Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Evolvme07

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2018
Hello everyone,

I'm looking to buy a new laptop. I'm right now deciding between the 2018 MBP 15 and the Dell XPS 15. Anyone here did a comparison on both these model and made your decision to buy one of them. I'm interested to you know your feedback and the reasons for you to get either the 2018 MBP 15 or the Dell XPS 15.

I love the Dell XPS 15's beautiful 4k display,good port selections, Nvidia graphics card and good performance.

#1. 2018 MBP 15 Base Model :
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1423733-REG/apple_mr932ll_a_15_4_macbook_pro_with.html

#2. Dell XPS 15:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-x...1050-512gb-ssd-silver/5784589.p?skuId=5784589

Let me know your thoughts .

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

justinf77

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2003
What will you be using the laptop for? Both are great machines. Essentially this decision just comes down to your preference for Mac OS or Windows, your budget, and whether or not you want to do any gaming.

Evolvme07

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2018
What will you be using the laptop for? Both are great machines. Essentially this decision just comes down to your preference for Mac OS or Windows, your budget, and whether or not you want to do any gaming.

I have been a windows user. I wanted to try out Mac OS for the first time.Since I have all other apple products at home except the MBP. I wanted to use this for my regular uses, photo editing works with lightroom & photoshop CC with some light video editing work. I dont game but my son loves playing fortnite on the laptop. I'm a photo hobbyist. I do landscape photography, travel and portraits photography are my main interests. 4k screen is a must have for me. If i choose 2018 MBP 15 i will buy an external LG 27" IPS monitor.
These are two models shortlisted.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1423733-REG/apple_mr932ll_a_15_4_macbook_pro_with.html

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-x...1050-512gb-ssd-silver/5784589.p?skuId=5784589

Pangalactic

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2016
Hello everyone,

I'm looking to buy a new laptop. I'm right now deciding between the 2018 MBP 15 and the Dell XPS 15. Anyone here did a comparison on both these model and made your decision to buy one of them. I'm interested to you know your feedback and the reasons for you to get either the 2018 MBP 15 or the Dell XPS 15.

I love the Dell XPS 15's beautiful 4k display,good port selections, Nvidia graphics card and good performance.

Let me know your thoughts .

Thanks in advance

I've used both so here is what I can tell you:
Build Quality - Dell, since it doesn't have keys that get stuck, and the chassis is sufficient to not suffer from thermal throttling
Keyboard - I like Macbook more but Dell is not too far behind
Port Selection - Dell, MBP is a joke
Screen - Dell, MBP is not too far behind
Speakers - MBP, Dell is pretty average in this respect
Battery - Dell
CPU + GPU - Dell, MBP has a great CPU that is not suitable for its chassis and a very poor GPU
Camera - Macbook, Dell is absolutely horrible with its up-the-nose camera, better buy an external one if this is important
Price - of course, Dell :D

I personally think Dell is a far superior option, it tramples the current MBP in nearly every aspect.

Reactions: Evolvme07

Evolvme07

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2018
I've used both so here is what I can tell you:
Build Quality - Dell, since it doesn't have keys that get stuck, and the chassis is sufficient to not suffer from thermal throttling
Keyboard - I like Macbook more but Dell is not too far behind
Port Selection - Dell, MBP is a joke
Screen - Dell, MBP is not too far behind
Speakers - MBP, Dell is pretty average in this respect
Battery - Dell
CPU + GPU - Dell, MBP has a great CPU that is not suitable for its chassis and a very poor GPU
Camera - Macbook, Dell is absolutely horrible with its up-the-nose camera, better buy an external one if this is important
Price - of course, Dell :D

I personally think Dell is a far superior option, it tramples the current MBP in nearly every aspect.

Thank you for your detail comparison. You did not specify which was the best overall experience and which was your choice ? ;)

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Dell has a faster GPU and seems to handle the CPU marginaly better. The MBP has better battery, connectivity and some premium features (like excellent USB surge protection etc.). MBP has superior build quality. Dell is cheaper.

Evolvme07

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2018
Dell has a faster GPU and seems to handle the CPU marginaly better. The MBP has better battery, connectivity and some premium features (like excellent USB surge protection etc.). MBP has superior build quality. Dell is cheaper.
Thanks for your reply. In the Dell the RAM & Storage is upgrade-able correct ?

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
I think if your son likes playing Fortnight, you might want to take a hard pass on the MBP.

Dell is really good for photography, it provides 100% Adobe RGB. Better than the MBP, but the display isn’t as bright at 400 nits vs 500 nits for the MBP.

I am in a little bit of the same boat, because I have had some issues with my 2018 MBP’s that have made me a little snake bit over them.

So I am having a good hard look at the Dell XPS 15, Microsoft Surface Book 2, Gigabyte Aero 15X and a couple other options.

Surface Book 2 has a nice graphics card and display, but lacks Thunderbolt 3. Gigabyte pushes a lot of buttons and also is 100% Adobe RGB, but is a little bigger and heavier.

https://www.gigabyte.com/Laptop/AERO-15X--i7-8750H#kf

Good luck with your search!

semistandard

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2018
You might consider Precision 5530 instead of XPS 15.
They are basically same, except that Precision 5530 has Quadro GPU instead of Geforce.
Anecdotally, there are less issues with it than with XPS 15, probably because it is from Dell business line. It might cost more than XPS 15, however they will be cheaper than the similarly configured MBP.
If you opt for Quadro P2000 - it is basically downclocked Geforce 1060 with less memory, optimized for CAD and other "pro" stuff. Should still get performance close to 1050ti Max-Q in games.

Evolvme07

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2018
I think if your son likes playing Fortnight, you might want to take a hard pass on the MBP.

Dell is really good for photography, it provides 100% Adobe RGB. Better than the MBP, but the display isn’t as bright at 400 nits vs 500 nits for the MBP.

I am in a little bit of the same boat, because I have had some issues with my 2018 MBP’s that have made me a little snake bit over them.

So I am having a good hard look at the Dell XPS 15, Microsoft Surface Book 2, Gigabyte Aero 15X and a couple other options.

Surface Book 2 has a nice graphics card and display, but lacks Thunderbolt 3. Gigabyte pushes a lot of buttons and also is 100% Adobe RGB, but is a little bigger and heavier.

https://www.gigabyte.com/Laptop/AERO-15X--i7-8750H#kf

Good luck with your search!

Thanks for your response. My son has Xbox which he plays the Fortnite. But someones he would like to play with the laptop. So gaming on this laptop is only light level. One of my colleague got the 2018 MBP recently and he says happy with it and no issues highlighted in this forum. Did you return your 2018 MBP ?

Being a windows user I wanted to try out other options. But the Dell XPS impressed me with the specs but haven't used them to check its performance. I will look into other options you listed above. Thanks.

Reactions: SDColorado

Pangalactic

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2016
Thank you for your detail comparison. You did not specify which was the best overall experience and which was your choice ? ;)

My choice would be a Dell, no doubt, at least in this generation :) Most important of all (for me) is that it's very reliable with no gimmicky components like the failing butterfly keyboard or the crashing touchbar, and IF something breaks you can get it fixed in a day. With a MacBook, get ready to wait for a week and pay $500 for all the repairs.

Overall, go with Dell for sure, you won't regret it!

Evolvme07

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2018
My choice would be a Dell, no doubt, at least in this generation :) Most important of all (for me) is that it's very reliable with no gimmicky components like the failing butterfly keyboard or the crashing touchbar, and IF something breaks you can get it fixed in a day. With a MacBook, get ready to wait for a week and pay $500 for all the repairs.

Overall, go with Dell for sure, you won't regret it!

Thanks for your suggestions.
[doublepost=1535667649][/doublepost]
They are basically same, except that Precision 5530 has Quadro GPU instead of Geforce.
Anecdotally, there are less issues with it than with XPS 15, probably because it is from Dell business line. It might cost more than XPS 15, however they will be cheaper than the similarly configured MBP.
If you opt for Quadro P2000 - it is basically downclocked Geforce 1060 with less memory, optimized for CAD and other "pro" stuff. Should still get performance close to 1050ti Max-Q in games.

Thanks for your suggestion. I did not look at this product so far. I will check them out.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Thanks for your response. My son has Xbox which he plays the Fortnite. But someones he would like to play with the laptop. So gaming on this laptop is only light level. One of my colleague got the 2018 MBP recently and he says happy with it and no issues highlighted in this forum. Did you return your 2018 MBP ?

Being a windows user I wanted to try out other options. But the Dell XPS impressed me with the specs but haven't used them to check its performance. I will look into other options you listed above. Thanks.

I have returned one already and am currently on #3, but can’t count #2. #2 came with physical damage and I never even bothered to set it up.

That said, I have had issues with both #1 and #3. Not the constant kernel panics that I had with #1, but some other oddities. Laptop just froze one day and attempting to reboot resulted in it hanging at the Apple logo. Did an SMC reset and got past that. Then some issues with certain web pages causing temps to ramp up to mid 90’s to 100c and fans to max. Today I only plugged in my phone to sync it and temps shot up to mid 90’s to 100c.

It isn’t working as expected or as I would like it to for the cost. I have been a Mac guy the past decade or so until picking up a Surface Pro last year and as much as I hate to say it, I am leaning toward returning this MBP as well and picking up my 2nd Windows machine in as many years.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008

This is a good advice. The Precision is the workstation line and it is more similar to the MBP in many design elements. Few notes though:

- the Quadro P2000 is not based on a GTX1060 — its a GTX1050 (GP107 chip)
- Precision has used more conservative performance profile in the past — probably due to stability concerns (e.g. Dell used to limit the CPU to 35 watts instead of 45 watt). No idea if this is still the case. At any rate, performance might be lower than its consumer sibling
- Precision configured to match the MBP will be essentially same price

Evolvme07

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2018
I have returned one already and am currently on #3, but can’t count #2. #2 came with physical damage and I never even bothered to set it up.

That said, I have had issues with both #1 and #3. Not the constant kernel panics that I had with #1, but some other oddities. Laptop just froze one day and attempting to reboot resulted in it hanging at the Apple logo. Did an SMC reset and got past that. Then some issues with certain web pages causing temps to ramp up to mid 90’s to 100c and fans to max. Today I only plugged in my phone to sync it and temps shot up to mid 90’s to 100c.

It isn’t working as expected or as I would like it to for the cost. I have been a Mac guy the past decade or so until picking up a Surface Pro last year and as much as I hate to say it, I am leaning toward returning this MBP as well and picking up my 2nd Windows machine in as many years.

Sorry to hear your bad experiences with the 2018 MBP. Yes its a expensive device and we should not this many issues for the price they charge for it. With few upgrades with apple care+ the price touches the $3k mark which is really expensive. This is my main reason going back & forth to choose the right laptop for me. I also was thinking of doing a custom build pc which also has some pros & cons to it.

semistandard

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2018
This is a good advice. The Precision is the workstation line and it is more similar to the MBP in many design elements. Few notes though:

- the Quadro P2000 is not based on a GTX1060 — its a GTX1050 (GP107 chip)
- Precision has used more conservative performance profile in the past — probably due to stability concerns (e.g. Dell used to limit the CPU to 35 watts instead of 45 watt). No idea if this is still the case. At any rate, performance might be lower than its consumer sibling
- Precision configured to match the MBP will be essentially same price

Hmmm...
A few sites (wikipedia for example) state that p2000 is actually gp106 chip.
Or there are two versions of p2000?
Edit: You are right. Mobile version is actually based upon 107. Sorry for the confusion.

I've managed to configure Precision with i7-8850, 1TB Class 50 SSD and 32GB Ram and P2000 for ~ 3k$ (on Dell site)
(3046 to be precise).
Similarly configured MBP will cost you a bit more (about 3600 on Apple site)

Last edited:

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
I've managed to configure Precision with i7-8850, 1TB Class 50 SSD and 32GB Ram and P2000 for ~ 3k$ (on Dell site)

Don't forget to include the HiDPI display and the bigger battery :) Its still a bit cheaper than the MBP, but its not near the difference between the XPS and the MBP.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Sorry to hear your bad experiences with the 2018 MBP. Yes its a expensive device and we should not this many issues for the price they charge for it. With few upgrades with apple care+ the price touches the $3k mark which is really expensive. This is my main reason going back & forth to choose the right laptop for me. I also was thinking of doing a custom build pc which also has some pros & cons to it.

Yeah, in this instance closer to 4K, which just makes the ordeal that much tougher to swallow. I similarly equipped XPS 15 runs about $800 less I think?

macjunk(ie)

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2009
Don't forget to include the HiDPI display and the bigger battery :) Its still a bit cheaper than the MBP, but its not near the difference between the XPS and the MBP.
I have never paid retail on the Dell. Black Friday usually brings good deals on the XPS line. The Microsoft store also gives a good deal on the XPSs from time to time

jafico1

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2018
Maine
I currently own a MacBook Pro 2018 15", with my previous laptop being a Precision 5520, so I can comment on both models:
  • Case: The MacBook definitely feels better put together, with much better manufacturing quality. The Dell is still fantastic, but there are some fit and finish issues (such as the laptop rocking somewhat on a desk) that make it feel a little more "built to a price".
  • Connectivity: Definitely the Dell - I miss being able to plug in USB-A devices and HDMI cables natively and not having to worry about adapters. Though, the MBP has 3x3 Wi-Fi compared to the 2x2 solution on the Dell, so that might be a factor in the MBP's favor.
  • Maintenance: You can upgrade the RAM, SSD, and Wi-Fi on the Dell; good luck doing that on the MBP!
  • Keyboard: While I like the MBP keyboard personally, the Dell is less polarizing and more reliable.
  • Touchpad: No contest - while the Dell's touchpad is the best any Windows laptop can offer, it still pales in comparison to the MacBook's.
  • Display: I actually prefer the MacBook, as it is a 16:10 aspect ratio, making for better productivity, and you don't need to use PremierColor to get accurate colors (the 4K display has way overblown colors without it. I still like the XPS display however!
  • Performance: Both are gonna suffer badly from thermal throttling - I had a really bad experience with the Dell where it would even shut down after a few minutes of GPU use due to it getting too hot, and the Mac's issues are pretty well known at this point. The Dell has a faster GPU, but it has a higher TDP, meaning it will be harder to cool. I'd say it's probably a tie.
  • Battery life - Definitely the Mac, but it's more due to MacOS being much better optimized than it is a hardware difference.
  • Warranty and support: Apple all the way. I've had bad experiences with Dell support, with them sending broken laptops as replacements for ones that had issues (I had 2 5510s before the 5520 which had video and performance issues), and they have weird procedures, such as having 3 repairs done before getting a replacement, which causes massive inconvenience. I do have AppleCare on my MBP, but Apple so far have been much more efficient, allowing me to replace my laptop past the usual 14-day window and even collecting data on the issues I've been having.
  • Price: The MBP, however, is much more expensive, especially if you live in a country other than the USA.
Overall, it's a difficult decision, especially with the $800 price difference. If it didn't have so many issues and if the support was better, I'd say go with the Dell definitely, but it was exactly my poor experience with the 5520 that pushed me to Apple.

Evolvme07

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2018
I currently own a MacBook Pro 2018 15", with my previous laptop being a Precision 5520, so I can comment on both models:
  • Case: The MacBook definitely feels better put together, with much better manufacturing quality. The Dell is still fantastic, but there are some fit and finish issues (such as the laptop rocking somewhat on a desk) that make it feel a little more "built to a price".
  • Connectivity: Definitely the Dell - I miss being able to plug in USB-A devices and HDMI cables natively and not having to worry about adapters. Though, the MBP has 3x3 Wi-Fi compared to the 2x2 solution on the Dell, so that might be a factor in the MBP's favor.
  • Maintenance: You can upgrade the RAM, SSD, and Wi-Fi on the Dell; good luck doing that on the MBP!
  • Keyboard: While I like the MBP keyboard personally, the Dell is less polarizing and more reliable.
  • Touchpad: No contest - while the Dell's touchpad is the best any Windows laptop can offer, it still pales in comparison to the MacBook's.
  • Display: I actually prefer the MacBook, as it is a 16:10 aspect ratio, making for better productivity, and you don't need to use PremierColor to get accurate colors (the 4K display has way overblown colors without it. I still like the XPS display however!
  • Performance: Both are gonna suffer badly from thermal throttling - I had a really bad experience with the Dell where it would even shut down after a few minutes of GPU use due to it getting too hot, and the Mac's issues are pretty well known at this point. The Dell has a faster GPU, but it has a higher TDP, meaning it will be harder to cool. I'd say it's probably a tie.
  • Battery life - Definitely the Mac, but it's more due to MacOS being much better optimized than it is a hardware difference.
  • Warranty and support: Apple all the way. I've had bad experiences with Dell support, with them sending broken laptops as replacements for ones that had issues (I had 2 5510s before the 5520 which had video and performance issues), and they have weird procedures, such as having 3 repairs done before getting a replacement, which causes massive inconvenience. I do have AppleCare on my MBP, but Apple so far have been much more efficient, allowing me to replace my laptop past the usual 14-day window and even collecting data on the issues I've been having.
  • Price: The MBP, however, is much more expensive, especially if you live in a country other than the USA.
Overall, it's a difficult decision, especially with the $800 price difference. If it didn't have so many issues and if the support was better, I'd say go with the Dell definitely, but it was exactly my poor experience with the 5520 that pushed me to Apple.

Thanks for the detail information you shared. This is very helpful for me. What's your current MBP configuration ? Currently B&H are having some specials and the price difference is $300 only. If i choose 2018 MBP 15" I'm thinking of going for the base model (i7/16GB/256GB SSD/555x) to save money and keep the cost lower and manage the storage external using a Samsung T5.

Reactions: SDColorado

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Thanks for the detail information you shared. This is very helpful for me. What's your current MBP configuration ? Currently B&H are having some specials and the price difference is $300 only. If i choose 2018 MBP 15" I'm thinking of going for the base model (i7/16GB/256GB SSD/555x) to save money and keep the cost lower and manage the storage external using a Samsung T5.

That T5 will do well. I have purchased one after giving my T3 to my wife along with my 2016 MBP. Either model is very nice.

I had to jump through a little hoop to get the Samsung Software to launch on connect and see the drive though. I had to add the Samsung App under accessibility and reboot. Works as I wanted it to now :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.