any point (in your situation) getting a USB-C to DP cable/adapter, unless you e.g. planned to run two DP displays and got a TB3 to Dual DP adapter.

3. Sabelonada macrumors 6502

Sabelonada

The TB3 to dual DP adapter is the only way I could find to drive two independent monitors off of one port. Mac OS does not do MST well.

4. maximumsportz thread starter macrumors regular

Good info thanks. I was asking because I was reading some were having issues with their displays going off during wake and restarts. Hope thats not the case now.

5. Stephen.R macrumors 65816

Stephen.R

Same. I also discovered the Dell P2415Q only does MST at 30Hz anyway, so it was a moot point whether macOS supports it anyway.

6. Sabelonada macrumors 6502

Sabelonada

I hadn't considered the refresh rate aspect. I am less than thrilled by the incapacity to do it in Mac OS however.

7. weaztek macrumors member

weaztek

I use the LG included HDMI cable on my monitor. The mini has an HDMI port so it frees up a USB-C slot. I'm running my LG 32UD59-B at my preferred resolution of 3008x1692 at 60 Hz. with almost no problems at this point. Using the LG's on screen controls I turned off the Smart Energy Saving mode because the Mac already puts the display to sleep with the Energy Saver Control Panel options. I'm also running OS 10.14.6 which I think fixed a wake from sleep bug with the graphics card.

8. maximumsportz thread starter macrumors regular

Great info. Does quality change if you use HDMI or USB-C for input? Any pros and cons for each?

9. weaztek macrumors member

weaztek

Honestly, I never tried the other cable. It's probably in the box downstairs. With the HDMI cable my Mac has been working consistently. Very occasionally, it takes like 10 or 20 seconds to wake up. Not sure what the hangup is, but I can live with it.

10. maximumsportz thread starter macrumors regular

Sounds good. Thank you.