2018 Macbook Pro 15" - Is 560x Worth it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Robdmb, Oct 15, 2018.

1. Robdmb macrumors regular

For a causual user (non-gamer) is the 560x worth the upgrade over the 555x? Particularly if you plan to keep the laptop for 5 years or so?

Otherwise plan on ordering the base model with 512GB SSD upgrade. Thanks.

2. LogicalApex macrumors 6502

I'm new to Mac (well not entirely new I took an almost 20 year break), but this is the best way I can describe the 555x and 560x...

These are "business class GPUs" so they are designed to give you extra performance is applications that can leverage the GPU for performance boosts. For example, Photoshop or Apple Photos can leverage the GPU for a bit more specialized power. The iGPU has been getting better and better as this though so how wide the performance gain is would have to be reviewed in either benchmarks or your usage cases where possible.

If you have workloads that make great use of GPU acceleration like video and photo editing then you may see a value in jumping up. Otherwise, you're likely fine with the iGPU and the battery life savings it brings.

3. fokmik macrumors 68040

I dont think it is worth, both have 4gb vRAM now...and when i test my workflow the 2.6 ghz i7+560X was always 10 celsius above the current 2.2 ghzi7+555X
    This should matter if you keep your mac for 2-3 years

4. Hanson Eigilson macrumors regular

Exactly this!
    Neither of them are an actual solution if you have GPU performance issues, but one run a fair deal hotter than the other, i'd pay extra to go with the cool one, or alternatively if it was still possible i'd limit the clock on both.

5. jerryk macrumors 601

I went for the prebuilt model with the 512 and 560 for a couple of reasons. The slightly higher clock CPU clock speed and most importantly the ability to get a replacement machine at any Apple store. If my machine dies on travel it can cost me hundreds per hour of billing. I want to be able to be able to pickup a replacement machine with the same configuration at any Apple Store.

It these are not issues for you the 555 machine is a good configuration for $200 less.