Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dimaspivak

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2018
Someone asked if the Mac Mini would be a good machine for a graphic designer and I pointed out a pretty common scenario (multiple external monitors) where it is not. The rest of this commentary is not particularly useful to the original poster.

rumz

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2006
Utah
Sure, but at every company I've worked at, graphic designers have always had at least 2 displays. The idea that Photoshop becomes unusable for a $3k computer in such a scenario without external hardware is worth noting for someone who would otherwise assume it to be up for the task.
I have 2 displays on my 2012 rMBP: 27" Thunderbolt & the 15.4" display on the machine itself. I think I had a max of 2 displays when I was on a Mac Pro tower. Would I like 3? Sure. But do I need 3 4k displays? Nah. There are a few dozen graphic designers here and I don't believe anyone is using more than 2 displays.

That said, for myself, I do plan on adding an eGPU to my (yet to be purchased) Mac Mini. I do wish Apple would make a mid-range machine that allowed for an internal desktop-class GPU-- there's really no reason the Mac Mini needs to be so small other than for those server farm guys that have adopted the Mini for their platform. But, this is as close as I'm likely to get, no doubt the Mac Pro starts in the $4k range with how Apple operates these days.

Reactions: satchmo

opeter

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2007
Slovenia
Will a 2018 i3 Mac mini be OK to run Adobe CS 5.5? I've been using Adobe CS 5.5 on a 2009 Mac Mini.
Yes. But don't install anything newer on that machine than macOS Mojave 10.14.x if you want to use CS 5.5 software suite.

Also, you can upgrade the RAM to 16 GB (or more), if you want.

Reactions: crowe-t

crowe-t

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2014
Satellite Of Love
Yes. But don't install anything newer on that machine than macOS Mojave 10.14.x if you want to use CS 5.5 software suite.

Also, you can upgrade the RAM to 16 GB (or more), if you want.
The i3 processor in the 2018 Mini will be enough for Photoshop and Illustrator?

opeter

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2007
Slovenia
The i3 processor in the 2018 Mini will be enough for Photoshop and Illustrator?
Yes. It is a 4 core CPU, that has an Intel UHD 630 integrated graphic chip. Not a world champion, but for standard* graphic design work it should be sufficient.

* magazine layout, photo editing, vector illustrations and layered graphics editing (it depends, how many elements there are), drawing, 2D animation, etc.

It all depends on what resolution you work and how complicated your stuff is/will be.

Reactions: crowe-t
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.