2018 MBP - 13" Form Factor VS 15" GPU

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fompsweeva, Sep 22, 2018.

1. fompsweeva, Sep 22, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2018

fompsweeva macrumors newbie

Hi,

I'm trying to choose between 2018 MBP 13" Max Spec Spec and 2018 15" 2.6/560X. I'm wondering in which situations the better GPU in the 15" is desirable? I'm thinking of going with the 13 for portability.

My use case:
    - I'm a web developer. I use VSCode and terminal.
    - Occasional Photoshop/Lightroom usage.
    - Occasional video editing.
    - Not a gamer.

For the above tasks, would I see any benefit of going with the discreet GPU? If not, in what situations/use cases is the discreet GPU desirable?

Additionally, is the i7 too hot in the 13"?

Thanks,
    -Mike

2. jerryk macrumors 68040

I think the additional screen real estate would be the most beneficial feature of the 15" for your tasks. But having the dGPU can be also helpful in video editing with FCP and Premier.

3. Naimfan macrumors 601

Naimfan

Get the 15". The screen space is invaluable.

And I find the 13" far too cramped to work on.

4. sosumi99 macrumors 6502

sosumi99

The dGPU will not make a huge difference for you since your use of graphics-processing intensive apps is only "occasional." The screen size will be the primary benefit if you're using IDEs and flipping back and forth between browser previews and your development environment. It's doable on a 13" but better on the 15".

However, portability is highly personal. I cannot tolerate working with a 15 inch on my lap or on cramped bus/plane situations (lots of other users say it's fine, but it's not for me). So you have to really try them out at the store to decide if the 15" is portable enough for you.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I prefer the 15" myself, the added screen real estate is quite noticeable imo.