iPad Pro 2018 Pro - disappointing camera

Discussion in 'iPad' started by darthbane2k, Nov 25, 2018.

1. darthbane2k macrumors 6502a

Is it just me or is the camera on the new iPad Pro disappointing. Took a photo in indoor lighting and it’s pixelated, tried to take a portrait photo and it would only let me use the inferior front facing camera. The option just isn’t there for the rear camera. Now I know it doesn’t have a duel lens , however this is possible with the single lens iPhone XR. Considering the price hike of these iPads, I’m disappointed. And no I don’t use a tablet often to take photos but I had it it’s me today , was goofing around and immediately noticed the difference.

2. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

To be honest I think the camera is only there for scanning pics/documents for the most part. It looks ok to me but i would never use it for taking pictures.

3. sunapple macrumors 68000

sunapple

Never looked into the camera, didn't really care / don't own the device, but I found this on the website:

Schermafbeelding 2018-11-25 om 12.11.38.png

So they ditch a lens element as well as OIS to make it thinner. Err, okay? Usually I like thinner devices, but this I can't justify. I mean, do you really need the camera? No. Is downgrading it a good thing? No.

Haven't seen any real-world comparisons by the way.

4. YourArsenal87 macrumors newbie

After quickly snapping a photo indoors yesterday my impression was that stills are an improvement on the 2018 pro camera compared to the 10.5. Video might be another story due to lack of OIS.

5. squizzler macrumors regular

squizzler

6. ericwn macrumors 68020

Says who? It comes standard with a camera and a camera app. We are not discussing wether or not some people dislike iPad photography but a felt downgrade in the imaging capabilities.

7. elmarjazz macrumors member

As someone familiar with lens design, moving from more elements to less isn’t necessarily a downgrade in performance. New lens designs can be better (updated paired hardware-software processing also can help). It can help to cut costs too (unless a more expensive type of material/production is used, probably not in this case). Over-all the less ‘glass’ and no more optical image stabilization looks to be a production cost savings.

Can’t say anyone should be using an iPad as their only camera, I sure don’t, but in a premium device you expect premium features, and at least image stabilization should not have been dropped from the 2018 iPad Pro.