marclondon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 14, 2009
London
I think this is a known issue but after going away it's come back again on my 2018 Mini (i7 model) running Mojave. It started happening again when I applied a security update to Mojave.

It crashes after being put to sleep and reboots to the login screen.

I don't want to put Catalina on because of certain software that I need to run (and I don't know if this would solve it).

Anyone got to the bottom this or is it just not fixable?

The Mini has 32 GB ram from Crucial that I put in. It has a 1 TB SSD with about a third free space.

marclondon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 14, 2009
London
Thanks - that's definitely the same issue and seems to be related to updates as I had it before some time last year, then it went away, and now it's back. It seems it may be related to Safari, which I use all the time...

Comment

Fishrrman

macrumors Core
Feb 20, 2009
I use Safari too much to really consider NOT using it.

My "there he goes again!" solution:

If the Mini crashes when waking from sleep, the solution is...
... DON'T PUT it "to sleep".

Just put THE DISPLAY to sleep, and let the Mini "sit idle" when you're not using it.
Or (like me)... just "reach forward" and TURN OFF the display if you're going to be away for a while.

And...
... at night, SHUT DOWN the Mini. It can't crash if it's not running.

The "idling" Mini uses only a couple of watts more per hour than a "sleeping" Mini.
You won't hurt the environment by doing this.

Comment

marclondon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 14, 2009
London
If the Mini crashes when waking from sleep, the solution is...
... DON'T PUT it "to sleep".

Just put THE DISPLAY to sleep, and let the Mini "sit idle" when you're not using it.
Or (like me)... just "reach forward" and TURN OFF the display if you're going to be away for a while.

And...
... at night, SHUT DOWN the Mini. It can't crash if it's not running.

The "idling" Mini uses only a couple of watts more per hour than a "sleeping" Mini.
You won't hurt the environment by doing this.

Yes I turn both monitors on and off during the day and evening but I like to put it to sleep at night as I have lots of programs and files open and it's a real pain to start it all up again.

The idling Mini in fact runs pretty hot - or at least my i7 does.

Comment

MevetS

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2018
Earth
Yes I turn both monitors on and off during the day and evening but I like to put it to sleep at night as I have lots of programs and files open and it's a real pain to start it all up again.

The idling Mini in fact runs pretty hot - or at least my i7 does.

I leave programs open when I shutdown at night, they open for me on startup the next morning. I can't speak to the files though.

Comment

mike9449

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2017
Phoenix
For me, it started Thursday night when I put it to sleep. Now every time it sleeps it eventually crashes. I don't recall accepting any updates lately.

2018 Mac Mini I5, purchased a year ago, running Mojave (won't run Cat, too many 32 bit apps I depend on).

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.