Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tm0000

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 29, 2014
I've noticed the screen flickering on my 2018 MBP i9 vega 20.

I tried unchecking "Automatic Graphics Switching" > energy saver... and the screen stopped flickering.

The screen is only flickering when I'm watching Netflix, not when I'm watching youtube. And the strange thing is, not all the movies cause the screen to flicker.

I have another MBP and I compared the exact same movies (the ones that were causing the flickering) and the screen did not flicker when watching on the old MBP. BTW "Automatic Graphics Switching" was checked on the old MBP.

Does anyone have any idea of what could be wrong? I'd really appreciate some opinions.

Thanks in advance!

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Does it flicker when you run games or other software that utilizes 3D graphics? When it flickers, does the entire screen flicker or only the Netflix window?

If the flickering is limited to Netflix only, my bet is on a software bug in Netflix, gpu driver or both.

tm0000

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 29, 2014
So, I just tested it out again and the entire screen flickers when Netflix is in full screen mode, but it doesn't flicker in the browser (normal mode/not full screen). I use safari BTW.

Thank you so much for replying!

Does it flicker when you run games or other software that utilizes 3D graphics? When it flickers, does the entire screen flicker or only the Netflix window?

If the flickering is limited to Netflix only, my bet is on a software bug in Netflix, gpu driver or both.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
So, I just tested it out again and the entire screen flickers when Netflix is in full screen mode, but it doesn't flicker in the browser (normal mode/not full screen). I use safari BTW.

Thank you so much for replying!

Yeah, so it’s limited to Netflix window only. I had a similar thing with full screen YouTube videos in safari, probably a safari bug. A later Mojave beta fixed it.

tm0000

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 29, 2014
Unfortunately, I don't think that's it.

I tested it on my 2014 MBP with the latest version of mojave (same as my new MBP) and the screen doesn't flicker on that.

Thanks for trying to help. :)

Yeah, so it’s limited to Netflix window only. I had a similar thing with full screen YouTube videos in safari, probably a safari bug. A later Mojave beta fixed it.

acorntoy

macrumors 68010
May 25, 2010
Can’t remember what ultimately was but I had the same exact problem on my 2015 Pro, I solved it through software fixes. Sorry I can’t remember the fix but at least I can tell you your hardware is fine :)

If I remember correctly it didn’t happen in other browsers on Netflix, so maybe that’s a stop gap solution.

Reactions: tm0000

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Unfortunately, I don't think that's it.

A bug in graphical stack can be hardware-specific. I have experienced flickering, very similar to one you have described, on a 2018 machine only (not Vega though). At any rate, if you had a hardware issue your problems probably wound't be limited to full-screen Netflix...

Reactions: jerryk

fpenta

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2016
I've noticed the screen flickering on my 2018 MBP i9 vega 20.

I tried unchecking "Automatic Graphics Switching" > energy saver... and the screen stopped flickering.

The screen is only flickering when I'm watching Netflix, not when I'm watching youtube. And the strange thing is, not all the movies cause the screen to flicker.

I have another MBP and I compared the exact same movies (the ones that were causing the flickering) and the screen did not flicker when watching on the old MBP. BTW "Automatic Graphics Switching" was checked on the old MBP.

Does anyone have any idea of what could be wrong? I'd really appreciate some opinions.

Thanks in advance!

I think I understood what you are talking about. I recently noticed it too.
It’s not a bad flicker and it’s not coming from the screen but from the software. It’s totally normal.
I have the MBP 2018 i9 with Vega 20 and I also had the “problem” with my 15” 2016 MBP that I just sold once I updated to Mojave I guess.
It’s not too bad, it doesn’t happen often. I guess it’s a OSX bug when playing Netflix.

bmp5000

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2019

Same thing is happing on mine. This is my second unit with the exact same specs...

MacBook Pro i9 2.6 6-core w/ Radeon Pro Vega 20 with 4GB of HBM2 memory TWO DAYS OLD - MACBOOK PRO SCREEN FLICKERS WHEN CONNECTED SINGLE EXTERNAL DISPLAY VIA USB-C TO HDMI This is my second unit. The first unit with the same specs was returned by me on December 17, 2018 for the same issue with the screen flickering when hooked up an external display. Decided to try it again so reordered the same model. As you can see it also flickers. I've tried everything including different external displays, and the MacBook Pro flickers regardless of type.
[doublepost=1546371289][/doublepost]
It’s not a bad flicker and it’s not coming from the screen but from the software. It’s totally normal.

Yeah right. It's normal on a brand new $4200 MacBook for the screen to flicker? o_O

fpenta

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2016

Same thing is happing on mine. This is my second unit with the exact same specs...

MacBook Pro i9 2.6 6-core w/ Radeon Pro Vega 20 with 4GB of HBM2 memory TWO DAYS OLD - MACBOOK PRO SCREEN FLICKERS WHEN CONNECTED SINGLE EXTERNAL DISPLAY VIA USB-C TO HDMI This is my second unit. The first unit with the same specs was returned by me on December 17, 2018 for the same issue with the screen flickering when hooked up an external display. Decided to try it again so reordered the same model. As you can see it also flickers. I've tried everything including different external displays, and the MacBook Pro flickers regardless of type.

Yeah right. It's normal on a brand new $4200 MacBook for the screen to flicker? o_O

Hm well that's not what I was referring to. This is definitely not normal.

ThisBougieLife

Suspended
Jan 21, 2016
Northern California
My Vega 20 MacBook flickered as well, and checking “Autmatic Graphics Switching” did temporarily stop it.

But for me it had nothing to do with Netflix. It happened after I updated to MacOS 10.14.2 and was worse when the computer woke from sleep.

I sent that computer back so I can’t test anything anymore. But I had people sharing the same problem on Apple Support.

#flickergate

fastasleep

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2010
Seattle, WA

I have this same issue, while plugged into a 30" ACD. Haven't checked to see if it happens yet without the external plugged in, but don't think I've seen it yet without. Curious to know if this is a hardware or software issue...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.