2018 Mac Mini RAM upgrade question/option

Cat-toy

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 15, 2010
New York City
I have a set of GSkill DDR4 2400 2x 8gb sticks sitting around in a Dell laptop that really does not need it.

This new mac Mini comes with DDR4 2666.

1) it should work? (my DDR4 2400 sticks)
2) it seems DDR4 2666 is not really a speed/speck that after-marketers are embracing hence not price saving too much from Apple BTO price.
3) would the lower speed RAM 2400 (a)effect the speed of the SSD in the new Mac Mini?
4) is T2 going to kill me
My 2012 mini is an i5 with 16gb DDR3L

She is getting a little sluggish in day to day but good for a few more years as a basic machine/pass-down with SSD and second HDD.

Looking to get into one of these new mini as I was A MBP user (still am 2009 MBP 256gb SSd + 1tb HDD -SD . Have replaced the logic board twice myself running Mojave, thanks dosdude1!)

I like keeping my hard compute tech running 6+ years. It helps in passing down tech

nampramos

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2010
I'd be interested in knowing this as well plus where the heck are the 2 x 32GB sticks from 3rd parties? After a quick google search I couldn't find any...

yuhong

macrumors member
May 4, 2008
It will take a while before 32GB SO-DIMMs based on 16Gbit DDR4 are widely available.

Cat-toy

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 15, 2010
New York City
I guess what I'm saying is that with the slower RAM I know that I would be creating a bottleneck, but is *this the bottleneck that matters?

T2 handles stuff now, i5 vs i7/w HT. Fast SSD now

I dunno, just some thoughts.

EDIT:
I am and old man now so I am behind the times a bit but learning and hearing from the youngs is not below me

Last edited:

jdiamond

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2008
I'd be interested in knowing this as well plus where the heck are the 2 x 32GB sticks from 3rd parties? After a quick google search I couldn't find any...
They're still super pricey, because SODIMMs are for laptops, and there isn't a huge market for 64GB laptops yet. Sorry, I thought I found some links but they were not matching the specs.