Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
I said this elsewhere, but yes I agree that's how it's *supposed* to work. In practice it does not. I raise my wrist, ask my Apple Watch to unlock the garage door, HomePod responds "I can't do that". It's MADDENING. Wrong device ALL the time.

But we’re not discussing about *which* device is responding to you, but that only *one* device should ever respond back (regardless of which device you intended the command for), which is how Apple has designed Siri to behave in a household of multiple devices.

As for HomePod replying back, I would just suspect that it’s because of its much more superior microphone pickup than the Apple Watch. This happens to me all the time too so you’re not alone on that one. Also the HomePod should be opening your garage door anyway as HomeKit is iCloud based anyway, so that’s another issue onto itself.

Last edited:

MallardDuck

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2014
But we’re not discussing about *which* device is responding to you, but that only *one* device should ever respond back (regardless of which device you intended the command for), which is how Apple has designed Siri to behave in a household of multiple devices.

As for HomePod replying back, I would just suspect that it’s because of its much more superior microphone pickup than the Apple Watch. Also the HomePod should be opening your garage door anyway as HomeKit is iCloud based anyway, so that’s another issue onto itself.

They may have designed it that way, but it does not work that way. My phone, watch and iPad all regularly respond at the same time. If i lift my wrist and talk to the watch, the iPad across the room triggers, and so forth.

Siri has become senile. Even basic voice recognition sucks (and is far worse than in the past), let alone the jello-for-brains system on the back end. It's terrible - tried to use it to write a reminder - 'Fix Gate' and ended up with everything from 'sex hate' to 'six fate', but never got what I wanted, even after slowing down and enunciating. Trying to call a business in my phone brings up a web search - half the time. the other half, it either says that it doesn't know the number or magically it goes through. If there's been an investment in Siri, it's nowhere to be found (and having people manually create shortcuts tells the whole store - 'we can't make it work, so go write a script'.

Siri.bat anyone?

P.S. I'd never use any of these devices - apple, google, amazon, etc to control security or access points to my home. That's inviting trouble - either you can't get in, or someone else can. Most of those devices are really poorly secured.

ColdShadow

Cancelled
Sep 25, 2013
Wow such a groundbreaking feature..I’m impressed.......
Not!
The first thing I do,is turning of Siri altogether..so annoying and lame.

GPDawes

Suspended
Oct 22, 2015
Anyone know the bluetooth chip being used? wondering if it supports APTX HD? 990K LDAC would be too much of an ask from Apple.

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
Given that’s how it works on phone or iPad I am confident it will work that way on the Mac
Wait what? Since when? As I understood it it's trained to recognise your voice just to help it not miss you, not so it can ignore other people. I just tested and activated my colleagues watch.

danmart

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2015
Lancs, UK
Wait what? Since when? As I understood it it's trained to recognise your voice just to help it not miss you, not so it can ignore other people. I just tested and activated my colleagues watch.
The watch doesn’t distinguish voices, only the phone or iPad. When you enable ‘hey Siri’ on a phone or iPad you train it. When you enable it on the watch, you don’t.

The watch relies in the fact you are looking at the screen to limit false-triggers.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Haha, yeah could be. I mean, you had those small adapters, I forgot their name. Which let you use a micro sd card and still sit flush in the laptop.

I'm getting a A7iii next week so USH-II speed will be nice yes, guess I'll have to get a adapter or stick to a slower speed.
It’s too bad that both slots aren’t UHS-II but I only really need redundancy that good when I’m shooting a wedding. I did one in May but it’s not often. You should really love that a7 III. It’s basically the a7R III without the higher resolution or that super resolution pixel shift mode. If it had come out first I would have bought it. I had been waiting ages. I will say, however, that I love being able to crop more and not worry about still getting a large print out of it. Or extreme crops for the web of wildlife until I get a good wildlife lens. Switched from Canon.

Kobayagi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
It’s too bad that both slots aren’t UHS-II but I only really need redundancy that good when I’m shooting a wedding. I did one in May but it’s not often. You should really love that a7 III. It’s basically the a7R III without the higher resolution or that super resolution pixel shift mode. If it had come out first I would have bought it. I had been waiting ages. I will say, however, that I love being able to crop more and not worry about still getting a large print out of it. Or extreme crops for the web of wildlife until I get a good wildlife lens. Switched from Canon.

Yes, I really looks great. Can't believe they stick the same AF system in it from the A9 for so much less money. Yes, they had to cut a few corners, but overal, all the good stuff is in it.

I'm still using a NEX-6, which was great when it came out. But my jump is going to huge: FF, amazing AF and speeds, bigger buffer, 4k, 1080 @ 120fps, etc. etc.

The only downside are the lenses which are really expensive. I'm fresh out of college and starting my own business in photography and video. Buying the camera is one thing, but the lenses are huge investments. I'd love the Sony 24-105mm F4. But it's €1350, while the kit lens is only €200 when buying the body for €2300 over here in the Netherlands. I know the differences in image quality are big, but damn, the lenses are expensive, especially the lovely primes Zeiss offers.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Yes, I really looks great. Can't believe they stick the same AF system in it from the A9 for so much less money. Yes, they had to cut a few corners, but overal, all the good stuff is in it.

I'm still using a NEX-6, which was great when it came out. But my jump is going to huge: FF, amazing AF and speeds, bigger buffer, 4k, 1080 @ 120fps, etc. etc.

The only downside are the lenses which are really expensive. I'm fresh out of college and starting my own business in photography and video. Buying the camera is one thing, but the lenses are huge investments. I'd love the Sony 24-105mm F4. But it's €1350, while the kit lens is only €200 when buying the body for €2300 over here in the Netherlands. I know the differences in image quality are big, but damn, the lenses are expensive, especially the lovely primes Zeiss offers.
Buy prime lenses. The 28mm f/2 and 85mm f/1.8 are excellent and a good price. I own those and the 50mm macro (slow autofocus which matters less for macro but otherwise good). You get the sharpness and brightness without breaking the bank. Then when I’m traveling I rent the 100-400mm f/4-5-5.6 or the recent wedding I rented the 70-200mm f/2.8. I had the Canon 24-105mm f/4 in college and it’s not what it’s cracked up to be. It’s a nice range but f/4 doesn’t do it for me any more on the low end. A 24-70mm f/2.8 is a better option IMO. But I will say the downside to mirrorless is the dust, so swapping lenses is a careful operation that is done more frequently with primes. I had the Canon 24-70mm f/2.8 on my 5D MkIII at work and loved that lens so I’ll probably go for that next. Might pick up a wider lens in the 16mm range next and either the 70-200mm f/2.8 or 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 after that in the coming years. I loved both of those so much when I used them. I have the Canon 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 and the Sony blows it away.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.