Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hessel89

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2017
Netherlands
That’s nothing to do with RAM and all to do with the GPU, though. So as a general rule 8GB RAM is fine with a 5K display. My wife uses a 5K display day in and day out with her 13” 2017 MacBook Pro i5 with 8GB RAM.
That's probably because your wife's 2017 MacBook Pro i5 has a discrete GPU or at the very least an Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640. 8GB is not fine when the system alone utilizes +/- 4,5 GB with 500 MB in cache. turn on iCloud and it uses even more. So no, 8GB is definitely not enough for a Mac mini neither any other modern Mac with no dGPU.

Last edited:
Reactions: tagumcity

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
That's probably because your wife's 2017 MacBook Pro i5 has a discrete GPU or at the very least an Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640. 8GB is not fine when the system alone utilizes +/- 4,5 GB with 500 MB in cache. turn on iCloud and it uses even more. So no, 8GB is definitely not enough for a Mac mini neither any other modern Mac with no dGPU.

We can agree to disagree. Most people will be fine with 8GB. I’m not including myself in the “most people” category.

Reactions: JTBing

jerwin

Suspended
Jun 13, 2015
I’m curious to know where you came across this information about swapping and compressing video ram. Do you have any references to that effect?

shouldn't VRAM be "wired"?

• Wired Memory: Memory that can’t be compressed or paged out to your startup drive, so it must stay in RAM. The wired memory used by a process can’t be borrowed by other processes. The amount of wired memory used by an app is determined by the app's programmer.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201464

However, a big monitor can invite the user to spawn lots of windows. And that can induce WindowServer to request more memory. How does 10.13 GB sound?

Last edited:

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
he said 13", it has an iris pro 640 which performs roughly the same as the UHD 630.

edit: oh wait, it might have iris pro 650. (that would perform better than UHD 630)

Reactions: Hessel89

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Sure, if you don't use the UI and just have it to vend media as a server.

No, I mean it works as a normal computer. Some people really, really don't care about having a solid 60fps UI. I'm so spoiled my a 165hz desktop on my PC that even a 60hz UI is pretty grim for me to get used to. :D

Minxy

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2012
Today, 16 GB is the bare minimum to just breathe comfortably.

That is simply not true. Just for anyone else reading this.

I'm thinking about the Mac Mini i7, 512GB with 16GB (I'm too scared to upgrade it myself from 8GB and think the Apple 32GB is way overpriced).

I've read about display lag, YouTube videos playing at a low frame rate, and Safari slowing down if you have multiple tabs open. Surely the computer will be able to run without any issues with 16GB?

As I understand it this memory is used for graphics memory, so if an egpu is added this leaves the main RAM free?

If I got the same model but with 8GB RAM (with the hope to get an expert to upgrade it) would it function properly?

Apple stores do RAM upgrades, does anyone know how much they charge (in the UK) and if they would upgrade 3rd party RAM bought elsewhere?

Last edited:

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2018
USA
I've read about display lag, YouTube videos playing at a low frame rate, and Safari slowing down if you have multiple tabs open. Surely the computer will be able to run without any issues with 16GB?

As I understand it this memory is used for graphics memory, so if an egpu is added this leaves the main RAM free?

If I got the same model but with 8GB RAM (with the hope to get an expert to upgrade it) would it function properly?
I have a Mac mini late 2014 base model (4GB RAM) running without issue - though it does use swap now and then. I also have a refurbished 2017 MacBook Pro with 8GB RAM running without issue and no swap used in the 3 days I've had it. I think 16GB RAM is overkill.

Reactions: Minxy

gusping

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2012
I have a Mac mini late 2014 base model (4GB RAM) running without issue - though it does use swap now and then. I also have a refurbished 2017 MacBook Pro with 8GB RAM running without issue and no swap used in the 3 days I've had it. I think 16GB RAM is overkill.
I have an i7 2018 Mac mini with 16GB RAM and it uses 10-12GB with my very light use. Three safari windows with a total of 7-10 tabs, one of which is a YouTube video (500-700mb alone), then Spotify, and Skype. That's it. That uses 10-12GB. It's crazy. I also have 4K monitor which probably ups that a bit.

Reactions: Minxy

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2018
USA
I have an i7 2018 Mac mini with 16GB RAM and it uses 10-12GB with my very light use. Three safari windows with a total of 7-10 tabs, one of which is a YouTube video (500-700mb alone), then Spotify, and Skype. That's it. That uses 10-12GB. It's crazy. I also have 4K monitor which probably ups that a bit.
I ran Linux and BSD for years and I learned some things about random access memory. macOS is based on BSD, and BSD based systems utilize all available RAM, whether it needs it or not. The saying in the BSD world is; "unused RAM is wasted RAM". Just because it uses 10-12 GB of RAM doesn't mean that amount of RAM is actually necessary, which is why my 4GB RAM Mac mini runs fine with Mojave. 16GB RAM is not necessary.. yet.

gusping

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2012
I ran Linux and BSD for years and I learned some things about random access memory. macOS is based on BSD, and BSD based systems utilize all available RAM, whether it needs it or not. The saying in the BSD world is; "unused RAM is wasted RAM". Just because it uses 10-12 GB of RAM doesn't mean that amount of RAM is actually necessary, which is why my 4GB RAM Mac mini runs fine with Mojave. 16GB RAM is not necessary.. yet.

Makes sense, and I agree. You want as much of your ram used as possible. Thanks for sharing this! Makes me feel slightly better.

Reactions: revmacian

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle

Yep. Well said. I ran my 2018 i5 mini with 8GB for a few days without issue, and definitely some RAM free. Now I’m running the exact same apps with 16GB and all of a sudden I consistently have only 6GB RAM free.

Reactions: revmacian

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2018
USA
Yep. Well said. I ran my 2018 i5 mini with 8GB for a few days without issue, and definitely some RAM free. Now I’m running the exact same apps with 16GB and all of a sudden I consistently have only 6GB RAM free.
Yep, the 16GB system is using every bit of RAM it can get hold of. However, as you saw with your 8GB mini, 16GB RAM isn't actually necessary.. not even for 'wiggle room'.

Reactions: gusping

harriska2

macrumors 68000
Mar 16, 2011
Oregon
shouldn't VRAM be "wired"?

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201464

However, a big monitor can invite the user to spawn lots of windows. And that can induce WindowServer to request more memory. How does 10.13 GB sound?
Ah, thank you. I have windowserver taking a ton of memory. I thought it was because I’m connected to my windows 7 machine (mac newbie here). I do have a lot of windows open. And I have only 8 gb ram. And I do have a large 40” 4k monitor. I’m thinking of upgrading to 32 gb sooner rather than later. It’s down to $244 on amazon now.
[doublepost=1546786358][/doublepost]
Hmm, I have 8gb but generally none free with lots of hard drive swapping. I’m using Affinity Photos to cut up uncompressed TIFF images and save them separately. I suspect in my case 32gb would be helpful (or at least 16).

Reactions: DeepIn2U

tagumcity

macrumors regular
May 11, 2015
Tempe, Arizona
Apple doesn't optimize for benchmarks. Apple optimizes for performance, and benchmarks measure such performance.

Given a set of benchmarks, you will see a natural variation in the results, independent of RAM or any physical attributes.

That said, more RAM will massively improve performance, for a number of reasons. One is that a lot of RAM is used for cached files, which Apple tends to keep no matter what. Once the system starts to swap, your performance goes down considerably.

Another is that RAM is also used for VRAM, and it is not dedicated. Swapping and compressing will therefore also affect graphics performance.

I maxed out RAM for this very reason, knowing from many years of underwhelming experience of too little RAM and sub-par memory handling on Apple's side.

Today, 16 GB is the bare minimum to just breathe comfortably.

These other posts are satisfied at 4 or 8 GB being adequate for their usage pattern.

Your on point 16GB is a minimum to be adequate over the lifespan of this device.

I’m running 32 GB for moment and definitely will go to 64 GB when it prices at $300.

Reality4711

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2009
scotland
i5+8Gb Mac mini 4kLG - no problem/2K BenQ - no problem - Eizo 1080 - no problem - Samsung 4K - no problem.
All 32" except Eizo 24".

Usage - all Apple software plus odd bits in Affinity Photo - lots of screen time.

From these observations the base Mac mini seems to drive 4K well enough to satisfy general usage. Obviously no - gaming/rendering/video (other than iPhone quickies)/coding and stuff like that but I doubt someone with these things in mind is likely to buy this machine anyway.

Oh settled on the BenQ 2K finally. It is VA but has lovely tonal balance that suits my wife's usage and really seems to cut down on the tired eye thing of an evening. The 4Ks were all run scaled (with no problems). Oh by the way eyes tested twice yearly (health reasons) and the 2K is undetectable to the wife although I find it a bit soft. Hoses for courses.

harriska2

macrumors 68000
Mar 16, 2011
Oregon
I have a 40" 4k monitor and had 8gb ram until yesterday. It did fine but simply couldn't play hd at any size in youtube as it would stutter the frames constantly. It played low res videos fine. Now with 32gb ram, no problem - even HD at full screen.

Reactions: Spectrum

mpfuchs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2014
VA
I have a 40" 4k monitor and had 8gb ram until yesterday. It did fine but simply couldn't play hd at any size in youtube as it would stutter the frames constantly. It played low res videos fine. Now with 32gb ram, no problem - even HD at full screen.

Yes, of coarse it makes a difference. Just depending on the use case it might be more or less noticeable.

- rob -

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2012
Oakland, CA
Do you think 32GB RAM would improve those benchmarks? I suspect they would. What about 64GB RAM?

So, just because more RAM improves the benchmarks.. that means more RAM is necessary for everyday work?
Last night I did Geekbench 5 benchmarks on a brand new i7 running 10.14.6 with 8gb preinstalled, followed by 32gb of Crucial. System was clean for both tests.

Geekbench 5 marks went from:

Single-core ScoreMulti-core Score
8gb Mac mini i711705680
32gb Mac mini i711736664
edit: Oops, I did not enter the correct multi core after the ram upgrade fixed here.

It seems like you don’t get a major benchmark change from going between 16 to 32 gigs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Spectrum

EightyTwenty

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2015
Agreed. My Mac mini (late 2014 base model) only has 4GB RAM and it works fine.

No offence, but I can’t anything you say seriously if you are content with the performance of that machine.

I bought it 3 years ago and it was the worst, most sluggish, awful computer I’ve ever used.

It went back to the Apple store the following week, where an employee told me “everyone who buys that model returns it”.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.