2018 MacBook Pro Screen Uniformity

usrockband

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2018
Hi,

I've been looking to get a 2018 15" MBP and have been having a terribly annoying buying process. For different reasons I've now gone through several different units (13" and 15".) Among things, I've noticed that many (probably the majority) of the panels on these laptops have absolutely terrible white balance uniformity. Has anyone else noticed this on their machine? 9/10 the left third or half of the screen is orange / red while the right half is much cooler. Not a big deal unless you do anything on the internet (which of course I do.) It's such an annoyance to me that I'm seriously considering ditching Apple altogether (I don't want to - I like Logic and would prefer not going to Pro Tools.)

Just wanted to get your thoughts. Is this something that bothers you? Does this really live up to the Apple screen standard in your view? I'm really tired of playing the lottery (and feel bad for Apple for having to do these exchanges), but is it worth trying again? I should note that this issue isn't on all machines - I've seen some that were fine and some that were nearly perfect, but they seem to be a dime a dozen.

Thanks in advance!

maplingstorie

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2009
Malaysia
If you're using Logic and not doing color work, I don't think why the screen should matter so much to you. The screen is lovely there's a little reddish tint on mind but I guess it's because of the P3 display panel (wide color gamut) (I really dig this panel but of course OLED would be a perfect one). It's the same for iPhone 7 plus. If you're not used to it, I guess you should consider ditching Apple or use an external display.

fokmik

macrumors 601
Oct 28, 2016
USA
i don't have any screen uniformity...remember the lcd in the 2018 has a different approach
at least my 2018 has no more the 2 common issues that previous had, no more bleeding and no more uniformity

usrockband

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2018
If you're using Logic and not doing color work, I don't think why the screen should matter so much to you. The screen is lovely there's a little reddish tint on mind but I guess it's because of the P3 display panel (wide color gamut) (I really dig this panel but of course OLED would be a perfect one). It's the same for iPhone 7 plus. If you're not used to it, I guess you should consider ditching Apple or use an external display.
Yep it's not a problem in Logic but whenever I'm doing any sort of web browsing (such as right here on this forum, or reddit, or google, or YouTube...) or word processing, or work in Excel, it is very much noticeable. A tint on the whole screen wouldn't bother me at all - its the lack of uniformity across the panel that does.

maplingstorie

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2009
Malaysia
Yep it's not a problem in Logic but whenever I'm doing any sort of web browsing (such as right here on this forum, or reddit, or google, or YouTube...) or word processing, or work in Excel, it is very much noticeable. A tint on the whole screen wouldn't bother me at all - its the lack of uniformity across the panel that does.
I guess I'm one of the lucky ones because I do not see any lack of uniformity of my current and before one. (And I have quite a sensitive sight)

usrockband

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2018
i don't have any screen uniformity...remember the lcd in the 2018 has a different approach
at least my 2018 has no more the 2 common issues that previous had, no more bleeding and no more uniformity
Yeah interesting. Haven't seen a pre-2016 model that had any of these uniformity issues. Guess the screen quality has to go down somewhere when it goes up somewhere else. Shame.

fokmik

macrumors 601
Oct 28, 2016
USA
Yeah interesting. Haven't seen a pre-2016 model that had any of these uniformity issues. Guess the screen quality has to go down somewhere when it goes up somewhere else. Shame.
trust me, try an 2018 display..the lcd now its raped around the bezels, so this mean no more backlit bleed, screen is more uniform than ever...the only downside, but its not for the naked eye, is that the 2018 display is a little bit dim than the 2016-2017 at around 470nits vs 501 nits, but again this i found with a proper tool

usrockband

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2018
trust me, try an 2018 display..the lcd now its raped around the bezels, so this mean no more backlit bleed, screen is more uniform than ever...the only downside, but its not for the naked eye, is that the 2018 display is a little bit dim than the 2016-2017 at around 470nits vs 501 nits, but again this i found with a proper tool
Honestly, personally, the uniformity issues are faaaar more annoying than backlight bleeding. I'd take some backlight bleeding over non-uniform whites. The backlight bleeding is only noticeable now and then on dark screens. White uniformity is noticeable much more frequently.

I have noticed backlight bleed on these panels is exceptional (basically non-existent), but I can't say I agree with your assessment of uniformity. In my experience Apple's screens have only gotten worse in this regard since the 2016 refresh.

Last edited:
Reactions: SDColorado

fokmik

macrumors 601
Oct 28, 2016
USA
i have 2x15" MBP 2018...so at least im speaking objectively , doesn't heart to try a unit even in an apple store
For me both backlight bleed and uniformity are important for drawing on white and autocad projects

usrockband

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2018
i have 2x15" MBP 2018...so at least im speaking objectively , doesn't heart to try a unit even in an apple store
For me both backlight bleed and uniformity are important for drawing on white and autocad projects
Oh, sorry if I wasn't clear. I have looked at / tried several 2018 models. Many of them (probably most) had the bad uniformity I am talking about. Some of them though were fine - the good ones were almost all silver. Maybe it's a batch thing?

Not sure what I'll do at this point. Disappointing that the screen QC seems to have gone downhill when the rest is so great.

Balders

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2008
UK
I've had five 15" MacBook Pro 2018 model and all have had uniformity issues or left pink/right blue issues. In my opinion, the screens are junk and Apple have a quality control issue - I've checked multiple models in the stores with the same problems also and some are much worse than others.

usrockband

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2018
I've had five 15" MacBook Pro 2018 model and all have had uniformity issues or left pink/right blue issues. In my opinion, the screens are junk and Apple have a quality control issue - I've checked multiple models in the stores with the same problems also and some are much worse than others.
I think the left pink right blue issue is what I've been struggling with. Bummer to hear that you've had no luck.

Reactions: Rocko99991

Celedral

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2008
Los Angeles
Did you attempt any screen replacements?

pendragon1984

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2013
I'm going through this too. Just ordered my second Macbook Pro to compare to this one.

I saw one in a John Lewis downtown today though that was pretty good.

So, good ones do exist! I just hope they aren't too rare!

I don't think the screen on this computer is fitting of a 3 grand machine!

Celedral

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2008
Los Angeles
Dropped mine off at apple for a screen replacement. Before I left, I looked at the store demo units and noticed they looked similar as well with the pinkish green hues. There goes some of my hopes.

CRoebuck

macrumors member
May 16, 2014
Not sure about uniformity but I've returned 3 2018 13" refurbs now for PWM flicker. I'm very sensitive to this. My 2017 exhibits none (A034 panel) of this (although the keyboard has failed several times) but every 2018 13" I've tried (A03E) panel flickers and causes my eyes to get sore. I was in NYC over the weekend and tried several in store and all had the A03E panel and all were uncomfortable to look at for more than 10 minutes.

I've just taken delivery of a 15" and that is fine.

Reactions: SDColorado

bosozoku

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2018
Tokyo
Oh, sorry if I wasn't clear. I have looked at / tried several 2018 models. Many of them (probably most) had the bad uniformity I am talking about. Some of them though were fine - the good ones were almost all silver. Maybe it's a batch thing?

Not sure what I'll do at this point. Disappointing that the screen QC seems to have gone downhill when the rest is so great.
Great? You mean, faulty keyboards and throttling?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.