2018 mini - Mouse Unresponsive

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by anaudiopro, Dec 20, 2018.

1. anaudiopro macrumors 65816

anaudiopro

Is anyone else having their Magic Mouse 2 become completely unresponsive on their new mini? When it stops working it can sometimes take a minute or two to come back to life. Very annoying!

2. tpivette89 macrumors 6502

tpivette89

Although I have had heard of issues with bluetooth connectivity (on this forum only), I can't say I have... my space gray Magic Mouse 2 has been absolutely perfect as far as connecting since day 1 with my Mini purchase over a month ago. Same with my AirPods and space gray keyboard.

Any issues with any other bluetooth devices? If so, I would return it immediately.

3. anaudiopro thread starter macrumors 65816

anaudiopro

I guess I will report this to engineering tomorrow. Hopefully it will do some good...

4. F-Train, Dec 20, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2018

F-Train macrumors 65816

At this point, there are several forum threads on Bluetooth issues. You might find it useful to go through some of them.

For many people, perhaps not all, it is a range or interference issue. In other words, the mini is just not close enough to the mouse/trackpad/keyboard or they've done something like put the mini under a metal desk or are using it with a hub that is causing electrical interference. Apparently some hubs are a problem and some aren't.

5. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

EMI interference with the bluetooth signal (from USB3).

Try a wired mouse, or a Logitech wireless mouse (which uses its own RF frequency -- not bluetooth).

Another solution, clunky but I'll bet it works:
    Get a USB "extension cable" (has a male USB plug on one end and a female port on the other).
    Get a 3rd-party "bluetooth dongle".
    Put the dongle on the extension cable and "string it out" in the direction of your mouse, let it "hang free".
    By locating the bluetooth transmission/receive point away from the USB ports, you should get much better reception.

6. gages macrumors member

Yup, exactly what I have done. Get a USB2 extension cable and one of these

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007GFX0PY/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You will need the bluetooth explorer utility, and then select the Broadcom adapter as active.

https://apple.stackexchange.com/que...uetooth-dongle-instead-of-built-in-controller

7. F-Train, Dec 21, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2018

F-Train macrumors 65816

I had things set up so that my screen/keyboard/trackpad were in front of me and my mini was behind me, with about 1.2m/4' from the mini to the keyboard/trackpad. Fixed occasional disconnects by moving the mini 25cm/10" laterally to the right.