Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

b83

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2018
Long time lurker, first time posting here. Reason being my 2012 Mini was flawless! the 2018, well..

I have an Eizo CG246 monitor. Top spec for working on photos. The 2012 Mini had mini display port, where as the new one only has HDMI or USB C. Big issue. HDMI doesn't support the Eizo's 1900x1200, and so it wouldn't display the full height of the monitor . On top of that, it would reset the colour space every time the screen went into savings mode..

So i went and bought a mini diplay - USB C adapter, which solved that issue instantly, but has caused two major issues. My original bluetooth apple keyboard constantly loses connection, just like the issues reported here already. Fresh batteries doesn't make a difference. It wasn't happening before i connected my monitor via USB C..

The second issue, when i turn on my external RAID drive [usbc via USB C adapter], it interferes with my connection to my WIFI.

It's extremely frustrating, seeing as its a new machine and we had to way soo long for a decent update.

HenryAZ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2010
South Congress AZ
Long time lurker, first time posting here. Reason being my 2012 Mini was flawless! the 2018, well..

I have an Eizo CG246 monitor. Top spec for working on photos. The 2012 Mini had mini display port, where as the new one only has HDMI or USB C. Big issue. HDMI doesn't support the Eizo's 1900x1200, and so it wouldn't display the full height of the monitor . On top of that, it would reset the colour space every time the screen went into savings mode..

So i went and bought a mini diplay - USB C adapter, which solved that issue instantly, but has caused two major issues. My original bluetooth apple keyboard constantly loses connection, just like the issues reported here already. Fresh batteries doesn't make a difference. It wasn't happening before i connected my monitor via USB C..

The second issue, when i turn on my external RAID drive [usbc via USB C adapter], it interferes with my connection to my WIFI.

It's extremely frustrating, seeing as its a new machine and we had to way soo long for a decent update.
My first thought would be the cable at fault. Their quality varies greatly. Doesn't your Eizo have regular (full sized) Displayport ports? Get the Moshi USB-C -> Displayport cable. It is VESA certified to run at 5k (the first cable to be so certified). It is available from Apple @ $49. I am using this same cable with my Eizo monitor and a 2018 Mini, and have no Bluetooth issues.

Reactions: FreakinEurekan

b83

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2018
Thanks Henry, yes it has the regular Display port, but my cord terminates to mini display for my old 2012 Mac. I was trying to save cables/money and I wanted to avoid spending another $50 for another adapter etc. But thanks for your help, i'll try that adapter.
[doublepost=1545078034][/doublepost]Also, they're $89 here in Australia..

strawbale

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2011
French Pyrenees
Why would HDMI not support 1920x1200? (my 2560x1440 monitor is on HDMI, with a MM2018)

Edit: I see - https://www.eizoglobal.com/support/db/faq/170
So it's not that hdmi doesn't support 1920x1200, but the CG246 doesn't support 1920x1200 over hdmi
[doublepost=1545079872][/doublepost]this one is AU$35 and guaranteed for 4k @ 60hz:
https://www.mwave.com.au/product/al...playport-cable-with-4k-support-retail-ac10137

or this one: https://www.amazon.com.au/product-r...fferlistingpage_text?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Last edited:

b83

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2018
Why would HDMI not support 1920x1200? (my 2560x1440 monitor is on HDMI, with a MM2018)

Edit: I see - https://www.eizoglobal.com/support/db/faq/170
So it's not that hdmi doesn't support 1920x1200, but the CG246 doesn't support 1920x1200 over hdmi
[doublepost=1545079872][/doublepost]this one is AU$35 and guaranteed for 4k @ 60hz:
https://www.mwave.com.au/product/al...playport-cable-with-4k-support-retail-ac10137

or this one: https://www.amazon.com.au/product-r...fferlistingpage_text?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Thanks.

I think the issues have to do with interference from poorly insulated USB 3/C cables, messing with both wifi and bluetooth signals.

This is my main computer i work off and i think it's poor that such issues should arise when i simply swapped my old min for the new.

The issue with HDMI isn't just resolution support, but the resetting of colour profiles when the screen goes into sleep mode. Which isn't an issue via display port.

Anyway, i really appreciate the feedback.

Reactions: Dezlboy

strawbale

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2011
French Pyrenees
Thanks.

I think the issues have to do with interference from poorly insulated USB 3/C cables, messing with both wifi and bluetooth signals.

This is my main computer i work off and i think it's poor that such issues should arise when i simply swapped my old min for the new.

The issue with HDMI isn't just resolution support, but the resetting of colour profiles when the screen goes into sleep mode. Which isn't an issue via display port.

Anyway, i really appreciate the feedback.

Agreed, and all the best with finding a solution.

PS: because of all this I tend to stick to wired connections (ethernet, keyboard) as much as possible (and run my bluetooth mouse from the wired keyboard, not from the Mac mini)

b83

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2018
I've been thinking the same. Unfortunately, Ethernet isn't a possibility

Easttime

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2015
Thanks. I think the issues have to do with interference from poorly insulated USB 3/C cables, messing with both wifi and bluetooth signals. This is my main computer i work off and i think it's poor that such issues should arise when i simply swapped my old min for the new. The issue with HDMI isn't just resolution support, but the resetting of colour profiles when the screen goes into sleep mode. Which isn't an issue via display port. Anyway, i really appreciate the feedback.
My 2018 mini is my main workstation too. It had become unusable on Mojave 14.2. When 14.3 came out, I did the update by reinstalling Mojave through Recovery mode. Now it’s working again, which suggests that software has something to do with it, but I worry that my 2018 mini has a hardware Achilles heel. Time will tell whether I have to try for a return, but my work is being disrupted by this.

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
Agreed, and all the best with finding a solution.

PS: because of all this I tend to stick to wired connections (ethernet, keyboard) as much as possible (and run my bluetooth mouse from the wired keyboard, not from the Mac mini)

how do you run your bluetooth mouse from the wired keyboard?

In any case, i use my magic keyboard wired on the usb-a, i have all 4 usb-c ports full (screen, disk, audio interface, another disk via usbc usba adapter) and no issues with blue tooth :confused:

i had issues if i ran ssds from the usb a ports

strawbale

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2011
French Pyrenees
how do you run your bluetooth mouse from the wired keyboard?

In any case, i use my magic keyboard wired on the usb-a, i have all 4 usb-c ports full (screen, disk, audio interface, another disk via usbc usba adapter) and no issues with blue tooth :confused:

i had issues if i ran ssds from the usb a ports

My wired keyboard* has two USB1 and one USB2 ports - I run the mouse off USB1 and, occasionally other stuff (USB flash, SD card reader) off USB2.
*) http://matias.ca/usb2keyboard/

Reactions: Ploki
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.