2018 or 2019 MacBook Air?

Yebubbleman

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I'm due for a greater and substantial Mac refresh for myself, but I'm not willing to stomach a potential Rev. A sickness on the 16" MacBook Pro, spend so much money on the four-port 13" MacBook Pro when it still has the butterfly keyboard, nor spend ANY money on the two-port 13" MacBook Pro when it has both said keyboard and power issues. Given all of that will take a bit of time to fully remedy, I'm considering buying myself a Retina MacBook Air, in the interim, from the Apple Certified Refurbished Mac section of the Apple Online Store.

I'm between targeting a 2019 Air or a 2018 Air. I'm leaning more towards the latter as I would happily trade True Tone for a faster SSD (and since I'm likely targeting a maximum storage option model, I'll happily go for the extra half terabyte of storage). However, I seem to recall that the 2018 had a known logic board problem. Does anyone have any insight into this issue and/or widespread it is? Any opinions as to which of the two generations of retina MacBook Air I should check out? Needless to say, AppleCare+ is a given.

lambertjohn

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2012
Except for True Tone and a minor keyboard upgrade, they're the same exact computer. Never heard anything about a logic board problem. My 2018 has been flawless. AppleCare + is a waste of money IMO. Take care of your computer and it will last for years.

Reactions: AxelFoley

johannnn

macrumors 65816
Nov 20, 2009
Sweden
Except for True Tone and a minor keyboard upgrade, they're the same exact computer. Never heard anything about a logic board problem. My 2018 has been flawless. AppleCare + is a waste of money IMO. Take care of your computer and it will last for years.
Minor keyboard upgrade? Didn’t the 2018 have Apple’s first keyboard upgrade that then proved to be equally ****** as the first scissor keyboard? While the 2019 has the good upgrade.

pdxplm

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2006
Portland, OR
I've got the 2018 MBA, and it's been great. My understanding is that the 2018's had a faster ssd than the 2019's. The ONLY issue I've had is with Catalina on it, I've reverted back to Mojave.

Mainsail

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2010
Minor keyboard upgrade? Didn’t the 2018 have Apple’s first keyboard upgrade that then proved to be equally ****** as the first scissor keyboard? While the 2019 has the good upgrade.
It is true that some folks have had problems with the 2018 MBA keyboard, and I think it was the second revision. The 2019 KB is the third revision and seems to have been much more reliable than predecessors. For 2019, Apple replaced the silicon membrane with nylon...less tacky and prone to collect dust. Also, they are using a heat treated hardened dome switch, which should be more durable.

That said; if you have a problem with your 2018 BF KB, Apple will replace it with the 2019 version. So, in theory, the difference in KBs should only be a one time issue.

I have owned a 2019 MBA since August, and it is my favorite computer. Excellent. No issues.

MacRazySwe

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
I have the 2018 and it has been great. Keyboard hasn't been an issue whatsoever. :) If it does become an issue, I have 4 years of warranty. That's longer than I intend to keep this computer, so I'm good.

That said, I would go for the 2019 if the price difference is negligible.

Reactions: Jayderek

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2018
USA
I have a 2019 MBA and haven't seen any issues with the hardware at all.

I have the 2018 and it has been great. Keyboard hasn't been an issue whatsoever. :) If it does become an issue, I have 4 years of warranty. That's longer than I intend to keep this computer, so I'm good.

That said, I would go for the 2019 if the price difference is negligible.
Please keep in mind that the keyboard replacement program covers eligible MacBook, MacBook Air, and MacBook Pro models for 4 years after the first retail sale of the unit. A 2018 MBA purchased new in 2018 will have about 3 years left on that warranty program.

Reactions: Saturn007

ghanwani

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2008
Maybe it's a YMMV thing, but I think truetone is overrated. It seems to cause headaches for me and I have it disabled. I'd think you'd be fine with either model.

I didn't bother getting AC+ on my 2019 MBA as I plan to upgrade it once better a better graphics option is available. Graphics is the weakest point in the MBA performance.

Reflej0

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2020
It had none, but in terms of performance they are identical in terms of specifications, same processor (I5-8210Y), same type of rams (LPDDR3), same graphics (UHD Graphics 617).
Make the choice as to the price, or if you are a little more adventurous, you could look for some opportunity in a Macbook Pro with little use, although I personally would only venture into a Macbook Pro to have dedicated GPU.