Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

inmnbob

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 6, 2014
Chicago and Twin Cities
I ran Geekbench this morning on my Mac Mini which is the i7 and 32 GB and compared it to the 2018 i9/32 GB Macbook Pro. The Mac Mini Geekbench compute score was 5485 for single-core and 22738 for multi-Core score. The Macbook pro was 5509 single-core and 22765 mult-core. I was surprised how close they were.

For video I measured the Radion Pro 560X in the Macbook Pro and it scored 62067. The Mac Mini scored 24098 with the UHD 630. (For what it is worth --when I ran the Macbook Pro and tested the UHD 630 in that the device the score was only 8099).

The Blackmagic disk speed on the 1TB Macbook Pro was 2572 write and 2767 read. The 1TB Mac Mini had a write speed of 2836 and a read of 2848 which was faster than the Macbook.

These results surprised me. I am going to install the Blackmagic eGPU ( I have it still in the box ) and testing the speed compared to the GPU in the Macbook and the Mac Mini
[doublepost=1541938167][/doublepost]I just installed the Blackmagic eGPU in the Mac Mini and got a Geekbench speed of 116437 compared to 24098 without the eGPU. What was interesting too was how fast it was compared to the Macbook Pro as well.

I do have a question--- There is little documentation on this setup. Some have it configured that the computer connects to both the eGPU as well as the monitor. Others show it going from the computer to the Blackmagic and then to the monitor. I tried that too but was unable to get a video signal to the monitor. Once I get this setup correctly i imagine the speed gains will be even better.

Any thoughts on the setup?

ElectronGuru

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2013
Oregon, USA
I have no egpu experience but have read that if the data is going out then in then out again (mini > egpu > mini > monitor) that its doubling the load on the bus, reducing overall bus capacity. If so, best to go mini > egpu > monitor so it only passes through once. Assuming it actually works.

DVD9

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2010
I have no egpu experience but have read that if the data is going out then in then out again (mini > egpu > mini > monitor) that its doubling the load on the bus, reducing overall bus capacity. If so, best to go mini > egpu > monitor so it only passes through once. Assuming it actually works.

That's the only setup that could work. If the OP can't get a signal that way then something is broken.

Reactions: ElectronGuru

InquiringMac

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2013
I just installed the Blackmagic eGPU in the Mac Mini and got a Geekbench speed of 116437 compared to 24098 without the eGPU. What was interesting too was how fast it was compared to the Macbook Pro as well.
116437 vs. 62067: very impressive!
@inmnbob , what monitor are you driving with eGPU, please? Could you please, if at all possible, comment on the quality of Dolby Vision HDR movies picture/sound with/without eGPU?

inmnbob

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 6, 2014
Chicago and Twin Cities
That's the only setup that could work. If the OP can't get a signal that way then something is broken.

The Mac mini and Blackmagic eGPU won’t work in the mini > eGBU > monitor because the monitor doesn’t get a signal.

I tried mini to eGPU and mini to monitor as well as mini to monitor and monitor to eGPU they both work but I wonder how well and what the loss in power is.

inmnbob

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 6, 2014
Chicago and Twin Cities
I am using the new 4K Samsung 34” curved Display with two thunderbolt ports . With that set up I am going via thunderbolt from Mac to monitor and via thunderbolt from the monitor to eGPU. Wonder if this is efficient compared to the mini to eGPU to monitor method which is obviously preferred

Last edited:

F-Train

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2015
NYC & Newfoundland
The Blackmagic disk speed on the 1TB Macbook Pro was 2572 write and 2767 read. The 1TB Mac Mini had a write speed of 2836 and a read of 2848 which was faster than the Macbook.

That's interesting. When I run Blackmagic on the i5/256GB/8GB, it gets pretty much the same read speed, but a much lower write speed:

blackmagic-write.png

IngerMan

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2011
Michigan
Are you using the $699 or $1199 Black Magic from Apple?
[doublepost=1541986921][/doublepost]
That's interesting. When I run Blackmagic on the i5/256GB/8GB, it gets pretty much the same read speed, but a much lower write speed:

View attachment 803413

That’s because the lower SSD 256GB size. They increase in speed with size.

Last edited:

jdmagoo1

macrumors regular
May 5, 2010
I ran Geekbench this morning on my Mac Mini which is the i7 and 32 GB and compared it to the 2018 i9/32 GB Macbook Pro. The Mac Mini Geekbench compute score was 5485 for single-core and 22738 for multi-Core score. The Macbook pro was 5509 single-core and 22765 mult-core. I was surprised how close they were.

For video I measured the Radion Pro 560X in the Macbook Pro and it scored 62067. The Mac Mini scored 24098 with the UHD 630. (For what it is worth --when I ran the Macbook Pro and tested the UHD 630 in that the device the score was only 8099).

These results surprised me. I am going to install the Blackmagic eGPU ( I have it still in the box ) and testing the speed compared to the GPU in the Macbook and the Mac Mini
[doublepost=1541938167][/doublepost]I just installed the Blackmagic eGPU in the Mac Mini and got a Geekbench speed of 116437 compared to 24098 without the eGPU. What was interesting too was how fast it was compared to the Macbook Pro as well.

I do have a question--- There is little documentation on this setup. Some have it configured that the computer connects to both the eGPU as well as the monitor. Others show it going from the computer to the Blackmagic and then to the monitor. I tried that too but was unable to get a video signal to the monitor. Once I get this setup correctly i imagine the speed gains will be even better.

Any thoughts on the setup?
Can you please state which black magic eGPU your using? Very difficult to compare results when you haven’t listed what your using

F-Train

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2015
NYC & Newfoundland
Can you please state which black magic eGPU your using? Very difficult to compare results when you haven’t listed what your using

He has said what he is using. He just doesn't repeat it ad nauseam in every post. Maybe have a look at his earlier posts? If you do a member-specific search, you'll find quite a number of posts about his setup.

Reactions: inmnbob

jdmagoo1

macrumors regular
May 5, 2010
He has said what he is using. He just doesn't repeat it ad nauseam in every post. Maybe have a look at his earlier posts? If you do a member-specific search, you'll find quite a number of posts about his setup.
Sorry but I just had a quick look through this thread again and I can’t see it listed anywhere

IngerMan

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2011
Michigan
Aren't there two versions? Pro and not pro?

Indeed there are. In one of his post on the forum he stated he purchased the "Lower Model" unless I am mistaken. The good news is it seemed impressive results that he has posted using the Radeon Pro 580. It would be interesting to see someone post Vega 56 results.

Screen Shot 2018-11-12 at 10.07.42 AM.png

David G.

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2007
Alaska
You expect us to go on a wild goose chase? “Quite a number” of his posts in this thread do not differentiate between the two offerings, therefore the question.

paxos

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2011
I don't know, the CPU numbers in the first post (which is super hard to read btw) seems a bit odd; too close to each other.

inmnbob

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 6, 2014
Chicago and Twin Cities
What are your questions exactly since I started this thread and did the testing? With regards to the eGPU the pro version isn't available yet-- didn't realize I needed to go into that level of detail considering one device isn't even available

Reactions: F-Train
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.