2018 Macbook Air or refurb 2018 TB MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by elhungarian, Oct 30, 2018.

1. elhungarian macrumors 6502

elhungarian

Hi all,

i guess im in the boat of still undecided, i was secretly hoping this new Air would be a noBrainer, but it of course isn't so easy.

Short history, i purchased a refurb 2017 nTB MBP early this year, and returned it as i couldn't live with the risk of the keyboard going out. I have a powerful Desktop for my 4K video (fcpx) & photo editing (PS). I have been wanting to get a laptop for use around the house and when away from home.

real usage of the laptop will be:
    around 80% chrome & basic app usage to work on a blog, researching, browsing.
    5-10% editing when i am not at home on the heavy duty rig.
    10% various other apps.

My question:
    Should i sway towards a 2018 Macbook Air 8gb 256SSD or get a refurb 2018 TB Macbook Pro for $100 more?

tough decision. Any thoughts and input is welcome.

2. lambertjohn macrumors 6502a

Not a tough decision at all. Get the 2018 refurb. For $100 more, you get a better screen that includes True Tone, a quad-core CPU (fast!), more ports, Touch Bar, and more memory (16gb version?). I'm probably missing something, but you get my point. The 2018 MBP refurbs are a pretty good deal right now, IMO.

3. elhungarian thread starter macrumors 6502

elhungarian

hey thanks. for €125 more than the air i found it brand new from an authorized reseller in store. figured for the extra dough the screen, and 2 additional cores, 2 more thunderbolt 3 ports and gimmicky touchbar is worth it.

4. jackiejoo macrumors newbie

I agree, I was kind of in the same boat - tried the Pro, Air and Macbook and honestly preferred the MB but the price tag to get the specs I wanted just didn't make sense. As I patiently waited for yesterday, I found a steal through my employee purchase program and got a TB MBP 3.1/256 for less than the price of the old Air. Not crazy about the Touch Bar, but the speed and extra ports make a huge difference. I realize there is a reason they only put the ports on the left side on the MB and Air, but having on the right side is a huge bonus in my setup. Still wish an update to the MB happened tho.

5. elhungarian thread starter macrumors 6502

elhungarian

Whoa that’s a slick deal man! Congrats. I picked up my 2018 13” TB base today as well. For only €125 over the comparable air it was the choice for me.