2018 Mac Mini Restarts after Shut Down

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 23, 2016
Weird problem and I don't know if this is a hardware or Catalina issue and it's only happened twice. I do a shutdown, I walk away comeback later and the Power LED is on. I turn on my monitor and I'm at the Sign In screen. I sign in and get the error message that my Mac did not shutdown correctly. The first time I clicked on the Ignore button. The most recent time today I chose Report and gave a general description.

I'm on 10.15.3 and IIRC it happened the first time on 10.15.2

Any ideas?

astrorider

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2008
Weird problem and I don't know if this is a hardware or Catalina issue and it's only happened twice. I do a shutdown, I walk away comeback later and the Power LED is on. I turn on my monitor and I'm at the Sign In screen. I sign in and get the error message that my Mac did not shutdown correctly. The first time I clicked on the Ignore button. The most recent time today I chose Report and gave a general description.

I'm on 10.15.3 and IIRC it happened the first time on 10.15.2

Any ideas?
Seems to be a somewhat common problem on newer Macs with external hard drives and/or USB hubs. You might try disconnecting those if you're using them and see if it still happens, and if so you can start narrowing down which peripherals are causing the issue. Sometimes replacing certain cables or using a direct connection to your Mac instead of going through a hub can help.

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 23, 2016
I would try a reset of the PMU for something like this. Check here for directions for your model.
Thanks, I will look into that !

Seems to be a somewhat common problem on newer Macs with external hard drives and/or USB hubs. You might try disconnecting those if you're using them and see if it still happens, and if so you can start narrowing down which peripherals are causing the issue. Sometimes replacing certain cables or using a direct connection to your Mac instead of going through a hub can help.
No external drives or USB Hubs connected. It's a plain Jane vanilla setup with the only peripheral being a USB wireless mouse receiver plugged in. My other peripherals are a Magic Keyboard Gen 1 and a Magic Trackpad 2. I use the wireless mouse as backup when I lose Bluetooth connection to my Trackpad 2.