Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has confirmed that its new 2018 MacBook Pro with Touch Bar models feature support for hands-free "Hey Siri."

macbook-pro-hey-siri-800x394.jpg

From its website, emphasis ours:
Featured on the 13- and 15-inch models with Touch Bar, the Apple T2 chip includes a Secure Enclave coprocessor that provides the foundation for secure boot and encrypted storage capabilities. It also consolidates many discrete controllers, including the system management controller, audio controller, and SSD controller, into one. And the Apple T2 chip brings a familiar voice to MacBook Pro -- Hey Siri is always ready to open apps, find documents, play music, or answer your questions.
This means 2018 MacBook Pro users can say "Hey Siri," instead of clicking on the Siri icon in the macOS menu bar or tapping on the Siri button on the Touch Bar, to activate Apple's virtual assistant on the desktop.

The functionality is enabled by the Apple T2 chip, first introduced in the iMac Pro and now included in the new MacBook Pros.

The T2 chip integrates several previously separate components, including the system management controller, image signal processor, audio controller, and SSD controller, for expanded capabilities on the new MacBook Pro.

For instance, the T2 chip's image signal processor works with the FaceTime HD camera to enable enhanced tone mapping, improved exposure control, and face detection-based auto exposure and auto white balance. On the MacBook Pro, the chip also authenticates and secures Touch ID and Apple Pay.

The T2 chip also features a Secure Enclave coprocessor for secure boot and encrypted storage capabilities.

It's unclear if the iMac Pro will eventually support "Hey Siri" too.

Article Link: 2018 MacBook Pro Models With Touch Bar Support 'Hey Siri'

Last edited:
Reactions: MrUNIMOG

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
As Someone who uses Siri in all my iOS products, this is a welcomed addition. I like the concept of using Siri integrated with the MacBook. Although, it will be interesting to see if Siri has any additional improvements, Especially with understanding various words and commands.

imola.zhp

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2010
Mud Island (Memphis), TN
This will be pointless in a house with a HomePod though, right? My MBP and HomePod sit about 10’ away from each other. I have this problem with my phone and watch too. I usually use the crown on the watch to start conversing with Siri if I don’t want to use HomePod. Or type my command into Siri on my phone.

falcn

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2011
As Someone who uses Siri in all my iOS products, this is a welcomed addition. I like the concept of using Siri integrated with the MacBook. Although, it will be interesting to see if Siri has any additional improvements, Especially with understanding various words and commands.
Can you give a few real world examples of Siri usage on a Mac?

gsapienza

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2009
THIS!!! I hate when I am in my car and my watch, iPhone and iPad all start responding. I then whisper hoping only one hears me.

Uh this is already a thing. Even with a house with an Apple Watch, iPhone, iPad and HomePod; only one ever responds. And it is pretty smart about it. If I am just speaking out loud, the HomePod will respond. If I have my wrist raised, the Apple Watch will respond

Tofupunch

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2014
For those that mentioned the "Hey Siri" phrase triggering various devices, this was absolutely my question. So basically when the phrase is uttered, potentially one's  watch, iPhone, iPad, Mac, and HomePod could all respond at the same time? My iPad mini 2 does not have Hey Siri and my iPhone 6 only has the capability when plugged in (though I have it off anyway) so only my AW3 responds. But I'm just curious what may be in store for me as I begin upgrading my iDevices. You would think they would program some sort of hierarchy of devices based on distance, context, whatever...

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
For those that mentioned the "Hey Siri" phrase triggering various devices, this was absolutely my question. So basically when the phrase is uttered, potentially one's  watch, iPhone, iPad, Mac, and HomePod could all respond at the same time? My iPad mini 2 does not have Hey Siri and my iPhone 6 only has the capability when plugged in (though I have it off anyway) so only my AW3 responds. But I'm just curious what may be in store for me as I begin upgrading my iDevices. You would think they would program some sort of hierarchy of devices based on distance, context, whatever...

I end up disabling it all on everything but my iPhone...

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Can you give a few real world examples of Siri usage on a Mac?

Perhaps you misread my post. I never indicated any examples using Siri with Mac, I stated I like the *concept* of Siri integrated into the MacBook and it’s a welcomed addition using Hands Free Siri as an option, Especially being I prefer hands-free with my iPhone commands, AirPod Controls, Apple Watch dictation while using Siri.

Reactions: MrUNIMOG

liberte1776

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2014
It’s absolutely ridiculous that Macs suck the hind tit getting key features like this YEARS after iOS devices!! This should be available to MBP back to at least 2015 too!

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
Uh this is already a thing. Even with a house with an Apple Watch, iPhone, iPad and HomePod; only one ever responds. And it is pretty smart about it. If I am just speaking out loud, the HomePod will respond. If I have my wrist raised, the Apple Watch will respond
HomePod response to me, not my Apple Watch S0. Maybe the S0 is too slow.

Anyway, what they really need is voice user recognition, so only I can activate my Siri. What we're going to get is people in an office activating Siri on their own Macs and their neighbours'!

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2008
That's nice but "Hey Siri" already works on my Watch, HomePod, iPhone and iPad. No issue getting her to hear me in every room of the house. I don't know too many people who only have a MacBook and don't have a compatible "Hey siri" device already.

Kobayagi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
It's too bad it doesn't have a UHS-II card slot like the iMac Pro. Oh wait, it doesn't have any card slot at all any more. Lame.

Haha, so true. Missing a regular usb port, somehow I'll someday be okay with that. But as someone who takes a lot of photos, I sure will mis the sd card slot. Oh and lets not forget about MagSafe, still can't believe they just ditched that. I'll be using my 'old' maxed out 2015 rMB Pro for as long as I can.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Haha, so true. Missing a regular usb port, somehow I'll someday be okay with that. But as someone who takes a lot of photos, I sure will mis the sd card slot. Oh and lets not forget about MagSafe, still can't believe they just ditched that. I'll be using my 'old' maxed out 2015 rMB Pro for as long as I can.
Yeah that's the same machine that I have at work. It's still good. Six cores and more RAM would be useful as Lightroom now takes better advantage of that with big performance updates in the past year, but my next personal machine is definitely going to be a desktop Mac of some sort. I'd imagine a sizable chunk of the MBP user base is photographers so removing that tiny slot seems pretty weird. The industry has pretty much settled around SD cards as the standard and the newest cards are pretty fast and huge. I've got 300MB/s cards for my Sony a7R III and so I use a UHS-II card adapter all the time and it's a pain compared to just popping it into the slot. If I'm not in a hurry I'll still use the slot because it's so dang convenient but UHS-II speed is very nice when it comes to downloading photos (in addition to clearing buffers during burst shooting 42MP RAW at 10fps).

I kind of wonder if Apple was getting concerned about how so many people were starting to buy those little adapters for micro-sd cards that turn them into a removable SSD and that cutting into their bottom line. It also wasn't a great user experience from my time trying it out. With the new SD card spec recently put out going up to 128TB at nearly 1GB/s, why buy a bigger SSD?

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
THIS!!! I hate when I am in my car and my watch, iPhone and iPad all start responding. I then whisper hoping only one hears me.

What are you talking about? As others have already mentioned, Apple has already accounted for this. I forget if it was Eddie or Craig that mentioned it an interview, but only one of your devices will ever respond to Hey Siri because of intelligent awareness. I would make sure all your devices are signed into the same iCloud account.

Braderunner

Suspended
Oct 2, 2015
Tralfamadore
“FaceTime HD” camera... 720p in 2018
When I read your comment, I thought, "There's no way. This is made up". Then I thought, "It really isn't that surprising...Apple always seems to throw in some seriously outdated hardware. But, given the cost difference between 720p and 1080p...in 2018". So I checked.....unbelievable.
I mean...ok, no one is going to be using a laptop to take photos or record video. But, still, it just doesn't match the display. I mean, what the....o_O :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.