2018 Mac Mini Hang/Random Shutdown in FCPX

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by iApplereviews, Jul 29, 2019.

1. iApplereviews macrumors 6502a

iApplereviews

I have a 2018 Mac Mini with an i5 and 16GB of RAM. I have been using it for light 4k video editing in FCXP and its been working great. I haven't had any lagging or issues rendering 4k. But today out of know where the computer started lagging extremely bad after a video export. Like it took maybe 10-15 seconds or more to get any window to open whether it be a program or just something on the task bar. I force quit FCXP and it didn't help it was taking so long to get menus open that I just did a hard shut down holding the power button and turned it back on. It was fine after that and I did my normal web browsing and stuff without issue. A few hours later I exported another video and shortly after it finished before I touched anything the computer just turned off power light and all. A few seconds later it booted itself back up and I got the error "your computer shutdown unexpectedly" screen to report the issue. So thinking it was something in FCXP or a hardware issue I deleted what I just exported to do it again and see what. happened. I monitored the temps (never got above 80c) which is normal. This time it finished and nothing happed after.

Can anyone think of what this could be? When it shutdown there was a click like it lost power (like when you hold the power button to force a shutdown). Maybe a PSU issue? RAM issue?

2. hagjohn macrumors 6502

hagjohn

If you touch your Mini, is it hot at the time it shuts down?

3. iApplereviews thread starter macrumors 6502a

iApplereviews

Well yes it's hot it was exporting a 4k video than tends to warm things up. It wasn't abnormally hot though. The processor never went above 80C (max temp for the i5 is 100C before it throttles).

4. hagjohn macrumors 6502

hagjohn

Heat could be in an another area. Try throwing a fan on it and if it helps.

5. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

How much free space is left on the internal drive?