Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

2018 MBA For Virtual Machines?

HonestChicken

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 13, 2016
Hi everyone,

I am planning to purchase a 2018 MBA w/ 16GB and 512GB but don't know if it is powerful enough for my use.

I would need to run multiple virtual machines (2 at least - one Windows, one Linux) at the same time.

Applications that I use:
Microsoft SQL Server, Oracle MySQL, Anaconda(Python), Pycharm, Microsoft Visual Studio.

I don't do any video editing or photo editing.

The reason I'm asking is that I really like the tapered design of the Air, so it would be great if it is powerful enough (and smooth) for what I need it for.

nartycrem

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2018
For what it's worth, I'm on a 2018 MBA 8 GB / 256 SSD and I run a Windows 10 VM for SPSS, R, and Mplus. I crunch data with 3000 cases and 100-200 variables, with 5-7 Safari tabs, Word, PowerPoint, and sometimes Chrome in the background. I don't experience any lag (or a huge dip in battery, for that matter). I'm guessing that if 1 VM runs fine on 8 gb (with all the Mac apps open in the background), then 2 VMs should be okay with 16 gb.

Reactions: HonestChicken

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
Absolutely not. Especially as you want to run 2 VM's alongside the host.

If you like the design of the Air, then the Dell XPS 13 and Surface Laptop are in the same ballpark with design & are vastly more suitable for what you want to do. The Air is a terrible choice thanks to it's weak Y-series CPU.

jinnyman

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2011
Lincolnshire, IL
You know. I used to run VM on my core2duo MacBook Pro back then, and it was perfectly useable. I'm not sure, but I believe MBA 2018 is faster than my previous core2duo. so I guess you will be able to run it.

Would I want to do that now on MBA 2018 with 7W CPU, 2core 4thread, and the one without heat pipe? I would not.
Why you bother to consider MBA with that spec? I would rather purchase MBP 13". If esc and function keys are your primary reason behind your choice, then I would understand your pain.

HonestChicken

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 13, 2016
You know. I used to run VM on my core2duo MacBook Pro back then, and it was perfectly useable. I'm not sure, but I believe MBA 2018 is faster than my previous core2duo. so I guess you will be able to run it.

Would I want to do that now on MBA 2018 with 7W CPU, 2core 4thread, and the one without heat pipe? I would not.
Why you bother to consider MBA with that spec? I would rather purchase MBP 13". If esc and function keys are your primary reason behind your choice, then I would understand your pain.

Yes, I actually like the function key way more than than the touch bar, I have looked at the MBP with function key. But unfortunately Apple didn’t update it to gen 8 quad-core which sucks because it seems like they do that on purpose to obsolete the function key version.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.