2018 MBP aand 10.14.2

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by allan53, Dec 14, 2018.

1. allan53 macrumors member

allan53

I have a Mac Pro and a 2018 MBP - 15 inch with touchbar. Yesterday, I finally decided to upgrade both to Mojave. There were no problems but today I got the message to upgrade to 10.14.2. I did so with no problems on the Mac Pro but the upgrade does not work on the MBP. I am using the update from the About this Mac window. The dl begins. I finally get a message saying the upgrade failed. But I boot into diagnostics and see "no issues found."

SHould I keep trying (I have tried 3x already) or is there something else I can try?

2. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

If you already successfully upgraded to Mojave, and a later update (the 10.14.2, in this case) fails to install properly, even using the Software Update pane, then download the combo updater from Apple Support, and run that. https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1987

3. allan53 thread starter macrumors member

allan53

Thank you. That did the trick.

4. solouki macrumors member

solouki

Glad that you were able to successfully update your 2018 MBP by downloading the combo package. This download will continually try until it is successful and the hash codes for the download are correct.

I suspect your original problem might be due to a WiFi connection issue that the 2018 MBPs may suffer. In my hands, I've had three 2018 MBPs that suffer these WiFi connection issues, but they are rare, random, and often intermittent (many times they fix themselves in under a minute, sometimes they don't resolve in 15 hours). The WiFi connection issue does break pipes, however, and thus the failures of large file transfers. I've had these WiFi connection issues cause multiple failures of Software Update, multiple failures of first time Time Machine backups, multiple web page load failures on Safari, Chrome, and Firefox, multiple failed rsync file transfers (broken pipes), multiple ping failures, multiple ssh broken pipes, multiple SMB mounted HDDs improperly ejected, and even multiple AirDrop failures. Intriguingly, these WiFi issues occur while the WiFi hardware is still working (SNR=50dBm).

If you experience future WiFi connection issues, instead of waiting for them to resolve by themselves, you can "fix" the WiFi disconnect by cycling the WiFi off then back on. Any pipes broken by the WiFi disconnects, however, will have to be restarted.