Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davidnayzar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2011
SF,California
I bought a 2018 MBP Touch, 2.6/32/512/560X4GB in September 2018. After I bought the machine, I just get to use once and flew out to Asia for 3 weeks and I left the device since I have a 2014 MBP for travel.
3 weeks after the trip so that device is a month old so far with 3 cycles at brand new (Not zero). Got home did not care about the machine and after 10 days going to set up the machine but it did not boot so I assumed battery drained and plugged in to charge it overnight.
I left the machine since we were quite running around and total 7 weeks that I get to check the machine again. The machine was hot when charger plugged in so unplugged to cool down and tried to boot again but the fan goes high speed without booting.
Fiddling around with the crappy $3600 machine that I cannot return any more. Suddenly it booted up and works well like normal so set up partially to use just one day before leaving out to Europe again. When I came back from Europe trip, the machine was not booting up again so as usual called the support to troubleshoot and the guy said I need to update to Mojave that I don't want to (it doesn't boot anymore after shutdown).
Went to apple store to get some genies lecture me about the little things they know yet the machine booted and acted normal again. The battery was at 8 charge cycle without even using it. Came back home at 4pm and left the machine running with closed lids. The battery drained at 9 pm to zero charge. Contacted support again and the guy did not do anything but set up appointment to go to store.
The same crap at store that they kept it overnight and called me on Sunday that my machine is ready. I went to pick up on Monday to make sure they tested very well but unfortunately it did not boot up.
I was so frustrated that I wanted to stomp on the machine if it was $500 but it is $3600.Talked to the genie guys and manager but they will not replace yet only option is to repair.
The only thing they keep saying is "Return period is 14 days and it is over". Called the support again and the guy was quite unprofessional that he told me "You can get your computer unrepair or we will try to repair it if you agree. Other than that I cannot do anything".
The guy was just saying that "You want to keep the $3600 paperweight or you can get a brand new machine but repaired and get piss every time you use it".
It was a big mistake to buy the stupid thing since we already know Apple is making the worse products after 2015 when their designs ran out.
I feel like I just paid $3600 for headache and insult.
So, think many times before paying for your own headache and insult.

Never mind

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2018
Dunedin, Florida
Next time......

1. Purchased new, very expensive notebook

2. Immediately play with device as much as possible to find any issues that might develop within the 14 day return period. Or don’t purchase system when you knew you were going on a long trip without it. A number of issues reported already with the T2 Chip and keyboard, so I would never purchase and then leave without using that first.

3. AppleCare plus ? With issues of this system reported, I would always have applecare plus

4. Enough said

Last edited:
Reactions: HenryDJP and rdubmu

unglued

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2016
When I came back from Europe trip, the machine was not booting up again so as usual called the support to troubleshoot and the guy said I need to update to Mojave that I don't want to (it doesn't boot anymore after shutdown).
Try running diagnostics (hold the D key down on power up) a few times (cold and warm) and see if it detects any problems, make sure nothing is connected except the power adapter. I would definitely install Mojave after wiping the SSD clean and running First Aid to check for errors first.

Reactions: HenryDJP

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The only thing they keep saying is "Return period is 14 days and it is over". Called the support again and the guy was quite unprofessional that he told me "You can get your computer unrepair or we will try to repair it if you agree. Other than that I cannot do anything".
How were they unprofessional? Where they just being unwilling to accept exchange the machine? They are willing to repair the machine, so what is the problem exactly?

It was a big mistake to buy the stupid thing
I think your mistake was choosing to not check the machine to ensure it was defect free within 14 days of the purchase. You throw out that you paid 3,600 in the post quite a bit, but as a buyer you have a measure of responsibility. You need to validate the purchase is what you expected it to be. You're not looking for Apple to assume responsibility when the 14 days is plainly stated.

Plett

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2016
Surely important people jet setting all over the world wouldn't be concerned about a computer. Just throw it away and get something else, clearly these machines are not up to your standards.

MacDonaldTrump

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Brisbane Australia
I would have just taken my new PORTABLE machine with me, tested on the road as the 14 day period that everyone is aware of is quite an important timeframe for testing, or waited till my travel was done, or purchased abroad. Either way Apple care is a must.

Sorry to hear it's not working out.
I'll go to Europe next time if that helps?
Helps me.. I love cheese

ashcairo

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2013
London, UK
Hey mate, sounds like your T2 chip is acting up, what it does is check on boot to verify that you can a valid version of macOS installed - that check sometimes causes the fans to ramp up like crazy if it gets into a bad cycle.

Best thing to do is just get the machine repaired by them and if you need a machine in the meantime you can buy a replacement and return it once your repair is complete.

If you want to try disabling the T2 security check, I have mine disabled and it really sorts out a lot of random crashes, just boot into Recovery mode and go to Security settings. If you get stuck, I did a video about it you can follow too called How to Disable T2 Security on YT.

Last edited:

8SlaiN8

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2018
a
I bought a 2018 MBP Touch, 2.6/32/512/560X4GB in September 2018. After I bought the machine, I just get to use once and flew out to Asia for 3 weeks and I left the device since I have a 2014 MBP for travel.
3 weeks after the trip so that device is a month old so far with 3 cycles at brand new (Not zero). Got home did not care about the machine and after 10 days going to set up the machine but it did not boot so I assumed battery drained and plugged in to charge it overnight.
I left the machine since we were quite running around and total 7 weeks that I get to check the machine again. The machine was hot when charger plugged in so unplugged to cool down and tried to boot again but the fan goes high speed without booting.
Fiddling around with the crappy $3600 machine that I cannot return any more. Suddenly it booted up and works well like normal so set up partially to use just one day before leaving out to Europe again. When I came back from Europe trip, the machine was not booting up again so as usual called the support to troubleshoot and the guy said I need to update to Mojave that I don't want to (it doesn't boot anymore after shutdown).
Went to apple store to get some genies lecture me about the little things they know yet the machine booted and acted normal again. The battery was at 8 charge cycle without even using it. Came back home at 4pm and left the machine running with closed lids. The battery drained at 9 pm to zero charge. Contacted support again and the guy did not do anything but set up appointment to go to store.
The same crap at store that they kept it overnight and called me on Sunday that my machine is ready. I went to pick up on Monday to make sure they tested very well but unfortunately it did not boot up.
I was so frustrated that I wanted to stomp on the machine if it was $500 but it is $3600.Talked to the genie guys and manager but they will not replace yet only option is to repair.
The guy was just saying that "You want to keep the $3600 paperweight or you can get a brand new machine but repaired and get piss every time you use it".
It was a big mistake to buy the stupid thing since we already know Apple is making the worse products after 2015 when their designs ran out.
I feel like I just paid $3600 for headache and insult.
So, think many times before paying for your own headache and insult.
after 3 repairs they'll give u a new machine

davidnayzar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2011
SF,California
Try running diagnostics (hold the D key down on power up) a few times (cold and warm) and see if it detects any problems, make sure nothing is connected except the power adapter. I would definitely install Mojave after wiping the SSD clean and running First Aid to check for errors first.
The usual apple's lame diagnostic steps were done and yet it won't change anything. The fresh installation was done once it booted up to make sure everything is working as it supposed to. It could not even connect to the internnet so got to use the USB drive to install the OS.
[doublepost=1546376338][/doublepost]
Next time......

1. Purchased new, very expensive notebook

2. Immediately play with device as much as possible to find any issues that might develop within the 14 day return period. Or don’t purchase system when you knew you were going on a long trip without it. A number of issues reported already with the T2 Chip and keyboard, so I would never purchase and then leave without using that first.

3. AppleCare plus ? With issues of this system reported, I would always have applecare plus

4. Enough said
Sometimes family emergency came up and cannot think much but to leave. I am 100% with you on that point but yet we want to rely on the name and what we purchase with suspicions.
[doublepost=1546376907][/doublepost]
How were they unprofessional? Where they just being unwilling to accept exchange the machine? They are willing to repair the machine, so what is the problem exactly?

I think your mistake was choosing to not check the machine to ensure it was defect free within 14 days of the purchase. You throw out that you paid 3,600 in the post quite a bit, but as a buyer you have a measure of responsibility. You need to validate the purchase is what you expected it to be. You're not looking for Apple to assume responsibility when the 14 days is plainly stated.
First day, turned on, set up the device and just lightly used for a few hours since I have a child with special need who might just stomp on the machine if it glitches or anything crosses his mind. After a few hours, got a phone call to pack and fly out with what was in hand.
The strange thing about the responsibility to talk is the resellers or retailers have to bear great responsibility for the items they sold to the consumers as I noticed. People blame on the sellers whom are not the product manufacturer but the manufacturers are just having the benefit of the "Big boys" chill. I am in retail business as well that when a customer complaint about the product they bought from us, we will check the product if there is any abusive behavior or not. If it was in the situation I had that was not functioning or what ever defect, the customer gets a new one while we take the loss.
[doublepost=1546377330][/doublepost]
Hey mate, sounds like your T2 chip is acting up, what it does is check on boot to verify that you can a valid version of macOS installed - that check sometimes causes the fans to ramp up like crazy if it gets into a bad cycle.

Best thing to do is just get the machine repaired by them and if you need a machine in the meantime you can buy a replacement and return it once your repair is complete.

If you want to try disabling the T2 security check, I have mine disabled and it really sorts out a lot of random crashes, just boot into Recovery mode and go to Security settings. If you get stuck, I did a video about it you can follow too called How to Disable T2 Security on YT.

Thank you mate. If the device just went weird after I could use at least a few times I would try the Kernel mod and the plist disable options. I will surely check the video and I will hit you up with anything that may be a new find.

Martius

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
Prague, CZ
Even though I agree with other people that you should test the device within the 14 days return period (because that's how it works now), I still wish there was a computer manufacturer that would do it for you during the manufacturing process. For the money we pay for this devices they could properly check every single device and still make huge profit. Hope you will get replacement soon!

davidnayzar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2011
SF,California
The device was at apple repair facility for 10 days which is ridiculous. Just received an email that the repair is completed and it is shipped back. Seem like apple is more about the money than the reputation or the service like the old days. This era is becoming the seller is always right and if you want to use our stuffs you need to put up the crap we do attitude.

Reactions: SDColorado

mreg376

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
The device was at apple repair facility for 10 days which is ridiculous. Just received an email that the repair is completed and it is shipped back. Seem like apple is more about the money than the reputation or the service like the old days. This era is becoming the seller is always right and if you want to use our stuffs you need to put up the crap we do attitude.

Look, no one is going to defend Apple's selling you a defective machine. However, any device sold in large quantities all over the world can end up being a defective copy. But it is inexcusable not to put a new machine through its paces during the no-questions-asked 14-day return period, which is EXACTLY why Apple has the return period - to make sure you are satisfied with your purchase. You can gripe about the machine, and even Apple's repair times, but complaining that they would not take the machine back for a refund past the return window that YOU ignored is ridiculous.

Reactions: HenryDJP

nylon

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2004
Is that written anywhere? I never saw any guarantee stating that, maybe that's related to your local consumer laws

I think it's an unofficial policy. I have experienced it with my 2012 15" MBP. My machine started randomly shutting down. Just before the 3 year AppleCare expired the screen was replaced, the motherboard was replaced 2 times. It failed to fix the shutdown issue. Apple replaced with brand new 2015 Machine. AppleCare rep informed me if after 3 major repairs the machine is not fixed they will replace with new product. Make sure to keep all your repair documentation.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
I think it's an unofficial policy. I have experienced it with my 2012 15" MBP. My machine started randomly shutting down. Just before the 3 year AppleCare expired the screen was replaced, the motherboard was replaced 2 times. It failed to fix the shutdown issue. Apple replaced with brand new 2015 Machine. AppleCare rep informed me if after 3 major repairs the machine is not fixed they will replace with new product. Make sure to keep all your repair documentation.

I believe it may fall upon the terms of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act where a manufacturer has the right to make a "reasonable" number of repair attempts. The definition of "reasonable" seems to vary state to state, but I believe it is generally between 2 - 4.

Apple Legal-Repair Terms and Conditions state: "IF, AFTER A REASONABLE NUMBER OF ATTEMPTS, THE DEFECT HAS NOT BEEN FIXED, THE BUYER MAY RETURN THIS PRODUCT FOR A REPLACEMENT OR A REFUND SUBJECT, IN EITHER CASE, TO DEDUCTION OF A REASONABLE CHARGE FOR USAGE." 3 attempts may be the number that Apple has agreed upon as "reasonable." The charge for usage may only apply in the case of a refund rather than a replacement.

nylon

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2004
I believe it may fall upon the terms of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act where a manufacturer has the right to make a "reasonable" number of repair attempts. The definition of "reasonable" seems to vary state to state, but I believe it is generally between 2 - 4.

Apple Legal-Repair Terms and Conditions state: "IF, AFTER A REASONABLE NUMBER OF ATTEMPTS, THE DEFECT HAS NOT BEEN FIXED, THE BUYER MAY RETURN THIS PRODUCT FOR A REPLACEMENT OR A REFUND SUBJECT, IN EITHER CASE, TO DEDUCTION OF A REASONABLE CHARGE FOR USAGE." 3 attempts may be the number that Apple has agreed upon as "reasonable." The charge for usage may only apply in the case of a refund rather than a replacement.

Is that a US law? I'm Canadian. I think Apple generally abides by these principles worldwide unless subject to more stringent regulations.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Is that a US law? I'm Canadian. I think Apple generally abides by these principles worldwide unless subject to more stringent regulations.

It’s a US Law, but I am guessing Apple is bound to it where it applies being California based. At least their own policy that I quoted seems to align with the terms of Magnuson Moss Warranty Act which states among its requirements:

- Repair or Replace – The merchant must fix or replace the product without charge, within a reasonable time. If, after reasonable effort is made to repair the item, the product or a component part still has a defect, the consumer can either receive a refund or free replacement of the item.

It’s almost word for word what is in the Apple terms quoted.

davidnayzar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2011
SF,California
Look, no one is going to defend Apple's selling you a defective machine. However, any device sold in large quantities all over the world can end up being a defective copy. But it is inexcusable not to put a new machine through its paces during the no-questions-asked 14-day return period, which is EXACTLY why Apple has the return period - to make sure you are satisfied with your purchase. You can gripe about the machine, and even Apple's repair times, but complaining that they would not take the machine back for a refund past the return window that YOU ignored is ridiculous.
Ridiculous in your view. The return period is 14 days and when issue cannot resolve because the appointment is at least 8 days. I did not ask for refund but replacement. If you read the detail and pay attention, I did not ask for refund.

davidnayzar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2011
SF,California
After back and forth with apple, finally the senior advisor I spoke to said it is too much for a customer to deal with the issue and it should have been done since the beginning. So she did order the replacement device. After 4 months from purchase, I got the replacement device but already upset with it so going to get rid of it. I rather hang on to my late 2013 model that never have any issue to this day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.