Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beageek

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2018
That's probably what makes it so difficult. Maybe it's

No, I don't think Apple would have changed the hardware. When is last time that Apple changed hardware in the middle of a production run. You'll realize that was NEVER. They may still think after a year that people will either deal with it or the problem would disappear. But it hasn't. Sone brand new computers have the same problem the iMac Pro did a year ago. Think even short and hard about that and the answer is obvious. They don't know, don't care, cannot find a solution, and DON'T want to replace the defective hardware.

Everything what mreg376 said makes sense to me.
For the record, T2 chip isn't working in the exactly same way on Air and Pro.
And 2018 Air was already on process when 2018 Macbook Pro was released.
Apple set all schedule for 2018 Air, and of course, they didn't want change its entire design and and reassemble due to small number of T2 chip issue.

They still have no clear solution but RETURN (means more likely hardware issue)
Apple tries to handle with new firmware (still no luck) or suggesting disable T2 chip functions which don't make sense. :)

kreasonos

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2013
I don't believe anyone is saying that it's a massive problem.

It take quite a bit of time to design, test, and fab a chip like the T2 in the quantities they need (its not a simple go in the back room and come out with something that works). I'm sure that Apple produced a large amount of the T2 before the iMac Pro or MacBook Pro even came out and that Apple assumed (probably correctly) that they could fix most of the T2 chips failures in software / firmware.

There was no way from a cost standpoint that Apple could admit anything wrong with their centerpiece T2 chip or stop using it. Charge a little more for the computer and AppleCare and assume that most of the issues will be corrected in software and firmware. What do you think would happen to Apple if Apple took out the T2 from the Air or Mini ?

A question to you. Don't you think if there was some massive issue with the butterfly keyboard that Apple would have R&D'd a new type of keyboard and then released it to the public? Their solution was to add a membrane to the butterfly keyboard and call it fixed even though there seems to be just as many failures. Apple is a corporation like any other.
[doublepost=1545884226][/doublepost]

Apple doesn't mention or document the bridge OS errors but you can probably assume that all the software / firmware updates since the MacBook Pro was released had some T2 fixes in them.
Officially Apple says that membrane was to reduce noise so stop spreading unsubstantiated non factual information as if it's true.
Everything what mreg376 said makes sense to me.
For the record, T2 chip isn't working in the exactly same way on Air and Pro.
And 2018 Air was already on process when 2018 Macbook Pro was released.
Apple set all schedule for 2018 Air, and of course, they didn't want change its entire design and and reassemble due to small number of T2 chip issue.

They still have no clear solution but RETURN (means more likely hardware issue)
Apple tries to handle with new firmware (still no luck) or suggesting disable T2 chip functions which don't make sense. :)
This is completely false and not based on fact what so ever.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Officially Apple says that membrane was to reduce noise so stop spreading unsubstantiated non factual information as if it's true.

A 30 second Google search shows that my claim is not unsubstantiated or non factual.

https://www.idownloadblog.com/2018/07/19/apple-admits-macbook-pro-keyboard/

Apple put the membrane in to impede dust from getting in the keyboard. I'm not sure how much they tested it out because it looks to me that the butterfly keyboard is still failing.

Back to my original question which you appeared to have deflected away from answering. You claimed that Apple would never go forward using a design that had issues (T2 in this case) and I asked you, if that is the case, why does Apple insist on using the butterfly keyboard ?

Can you give me some examples of Apple making a change mid-production to address some hardware issues ?

Reactions: Queen6

kreasonos

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2013
A 30 second Google search shows that my claim is not unsubstantiated or non factual.

https://www.idownloadblog.com/2018/07/19/apple-admits-macbook-pro-keyboard/

Apple put the membrane in to impede dust from getting in the keyboard. I'm not sure how much they tested it out because it looks to me that the butterfly keyboard is still failing.

Back to my original question which you appeared to have deflected away from answering. You claimed that Apple would never go forward using a design that had issues (T2 in this case) and I asked you, if that is the case, why does Apple insist on using the butterfly keyboard ?

Can you give me some examples of Apple making a change mid-production to address some hardware issues ?
That's your opinion, you have zero proof that's the actual reason apple started using a keyboard membrane. They have not once publicly stated that. The fact is that may be your opinion and the opinion of others but saying Apple added a keyboard membrane to prevent debris from entering the keyboard is 100% speculation. THAT IS A FACT.

Now, to address your other question: Here ya go: https://appleinsider.com/articles/09/04/08/apple_addressing_cracks_on_white_macbooks_casings

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
That's your opinion, you have zero proof that's the actual reason apple started using a keyboard membrane. They have not once publicly stated that. The fact is that may be your opinion and the opinion of others but saying Apple added a keyboard membrane to prevent debris from entering the keyboard is 100% speculation. THAT IS A FACT.

Now, to address your other question: Here ya go: https://appleinsider.com/articles/09/04/08/apple_addressing_cracks_on_white_macbooks_casings

Did you read the article I linked or do you think that this article is lying ?

Apple rarely publicly admits to problems but the article shows how the Apple internal 2018 MacBook Pro service guide says

"The keyboard has a membrane under the keycaps to prevent debris from entering the butterfly mechanism."

On the example you gave, it's not a redesign mid-production cycle but just a replacement with the existing case. It's Apple saying to replace the case where it might be cracked.

Can you give me an example of Apple redesigning something mid-production cycle ?

kreasonos

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2013
Did you read the article I linked or do you think that this article is lying ?

Apple rarely publicly admits to problems but the article shows how the Apple internal 2018 MacBook Pro service guide says

"The keyboard has a membrane under the keycaps to prevent debris from entering the butterfly mechanism."

On the example you gave, it's not a redesign mid-production cycle but just a replacement with the existing case. It's Apple saying to replace the case where it might be cracked.

Can you give me an example of Apple redesigning something mid-production cycle ?
Honestly, believe what you want. : )

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
Well, now every time I plug in my 4k UltraFine displays the computer restarts. Without fail. Every. Time. I can take a crash here or there, but this is sort of getting a little ridiculous. And there is no way to fix it.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Well, now every time I plug in my 4k UltraFine displays the computer restarts. Without fail. Every. Time. I can take a crash here or there, but this is sort of getting a little ridiculous. And there is no way to fix it.

Actually, a hard error is good for you when dealing with service.

You can take your computer and monitor to an Apple Store and demonstrate the problem.

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
Actually, a hard error is good for you when dealing with service.

You can take your computer and monitor to an Apple Store and demonstrate the problem.
I agree completely with that statement. However, there still isn’t a fix for it. Apple has released plenty of updates since the June release, and we’re now coming up on January. This is either a) something I’ll have to live with, or b) switch to a different platform.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
I agree completely with that statement. However, there still isn’t a fix for it. Apple has released plenty of updates since the June release, and we’re now coming up on January. This is either a) something I’ll have to live with, or b) switch to a different platform.

Considering that the issue began with the iMac Pro, which was released December 14, 2017. We are now officially over 1 year without a fix.

Reactions: Queen6 and guillone

idark77

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2014

I chose b)...

Reactions: Mendota and entropi

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
I chose b)...
I would love to choose b and never look back. The downside is that the Mac is pretty standard in the web dev world since it’s built on Unix. It’s super frustrating because the machine is solid as long as you don’t plug the screens into it. I’ve never had a crash otherwise.

And yes, as @SDColorado mentioned above, it has been over a year without a fix. Any of us reading this thread are waiting for a solution that Apple is unable (or unwilling) to provide.

idark77

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2014
I would love to choose b and never look back. The downside is that the Mac is pretty standard in the web dev world since it’s built on Unix. It’s super frustrating because the machine is solid as long as you don’t plug the screens into it. I’ve never had a crash otherwise.

And yes, as @SDColorado mentioned above, it has been over a year without a fix. Any of us reading this thread are waiting for a solution that Apple is unable (or unwilling) to provide.

Ok, but in my opinion Windows and Linux could also be used.

Reactions: SDColorado

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
Apple’s road to glory was their machines and OS that just worked and without any problems.

Boy no kidding…

I’m not exactly sure what the price premium is justified by if things are gonna be unreliable, inflexible AND priced high given the components in question (generally)

If they screw up macOS by trying to turn it into iOS on the desktop that will be the final straw for so very many of us.

I sure hope they can do better than those Marzipan apps in Mojave.
Those are some of the absolute worst “mac apps” I’ve ever seen.

Apple should be embarrassed and ashamed they even released those.

hdavid

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2018
Bought a MacBook Air two weeks ago and immediately had bridge OS crashes every time I put the system to sleep. Even on a clean system without any additional software installed and without any external devices attached. I returned the machine and got a replacement, which works fine. I would be very surprised if this is not a hardware issue.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Bought a MacBook Air two weeks ago and immediately had bridge OS crashes every time I put the system to sleep. Even on a clean system without any additional software installed and without any external devices attached. I returned the machine and got a replacement, which works fine. I would be very surprised if this is not a hardware issue.

Hopefully, the replacement will work better for you. The first Bridge OS error I got was about 10 minutes out of the box right after initial setup. Went through the initial setup, took a break to let my dogs out. Came back to it having rebooted with a Bridge OS error. Nothing attached but the power cord, nothing installed. I think it is definitely hardware or firmware, not software. It has been going on for over a year with the mid-December launch of the iMac Pro and has survived High Sierra and Mojave.

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2016
Apple has been dealing with the T2 crashing since last year. They've improved the stability so that many who are incurring it are incurring it less. There's still some who have a high occurrence of crashes it seems. Since Apple has a 14 day return period, try it out, and return it if you have issues.

I wouldn't say perfect, some folks seem to have the crackling, others have the T2. My machine has neither and I'm really happy with it.
you had the 2.2ghz 2018 right? Still glad you made that choice? I am thinking of diving back in an seeing if I come out with a pearl.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Apple is daring you to switch but is betting you will live with it. Just released 2 new products with the T2 and probably the iMac too. Apple’s road to glory was their machines and OS that just worked and without any problems.

I believe the T2 is just an interim step. Apple will probably release all computers with ARM processors in the coming years. The T2 functionality will probably be internal to the ARM processors.

I'm amazed the current T2 works at all since Apple interfaces it to an Intel chip and it can be daunting having to work out the interfacing between two very complicated chips especially if one of them isn't yours.

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2016
And hope your pearl doesn’t turn into a rotten egg after the return window closes.
Guessing you haven't read this whole thread (not judging) but I have an i9 that is flawless for about 4-5 months now of heavy daily use. I got a 2.6 also that did KP within a week, and have used a 13" that exhibited the issue. I have friends who have T2 based macs with absolutely no problems as well. So I've got some experience on all sides of this die.

mreg376

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Guessing you haven't read this whole thread (not judging) but I have an i9 that is flawless for about 4-5 months now of heavy daily use. I got a 2.6 also that did KP within a week, and have used a 13" that exhibited the issue. I have friends who have T2 based macs with absolutely no problems as well. So I've got some experience on all sides of this die.

Which was exactly my point, and shows that I HAVE read the whole thread. Any T2-equipped Mac can exhibit these problems, and not necessarily within the return window. There are users here who had no problems with their 2018 MBP until they purchased and tried to connect an external display a month later. Another poster above made a good point: people tolerate Apple's high prices and eccentricities because Macs have always been, with rare exceptions, solid, reliable and stable, in contrast to Windows. That has, for now at least, changed for the worse.

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2016
Which was exactly my point, and shows that I HAVE read the whole thread. Any T2-equipped Mac can exhibit these problems, and not necessarily within the return window. There are users here who had no problems with their 2018 MBP until they purchased and tried to connect an external display a month later. Another poster above made a good point: people tolerate Apple's high prices and eccentricities because Macs have always been, with rare exceptions, solid, reliable and stable, in contrast to Windows. That has, for now at least, changed for the worse.
It’s a sad truth. I do wonder if the change to arm will resolve all this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.