Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

patwithamac

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2018
Is there a way to check to see if an error occurred? Are there some sort of reports or error logs I can check in Console or something? Thanks

In a terminal window;
sudo ls -l /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/ProxiedDevice-Bridge
look for panic* files

In Console, under;
System Reports -> ProxiedDevice-Bridge
look for panic* logs

Reactions: KDLM

KDLM

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2018
San Diego
In a terminal window;
sudo ls -l /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/ProxiedDevice-Bridge
look for panic* files

In Console, under;
System Reports -> ProxiedDevice-Bridge
look for panic* logs
@patwithamac Thanks! I went into console and I find no errors in that ProxiedDevice-Bridge folder, so I guess that means I've had no Bridge KPs? This is getting pretty technical for me. Is that a special folder built into Console just for Bridge OS KPs?

Last edited:

patwithamac

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2018
... Is that a special folder built into Console just for Bridge OS KPs?

Who knows.... given Apple's lack of transparency about pretty much anything to do with system internals, it's anyone's guess.
All I know is - that's where others have reported finding Kernel Panic reports in the past.

mreg376

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
If you buy a Mac with a T2 chip, and it crashes, return it and do not try to troubleshoot.

Agreed. I'm awaiting delivery of a new quad-core 13" MBP Pro/i7/16/512. I'm going to put the machine through its paces and if there is a SINGLE kernel panic or unexplained reboot or shutdown before the return period expires on January 8 it is going back.

Reactions: itsamacthing

vaugha

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2011
^ Let us know how the latest update fares. Judging from what I have been observing since July 2018 when it first came out, the no. of reported issues at least from what I read from this thread alone are gradually decreasing at a slow but steady pace. I know people still have issues but not as widely as before, say 2 months ago, let alone 5 months ago. Or it could be that people just got sick of it and walked away from it.

KDLM

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2018
San Diego
If you buy a Mac with a T2 chip, and it crashes, return it and do not try to troubleshoot.
That is what I've done. I've been running my replacement MBP for about 48 hours and, so far, I have only had one issue I'm certain of. A bus-powered portable 2TB SSD dismounting more than a few times. I had thought this was related to the T2 thing, but I'm beginning to think it's something else. As far as I know, I've had no KPs, though my MBP may have restarted itself once when the displayed had timed off. This replacement MBP is at least experiencing far fewer problems.

Reactions: itsamacthing

jbg95

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2010
Here’s my plan. I bought a refurb 2018 MacBook Pro 15” on 11/15 and it worked fine for the first week or so. Then, the following happened:

• 11/15/2018: Received/Started using laptop
• 11/24/2018: Kernel Panic over night
• 11/25/2018: Kernel Panic over night
• 11/26/2018 9:00AM: Network hangup - network briefly froze, then came back
• 11/26/2018 9:30AM: System froze - took a long time to power off.
• 11/27/2018 8:45AM: System rebooted - randomly rebooted with kernel panic, I was not at the computer as I had just stepped away during a conference call.
• 11/29/2018 9:00PM: Network hangup - network froze, spinning wheel in ToolBar, browser not resolving websites. Apps are also slow to launch. Trying to launch Activity Monitor, it’s not launching. Console not launching, Terminal not launching. System totally froze at 9:18 and shut down. Fan briefly came on full blast. I powered backup, had to log back in, system is warm and fan ran at first. WTF? Crash report popped up.
⁃ 11/30/2018 1:58PM: Apps hung and system crashed again . As I was joining a customer call.
⁃ 12/1/2018 8:06AM: Opened laptop and it had to boot up (seemed to be powered on, just not booted). Crash report of bug_type 210
⁃ 12/3/2018 7:10AM : Opened laptop and it had to boot up (seemed to be powered on, just not booted). Crash report of bug_type 210
- 12/4/2018 - 3:15PM - system was on fine, then the fan went on high for a second and the system shut down (all within a 1-2 seconds). Had to fully power up from powered off.
- 12/5/2018 - installed update Mojave 10.14.2
- 12/8/2018 2:30PM - Network hangup - network froze, spinning wheel in ToolBar, then the fan went on high for a second and the system shut down. Upon reboot, crash report same error as previous.
- 12/9/2018 6:45PM - Opened laptop from sleep and it was restarted. Had to log in. Crash report, same error popped up. (yes, just half an hour ago from my posting this...enough's enough)

I am able to return this one, so I have initiated the process. Instead I am getting a 2017 15” refurb, which is what I had before (but new not refurb…gave it to my wife and figured I’d get a 2018 while I was at it). I had no idea of these issues at the time, but these issues have been hitting with enough regularity to be very concerned.

Side note: I’ve been using Apple products since the Apple ][+ in 1980 and this is the first time since then (I’ve owned numerous Apple ][’s, NeXTStations and Cubes, MacBook’s, Mac Pro’s, iMacs, Mac mini, several recent generation (2009 on) MacBook Pro’s (probably between 20-30 computers over the years) and this is the first set of issues like this I’ve had since some chip issues on the ][+ which could be mediated by swapping out some chips (those days are long since gone. :).

I had my MacBook Pro 2017 for about a year and a half and it’s been rock solid, aside from the keyboard. The 2017 keyboard has been flaky ('s' key popped off, one was sticking for a while but seems to have fixed itself…overall pretty minor issues (so far) and all covered under AppleCare. My wife is much less demanding on laptops so I’m anticipating it to last fine. I use mine for work and it’s on non-stop all day for calls, presentations, slide decks, docs, complicated spreadsheets, occasional video and design work, music, etc.

I’m going to use the 2017 until I see a rock star MacBook Pro come out (you know, every so often Apple nails it and comes out with the perfectly balanced workhorse of power, features, weight loss, etc).
I love the feel of the keyboard on the 2017, like the 2018 even better, Love the weight of the 2017/2018s, design-wise a step in the right direction. Maybe by 2019/2020 they’ll nail it again. I want to say 2013 or 2015 was the last time they really nailed it? And these generally have great longevity, we’ve often had 4-5 around the house between 1 and 8 years old, and even old ones have reasonable resale value.

The TouchBar is not only useless, but annoying to use to adjust brightness, volume, etc. I don’t believe I’ve used it for anything else. I’ve gotten used to a ‘virtual’ ESC key, but that’s a bit odd to critical key to fake. Though it has never failed me on the TouchBar.

I do like TouchID, that’s been handy. The bigger touch pad is nice, and while I’m cool with only USB-C connections, Magsafe is a major loss that I greatly miss - I can only guess it’s hard to implement with the laptop being this thin, they have been getting weaker over the years as the laptops have gotten smaller.

I’d like to hope 10.14.2 is fixing issues for people, I’m sure it is in some cases and will continue to improve. But I have some crazy travel and work schedule coming up and can’t afford to be down nor take them time to troubleshoot and spend hours at the Genius Bar. I need it to “Just work” as they have in the past.

Caveats: yes, the 2018 is a refurb., I’ve probably bought 50/50 refurb vs new in the past 20 years and have never had an issue with refurbs, until now I have wholeheartedly recommended them to anyone who didn’t need retail box new. Hopefully new batches of 2018 MBP’s are working out for folks, based on the poll on here it sounds like most people aren’t having an issue.

I have all the crash reports from the event crash history in case anyone would benefit from more specific errors to help you troubleshoot your issues.

Looking forward to the next killer generation of MBP’s, hopefully in the next couple of years.

edenorchestra

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2011
Pennsylvania
I think quite often Apple corrects many of these issues in updates but doesn't necessarily announce they have done so. My 2016 MBP had horrible KP's when connecting to my LG 5k monitor. Its seemed every time I put it in sleep mode, or closed the lid, or came back to it in the morning, something crashed. Then there would be an update and things looked better, not perfect but better. Eventually everything worked perfect, maybe after 10.14 came out, although I'm not totally sure. In any case that 2016 MBP now works perfectly. I was always concerned it was a hardware issue, but obviously it was in reality a software issue. So the moral of the story is, most likely Apple will find it and fix it. In the meantime I share everyone's frustration. I'm selling the 2016 now that I have a loaded 2018 which I love so far and have been lucky not to have the bridge KP's. Best of luck all.

Beancamel

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2018
Northeast, CT
Here’s my plan. I bought a refurb 2018 MacBook Pro 15” on 11/15 and it worked fine for the first week or so. Then, the following happened:

• 11/27/2018 8:45AM: System rebooted - randomly rebooted with kernel panic, I was not at the computer as I had just stepped away during a conference call.
• 11/29/2018 9:00PM: Network hangup - network froze, spinning wheel in ToolBar, browser not resolving websites. Apps are also slow to launch. Trying to launch Activity Monitor, it’s not launching. Console not launching, Terminal not launching. System totally froze at 9:18 and shut down. Fan briefly came on full blast. I powered backup, had to log back in, system is warm and fan ran at first. WTF? Crash report popped up.
⁃ 11/30/2018 1:58PM: Apps hung and system crashed again . As I was joining a customer call.
⁃ 12/1/2018 8:06AM: Opened laptop and it had to boot up (seemed to be powered on, just not booted). Crash report of bug_type 210
⁃ 12/3/2018 7:10AM : Opened laptop and it had to boot up (seemed to be powered on, just not booted). Crash report of bug_type 210
- 12/4/2018 - 3:15PM - system was on fine, then the fan went on high for a second and the system shut down (all within a 1-2 seconds). Had to fully power up from powered off.
- 12/8/2018 2:30PM - Network hangup - network froze, spinning wheel in ToolBar, then the fan went on high for a second and the system shut down. Upon reboot, crash report same error as previous.
- 12/9/2018 6:45PM - Opened laptop from sleep and it was restarted. Had to log in. Crash report, same error popped up. (yes, just half an hour ago from my posting this...enough's enough)

I am able to return this one, so I have initiated the process. Instead I am getting a 2017 15” refurb, which is what I had before (but new not refurb…gave it to my wife and figured I’d get a 2018 while I was at it). I had no idea of these issues at the time, but these issues have been hitting with enough regularity to be very concerned.

Side note: I’ve been using Apple products since the Apple ][+ in 1980 and this is the first time since then (I’ve owned numerous Apple ][’s, NeXTStations and Cubes, MacBook’s, Mac Pro’s, iMacs, Mac mini, several recent generation (2009 on) MacBook Pro’s (probably between 20-30 computers over the years) and this is the first set of issues like this I’ve had since some chip issues on the ][+ which could be mediated by swapping out some chips (those days are long since gone. :).

I had my MacBook Pro 2017 for about a year and a half and it’s been rock solid, aside from the keyboard. The 2017 keyboard has been flaky ('s' key popped off, one was sticking for a while but seems to have fixed itself…overall pretty minor issues (so far) and all covered under AppleCare. My wife is much less demanding on laptops so I’m anticipating it to last fine. I use mine for work and it’s on non-stop all day for calls, presentations, slide decks, docs, complicated spreadsheets, occasional video and design work, music, etc.

I’m going to use the 2017 until I see a rock star MacBook Pro come out (you know, every so often Apple nails it and comes out with the perfectly balanced workhorse of power, features, weight loss, etc).
I love the feel of the keyboard on the 2017, like the 2018 even better, Love the weight of the 2017/2018s, design-wise a step in the right direction. Maybe by 2019/2020 they’ll nail it again. I want to say 2013 or 2015 was the last time they really nailed it? And these generally have great longevity, we’ve often had 4-5 around the house between 1 and 8 years old, and even old ones have reasonable resale value.

The TouchBar is not only useless, but annoying to use to adjust brightness, volume, etc. I don’t believe I’ve used it for anything else. I’ve gotten used to a ‘virtual’ ESC key, but that’s a bit odd to critical key to fake. Though it has never failed me on the TouchBar.

I do like TouchID, that’s been handy. The bigger touch pad is nice, and while I’m cool with only USB-C connections, Magsafe is a major loss that I greatly miss - I can only guess it’s hard to implement with the laptop being this thin, they have been getting weaker over the years as the laptops have gotten smaller.

I’d like to hope 10.14.2 is fixing issues for people, I’m sure it is in some cases and will continue to improve. But I have some crazy travel and work schedule coming up and can’t afford to be down nor take them time to troubleshoot and spend hours at the Genius Bar. I need it to “Just work” as they have in the past.

Caveats: yes, the 2018 is a refurb., I’ve probably bought 50/50 refurb vs new in the past 20 years and have never had an issue with refurbs, until now I have wholeheartedly recommended them to anyone who didn’t need retail box new. Hopefully new batches of 2018 MBP’s are working out for folks, based on the poll on here it sounds like most people aren’t having an issue.

I have all the crash reports from the event crash history in case anyone would benefit from more specific errors to help you troubleshoot your issues.

Looking forward to the next killer generation of MBP’s, hopefully in the next couple of years.

thanks for all this info, looks like ill go with the 2017 MBP as well, no way in hell can i afford a single crash during a performance. its my livelihood. i guess ill wait til this T2 mess is ironed out before i buy a 6 core model.

KDLM

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2018
San Diego

@jbg95 - Thank you for this very informative post. It helps a lot. I had many of the same issues (though not as many of them) you've described on the original 2018 MBP I got about two weeks ago. I purchased a replacement (both new, not refurb) that I've been using since Friday morning. I don't think I've had any KPs. One time, I opened the replacement MBP and it booted up. I'm almost certain I hadn't shut it off. I think this may have been what you described happening to your MBP in your post on 12/1 and 12/3/2018. You said that you had a crash report both times of bug_type 210. How did you see that crash report? Did a little notification window pop up to tell you that, or did you go into Console (or somewhere else) to find them? Thanks!

jbg95

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2010
@jbg95 - Thank you for this very informative post. It helps a lot. I had many of the same issues (though not as many of them) you've described on the original 2018 MBP I got about two weeks ago. I purchased a replacement (both new, not refurb) that I've been using since Friday morning. I don't think I've had any KPs. One time, I opened the replacement MBP and it booted up. I'm almost certain I hadn't shut it off. I think this may have been what you described happening to your MBP in your post on 12/1 and 12/3/2018. You said that you had a crash report both times of bug_type 210. How did you see that crash report? Did a little notification window pop up to tell you that, or did you go into Console (or somewhere else) to find them? Thanks!

The Crash Report showed up as a pop-up window in the center of the screen right after login. (It can get buried under other windows if you're not careful and you may close it without realizing what it is. Once you open it, you can view the report, add comments, and send it to Apple. In each case I copied the contents to a file (so I have the trail of events), pasted the growing log of crashes into the window and sent it along. I haven't bothered to explore the errors deeper than that.

For an unsuspecting public, I could see how many people wouldn't think anything of it. They just get used to it as part of opening the laptop in the morning and log in. So it is possible that the frequency of issues is higher than we may think and people don't realize there's a common theme of issues across the user population. Maybe Apple has made the crash 'friendlier' since initial release so it's impact isn't as obvious or disruptive. Hopefully they'll track down the issue and even if it is hardware, can trap whatever triggers it and work around it.

Reactions: Plutonius

KDLM

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2018
San Diego
The Crash Report showed up as a pop-up window in the center of the screen right after login. (It can get buried under other windows if you're not careful and you may close it without realizing what it is. Once you open it, you can view the report, add comments, and send it to Apple. In each case I copied the contents to a file (so I have the trail of events), pasted the growing log of crashes into the window and sent it along. I haven't bothered to explore the errors deeper than that.

For an unsuspecting public, I could see how many people wouldn't think anything of it. They just get used to it as part of opening the laptop in the morning and log in. So it is possible that the frequency of issues is higher than we may think and people don't realize there's a common theme of issues across the user population. Maybe Apple has made the crash 'friendlier' since initial release so it's impact isn't as obvious or disruptive. Hopefully they'll track down the issue and even if it is hardware, can trap whatever triggers it and work around it.
@jbg95 - Thanks for clarifying that. I don't think I had that error message/report pop up. Do you know whether that would leave some record of a crash in Console? I don't see anything in there, but I don't know if there would be, and I don't know how long it would stay listed there in Console.

FilmCompos3r

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2018
I bought a 2017 iMac Pro, and had the T2 crashes. I just bought a 2018 Mac mini, and also get the T2 crashes.

I'm a power user, and have every port filled with something, be it USB 2 hubs, usb C raid hard drives, additional displays, etc.

Folks are saying here I should return, but I find it highly unlikely I'd get two lemons in a row. I suspect that it's an issue for all T2 chips on all systems, and it likely affects people with complex setups like myself more.

Still, any success stories from folks with tons of peripherals attached who returned/exchanged?

KDLM

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2018
San Diego
I bought a 2017 iMac Pro, and had the T2 crashes. I just bought a 2018 Mac mini, and also get the T2 crashes.

I'm a power user, and have every port filled with something, be it USB 2 hubs, usb C raid hard drives, additional displays, etc.

Folks are saying here I should return, but I find it highly unlikely I'd get two lemons in a row. I suspect that it's an issue for all T2 chips on all systems, and it likely affects people with complex setups like myself more.

Still, any success stories from folks with tons of peripherals attached who returned/exchanged?
I'm on my second 2018 MBP. The first one was experiencing very regular problems (probably at least 6-10 incidents in nine days, beginning almost right away. With both the original and the replacement, I always had/have an OWC 14 port TB3 dock connected to it, as well as an OWC Envoy Pro EX, which is an external bus-powered SSD connected directly to the MPB (not the dock). I've also connected an OWC ThunderBay Mini TB2 SSD RAID 0 array via an Apple TB2 to TB3 adapter. The second one has had no problems, except maybe one restart (which may have been from me shutting down the MBP before closing the lid though I'm not sure I did shut down). There was no error message with this restart, so I can't say it was an error and not my doing. I'm beginning to think the replacement MBP I got does not have the T2 issue. I've only been using it for three days, but my first MBP had about 3 to 5 errors in that time span. I have had/am having a problem with the Envoy drive randomly dismounting on both MBPs, but I'm beginning to think that is unrelated to the T2 problem (and is either a problem with the drive or the amount of power provided to it by the MBPs through the TB3 ports).

Beancamel

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2018
Northeast, CT

i was under the impression T2 chips are on 2018's macs

KDLM

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2018
San Diego
i was under the impression T2 chips are on 2018's macs
The iMac Pro was launched with a T2 chip, and all iMac Pros have them. At least that is my understanding. I believe the iMac Pro was the first Mac to have the T2 chip, and problems started showing up right away, I believe.

IdentityCrisis

Suspended
Sep 9, 2018
I am really shocked. I was really worried about all these t2 bridge crashes people speak of. But my MBP that I have now had for 5 days, and used it an average of 8 hours a day, has not had one single crash, reboot, or error.

I do believe the Vega models were improved for this issue.

KDLM

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2018
San Diego
I am really shocked. I was really worried about all these t2 bridge crashes people speak of. But my MBP that I have now had for 5 days, and used it an average of 8 hours a day, has not had one single crash, reboot, or error.

@IdentityCrisis - I ordered one of the new MacBook Pros with the Vega 20 about 3 weeks ago. It arrived two weeks ago and immediately started experiencing shutdowns, reboots and KPs. So they didn't get rid of the problem on the Vegas, unfortunately. I ordered a replacement MBP and have had it for 3 1/2 days. In that time, I think it may have shut down on its own once while the lid was closed, but I can't say for certain that I hadn't shut it down before I closed the lid. There was no KP warning pop up when it restarted (but I'm not sure there would be in that situation). So, my first 2018 MBP with the Vega 20 had all sorts of errors beginning almost immediately, but the replacement has had either one or maybe even none.

Reactions: SDColorado

Jerz

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2013
Boston, MA
11 days with my Vega20 model, not a single crash.
[doublepost=1544491856][/doublepost]

I came here to say exactly that, too.
[doublepost=1544491886][/doublepost]
@IdentityCrisis - I ordered one of the new MacBook Pros with the Vega 20 about 3 weeks ago. It arrived two weeks ago and immediately started experiencing shutdowns, reboots and KPs. So they didn't get rid of the problem on the Vegas, unfortunately. I ordered a replacement MBP and have had it for 3 1/2 days. In that time, I think it may have shut down on its own once while the lid was closed, but I can't say for certain that I hadn't shut it down before I closed the lid. There was no KP warning pop up when it restarted (but I'm not sure there would be in that situation). So, my first 2018 MBP with the Vega 20 had all sorts of errors beginning almost immediately, but the replacement has had either one or maybe even none.
I'm in the same boat as IdentityCrisis. Not a single crash or shut down and it has been 11 days, 8 hours+ a day.

Reactions: IdentityCrisis

vaugha

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2011
11 days with my Vega20 model, not a single crash.
[doublepost=1544491856][/doublepost]
I came here to say exactly that, too.
[doublepost=1544491886][/doublepost]
I'm in the same boat as IdentityCrisis. Not a single crash or shut down and it has been 11 days, 8 hours+ a day.

This is a good sign but it's a little premature to come to a conclusion yet. If you have any T2 related kernel panics, let us know asap. I'm really interested in knowing whether it really has been resolved w/ v16/20 releases.

KDLM

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2018
San Diego
This is a good sign but it's a little premature to come to a conclusion yet. If you have any T2 related kernel panics, let us know asap. I'm really interested in knowing whether it really has been resolved w/ v16/20 releases.
@vaugha - I can tell you it definitely has not be resolved on the Vega 20. I'm on my second MBP Vega 20. The first one crashed many times in nine days. My second one seems fine (may have randomly shut itself down once, but I'm not certain).

Reactions: SDColorado

IdentityCrisis

Suspended
Sep 9, 2018

Well, mine hasn’t had any in 5 days. Maybe it’s an application you use to cause it, or something you do? Hmm.
[doublepost=1544497710][/doublepost]
Even from sleep mode multiple times it’s still ok?

For me yes. Other than my external monitor not waking up and I have to power it off and on, it wakes up fine. I’ll definitely keep you all posted if it does or doesn’t do it.
[doublepost=1544497764][/doublepost]
@vaugha - I can tell you it definitely has not be resolved on the Vega 20. I'm on my second MBP Vega 20. The first one crashed many times in nine days. My second one seems fine (may have randomly shut itself down once, but I'm not certain).

Well, explain why two people have no issues and you do. Wondering if it’s something you are doing that’s causing it.

Reactions: Jerz and HenryDJP
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.