iPad Pro 2018 pro touch screen problems and monoprice charger

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Chuckieboy, May 4, 2019.

1. Chuckieboy macrumors newbie

I know this sounds weird but my 2018 11 inch pro started acting up about a month ago. It was having all of the symptoms that others have been complaining about where the touch screen becomes unresponsive for a few seconds. Sometimes it just freezes for a while. A reboot would make things better but the issue always comes back.

It was driving me crazy so I tried uninstalling apps, doing a full system factory reset, etc. Nothing worked until I tried using the original charger.

I had been using a 27 watt charger from monoprice. I rebooted and started using my apple charger and the issues with the touch screen have not happened again for 2 days now.

Could a charger cause some weirdness with the touchscreen?

2. mikzn macrumors 65816

mikzn

Hope that works and stays working for you.

On the other hand my iPad 12.9 has never been charged with anything but the original charger and I have the problem every day

3. muzzy996 macrumors 6502

While it is certainly possible that a bad charger could ruin a device, I highly doubt that was the case from my second generation 12.9 inch iPad Pro. I own a multitude of different third-party chargers and use them interchangeably to charge multiple iPads, iPhones and android devices without issues so if one of my chargers are at fault then I blame a weakness in the IPP equally if anything.

4. AutomaticApple macrumors 65816

AutomaticApple

The touchscreen problem has become more frequent on my 12.9 inch iPad Pro.

5. dantracht macrumors 6502

dantracht

Same. I barely use my 12/9" because of that.

6. BruiserBear macrumors 6502a

Is this a repeat of the iPhone X touch screen issues?

7. Chuckieboy thread starter macrumors newbie

3 days now and the issue has not come back. I’ll try charging tonight again.

Apple has a replacement iPad waiting for me but now I’ll not sure I want to exchange and get a refurb. But I still worry about the issue coming back after my warranty expires.

8. Chuckieboy thread starter macrumors newbie

Another update. It started happening again after a couple more days. So I swapped out for another IPad under warranty. Hopefully the new one is ok.

The replacement seems to be a brand new one with model number MTXP2LL/A