2018 Macbook Pro keyboard a month later

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AppleHater, Oct 17, 2018.

1. AppleHater macrumors 6502a

I have been a vocal critic of the butterfly keyboards. Especially coming from 2013 Macbook Pro, the typing felt terrible when I tried it at the Apple Store.

Still, since I needed to upgrade, I got a 2018 Macbook Pro despite of the keyboard. I had to get used to the keyboard with many mistypes initially.

To my surprise, though, after using it for about a month, I got used to this, and I'm actually starting to like it. I'm a software engineer and I won't trade my mechanical keyboard for my work PC with this keyboard. However, for my casual use, this keyboard is very much usable. I still wish there were more key travels, but I felt I need to correct my opinion which was formed without giving enough chances to this keyboard.

Hopefully, by the time when I need to upgrade next time, Apple will finally figure out the dream keyboard, haha.

2. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

Same experience here - except I wasn't a critic of the butterfly keyboard when it first came out - I upgraded from a late 2013 rMBP.

I actually like the feel of the keyboard - better than the ergo keyboard I use at work for WinDoze 10

3. 1096bimu macrumors 6502

1096bimu

I have always been a vocal critic of the critics of the butterfly keyboards, it's the perfect example of people complaining about a change just because it is different from what they are used to and fail to look at the difference objectively.

less travel = less energy expended for each keypress = easier to type

4. poorcody macrumors 6502a

poorcody

I had a similar experience -- didn't initially particularly like it, took me a while to adjust, but now I actually prefer the lighter key travel to even my old MacBook Air. Once I learned to strike the keys more gently, I found I could type faster. Sometimes when I go to an older keyboard, my keypresses don't register because I am not hitting the keys hard enough for them to go down all the way! I think the lighter touch is also easier on the fingers for the same reason.

5. techspin macrumors 6502a

I enjoy the keyboard as well. It's not the same as a mechanical keyboard with cherry mx brown switches, but it's satisfying in its own way.

6. xealo macrumors 6502

I was reluctant at first(came from a 2012 mbpro). But after a few days, I actually started liking it a lot. It feels like a short throw mechanical keyboard.