2018 MBAr fan runs CONSTANTLY

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 15, 2010
Had the machine for just under a week. Should be through the whole indexing burn-in period now.

But the fan on this thing runs constantly. From five minutes after waking until almost 2 minutes after I put it to sleep by closing the lid. Day in/Day out. Just blares.

Seems abnormally high fan use to me.

Ma2k5

macrumors 68020
Dec 21, 2012
London
Had the machine for just under a week. Should be through the whole indexing burn-in period now.

But the fan on this thing runs constantly. From five minutes after waking until almost 2 minutes after I put it to sleep by closing the lid. Day in/Day out. Just blares.

It does seem high. What applications do you run? What does the activity monitor say?

Incisus

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2016

I also have the 18 rMBA.

What does your normal workflow look like? I found my fan only does this when using heavy file IO (e.g., syncing Google drive). After keeping an eye on the SSD temp, I think it is directly related.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 15, 2010
Office 365 apps + Safari. That's pretty much my daily open apps.

I just noted OneDrive was running. I shut it down, fan stopped. It's clearly the culprit, 105% of my CPU was being taxed by that one app. Time to go beat up my IT guys for forcing us off of Dropbox it sounds like.

Incisus

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2016

I just noted OneDrive was running. I shut it down, fan stopped. It's clearly the culprit, 105% of my CPU was being taxed by that one app. Time to go beat up my IT guys for forcing us off of Dropbox it sounds like.
Would you mind running a blackmagic SSD test? My fan is barely affected by the CPU, but greatly by the SSD. The fan is technically a chassis fan and not a CPU fan, so maybe it makes sense?

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 15, 2010
Would you mind running a blackmagic SSD test? My fan is barely affected by the CPU, but greatly by the SSD. The fan is technically a chassis fan and not a CPU fan, so maybe it makes sense?
Happy to do so. What results do you want to see?

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 15, 2010
No discernible change in temp or fan noise. In fact no fan at all while it’s running....until I re launch OneDrive. Then it fires up.

EugW

macrumors 604
Jun 18, 2017
I had the same problem with Office 2016's PowerPoint occasionally. I don't have that problem with One Drive.

Mind you, I have no fan, so I never hear it. I just noticed the MacBook getting warm.

newellj

macrumors 604
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden

My fan went into overdrive yesterday syncing a large number of files with DropBox via the DB app. Same deal - shut it down and the machine cooled off, though surprisingly slowly. I was also showing CPU rates > 100%.

DDustiNN

macrumors 68000
Jan 27, 2011
Something is wrong. Mine hasn’t kicked in at all yet. Between downloading and installing all of my apps, compiling and running Xcode, using iPhone simulator... it gets a noticeably warm sometimes, but still no fan. I have the 16GB RAM, fwiw.

newellj

macrumors 604
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Something is wrong. Mine hasn’t kicked in at all yet. Between downloading and installing all of my apps, compiling and running Xcode, using iPhone simulator... it gets a noticeably warm sometimes, but still no fan. I have the 16GB RAM, fwiw.
16gb hear too. I've downloaded and installed quite few apps with no issues. The DB sync seemed to cause quite a big issue for the machine.

Rob9874

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2010
Same here. My 16GB MBA gets quite hot, but I never hear the fan. Hoping there's nothing wrong with my machine.

DDustiNN

macrumors 68000
Jan 27, 2011
Same here. My 16GB MBA gets quite hot, but I never hear the fan. Hoping there's nothing wrong with my machine.
My fan finally kicked in when I was installing Windows 10 on VMWare. Quite a bit, actually. But now that it’s all set up, when I actually use it, the CPU kicks up and it can get a little warm but no fan anymore.

Reactions: Rob9874

newellj

macrumors 604
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I have been running a little utility called Macs Fan Control, not to control the fan but just to observe. The fan runs a lot at its minimum speed, 2700 rpm, which is almost inaudible. I'm surprised at how much of the time it's running, though.

Falcon80

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
I have been running a little utility called Macs Fan Control, not to control the fan but just to observe. The fan runs a lot at its minimum speed, 2700 rpm, which is almost inaudible. I'm surprised at how much of the time it's running, though.
I guess that might just worsen the battery life.

rmoliv

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2017
What are some of the tasks you are doing?
Media consumption like streaming videos on YouTube, Netflix, music in Apple Music, browsing the web in Safari, typing text in Pages, editing photos (in the Photos app though), writing and checking e-mails, printing stuff via AirPrint...

newellj

macrumors 604
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Weird. I've had mine for about two weeks now and I haven't heard the fan yet. It also doesn't get hot at all unlike my previous 2018 MBP.
I almost NEVER hear it. At 2700 rpm, which is what it's running right now, it's silent, at least if there's *any* noise in the background. But as someone observed, it's using some power.
[doublepost=1542827312][/doublepost]
The one time mine went crazy was syncing a group of document files on DropBox.

ascender

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2005
Something's not right - have you kept an eye on Activity Monitor to see what's going on with the CPU?

The fans went on with mine when Dropbox was synching initially but its been totally silent since.