Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2018 MPB 13/16/512 - i5 vs i7

• 13/16/512 i5

Votes: 57 69.5%
  • 13/16/512 i7

Votes: 25 30.5%

• Total voters

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
I'm wondering the impact on performance DDR3 ram in the 13" vs DDR4 in the 15", i just recently bought a cheap asus laptop for windows that had DD4 in it so i'm wondering why Apple didn't use DDR4 in the 13" upgrade??

Zapp21

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2014
I'm wondering the impact on performance DDR3 ram in the 13" vs DDR4 in the 15", i just recently bought a cheap asus laptop for windows that had DD4 in it so i'm wondering why Apple didn't use DDR4 in the 13" upgrade??

Well, DDR4 is desktop memory and consumes way more power than LPDDR3 (Low Power DDR3). The 15" MacBook Pros use DDR4 only to support 32GB configurations. LPDDR4, which does support 32GB as well is not yet compatible with Intel's current CPUs.

Reactions: Lennyvalentin

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Regarding i5 vs i7, it should boil down to:
  • Do you tax your Mac's CPU often (100% utilization with fans blaring out)?
  • Do you find yourself waiting a lot for tasks to finish?
If these don't occur often enough, your money is better spent on (in this order):
  1. SSD: SSD on new Macs are incredibly fast. If you intend to use your Mac for several years, get double of what you need now.
  2. RAM: If you tend to run multiple apps often or browse with many tabs and/or windows, check Activity Monitor. If Memory Pressure is more than half way and Memory Used is close to or exceed 8 GB, upgrade to 16 GB. Since SSD is incredibly fast, occasional swapping is fine. But even so, page out to SSD can be worse than faster CPU.

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
It seems like both turbo to about the same frequency with load. So I wouldn't expect you to see a CPU difference. Now, if you want to eek out as much graphics performance as possible, there may be a argument for the i7. After using a 4k monitor with my 2015 MBP, I'm going to do everything I can to keep it from being choppy this time around, which means i7 for me.

princ2

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2017
I am 'this' close to getting MBP 13" with i5/16/512 but I'm still hesitating whether this computer is worth 10300 zlotys (here in Poland) with this GPU -
  • Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655.
What do you think?

My intention is to occasionally game on this thing on Windows via Bootcamp. Light games of course.

Patcell

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2016
Bergen County, NJ
I am 'this' close to getting MBP 13" with i5/16/512 but I'm still hesitating whether this computer is worth 10300 zlotys (here in Poland) with this GPU -
What do you think?

My intention is to occasionally game on this thing on Windows via Bootcamp. Light games of course.
Define "light games." At this point the integrated GPU is the limiting factor for the 13" MacBook Pro. It is leagues behind even the base RP 555X in the 15", which itself is leagues behind other more gaming-focused discrete graphics processors.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
What do you think?

All the new 13" models come with 655. Or are you getting last year's 13" model without Touch Bar ($1899)?

For me personally, I think new 2018 model is worth $300 premium ($2199). You get quad core processor with faster GPU (with double the graphics RAM), True Tone display, faster SSD, 3rd generation keyboard, Touch ID, 2 extra Thunderbolt 3 ports running at full speed, and Touch Bar.

As for the gaming aspect itself, if it's just once awhile and you don't mind playing at reduced quality setting, 655 isn't bad. You should expect about 10-25% faster frame rate. But for either Macs, you have the option of using eGPU, which will boost the graphics performance significantly. IMO, you are better off getting a dedicated gaming PC though.

Lennyvalentin

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2011
At this point the integrated GPU is the limiting factor for the 13" MacBook Pro. It is leagues behind even the base RP 555X in the 15"
With the few benches I've seen, "leagues behind" would be quite an exaggeration. In at least some benches (I can't remember off the top of my head where or what I saw exactly, sorry), the 13" was pretty competitive with the 15" when both ran their native screen resolution. 15" has faster GPU, but also needs to push more pixels, so doesn't necessarily enjoy that much of a speed boost because of it.

princ2

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2017
Define "light games." At this point the integrated GPU is the limiting factor for the 13" MacBook Pro. It is leagues behind even the base RP 555X in the 15", which itself is leagues behind other more gaming-focused discrete graphics processors.
The problem is lack of benchmarks of this 655 GPU - I don't even know what level of "gaming" can be achieved. What I means is for example Fortnite low details - however early benchmarks show that even top configurations of 15" struggle here. Hmm...

All the new 13" models come with 655. Or are you getting last year's 13" model without Touch Bar ($1899)?

For me personally, I think new 2018 model is worth $300 premium ($2199). You get quad core processor with faster GPU (with double the graphics RAM), True Tone display, faster SSD, 3rd generation keyboard, Touch ID, 2 extra Thunderbolt 3 ports running at full speed, and Touch Bar.

As for the gaming aspect itself, if it's just once awhile and you don't mind playing at reduced quality setting, 655 isn't bad. You should expect about 10-25% faster frame rate. But for either Macs, you have the option of using eGPU, which will boost the graphics performance significantly. IMO, you are better off getting a dedicated gaming PC though.

Yep, all 13" models come with this weak GPU, so after giving it a lot of thinking I think the price tag is too big for it. On the other hand, you get quite a lot of power (but not GPU) in 13" machine. However, 2000 PLN more (again in Poland Macs and Apple products are overpriced even more than let's say in the US) gets you 15" with much better GPU.

frou

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2009
Iris Plus performance versus the base Radeon in both 2017 and 2018 seems to be about 70% in compute and 50% in gaming.

I doubt gaming at the full native resolutions of the MBP panels would be acceptable on either one, if you are even remotely picky about framerate.

Last edited:
Reactions: princ2 and Patcell

waziazi

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2018
USA
Anyone have any input on battery life between i5 and i7??? I really need some answers on this. I am getting bunch of mixed results googling.

Also does a system use single core more or multi cores? My guess is it will start using multi cores once the single is getting maxed out. Is this correct ?

Reactions: SSD-GUY and princ2
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.