2018 MBP 13' touch bar not charging while playing games

manyelski

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 3, 2014
So I noticed that my MBP 18 13' is not charging while I play Dota 2. I noticed it was not charging with my other charger (Anker 60W 4 USB A 1 USB C hub), though it was the charger itself. But last nite I was charging my iPhone using my laptop while playing some Dota 2 and noticed my battery was down to 94%. So what is going on in here?

BuCkDoG

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2013
Alright so you have a few issues here and I’ll simple go thru them one by one. First off, why the heck are you gaming on a Mac? Maca are not meant for gaming whatsoever and also gaming on a 13in MacBook Pro with NO Discrete Graphics? You must like torturing yourself and your computer lol. That machine is definitely not designed to handle gaming but if that’s your jam, go for it. Secondly, you answered your own question about the Anker Charger. The USB-C port can handle up to 100W to charge and if your Anker is only providing 60 and your drawing more power than the charger can provide, that’s simple math that your battery will go down. Apples chargers I believe are not that much higher though for the 13in but I could be wrong. You can always buy a higher Wattage USB-C charger to ensure you have charge equilibrium. Hope this helps!

dof250

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2014
That indeed is the problem. The '18 13" comes with a 60watt charger, when gaming and charging a phone simultaneously the Macbook will easily use more than the 60watt's available from the charger.

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
I saw another thread where a person's MBP was not charging while under heavy demand. It seems the Mac us needing more power then what the charger can provide.

First off, why the heck are you gaming on a Mac?
Because he wants too. The OP came here for help, not criticisms on how he chooses to use his mac.
Maca are not meant for gaming whatsoever and also gaming on a 13in MacBook Pro with NO Discrete Graphics?
Macs are not gaming machines, but that doesn't mean the OP or any mac owner cannot game on it.

Reactions: Smoothie and Plett

Plett

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2016
I saw another thread where a person's MBP was not charging while under heavy demand. It seems the Mac us needing more power then what the charger can provide.

Because he wants too. The OP came here for help, not criticisms on how he chooses to use his mac.

Macs are not gaming machines, but that doesn't mean the OP or any mac owner cannot game on it.
Absolutely agree here!

BuCkDoG

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2013

I understand your stance on the matter however if you believe I came into this thread to solely criticize, you're sadly mistaken. Clearly the OP created a thread for help, to which I provided my opinion on the matter along with assistance to help the OP with their issue. Everyone knows that Macs are clearly not meant for gaming, but I never said that the OP couldn't game on one at all. I have 2 Macs myself, a 2017 5k iMac and a 2013 rMBP and both are clearly capable of gaming on their respective hardware.
Absolutely agree here!
Of course you couldn't agree more, typical band wagon staff member. LOL

Plett

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2016
I understand your stance on the matter however if you believe I came into this thread to solely criticize, you're sadly mistaken. Clearly the OP created a thread for help, to which I provided my opinion on the matter along with assistance to help the OP with their issue. Everyone knows that Macs are clearly not meant for gaming, but I never said that the OP couldn't game on one at all. I have 2 Macs myself, a 2017 5k iMac and a 2013 rMBP and both are clearly capable of gaming on their respective hardware.

Of course you couldn't agree more, typical band wagon staff member. LOL
LOL absolutely not true, in fact the point is I RARELY agree with that guy, particularly around the 2018MBP. So that was why it was fun. And telling someone how to use their computer is just silly, isn't it?

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
if you believe I came into this thread to solely criticize, you're sadly mistaken. Clearly the OP created a thread for help, to which I provided my opinion on the matter along with assistance to help the OP with their issue. Everyone knows that Macs are clearly not meant for gaming, but I never said that the OP couldn't game on one at all. I have 2 Macs myself, a 2017 5k iMac and a 2013 rMBP and both are clearly capable of gaming on their respective hardware.
The OP was looking for an answer to his question regarding his mac not charging. Playing games is completely immaterial, in fact the OP could incur this issue using other apps. I disagree with your sentiment, but I do not want to derail this thread. The OP has his answer and I'm out

GoldfishRT

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2014
Somewhere
According to Notebookcheck that’s plenty possible with the 13” - the machine will draw as much power as it can supply.

Common amongst a lot of notebooks lately.

I wonder if using the higher wattage 15” charger would help at all.

BuCkDoG

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2013
The OP was looking for an answer to his question regarding his mac not charging. Playing games is completely immaterial, in fact the OP could incur this issue using other apps. I disagree with your sentiment, but I do not want to derail this thread. The OP has his answer and I'm out
I like how you classify the OP as "his" when it could be "hers". You should be ashamed of yourself to even mention the OP as a certain gender. Im seriously offended that a Staff Member feels that way towards posters on here to simply classify them by their gender when that has 0 relevance to anything were discussing. I answered the OP question and gave my opinion, period. Clearly we have a difference of opinion on this and I won't be commentating any further within this thread.