2018 SSD User Upgradeable?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by MacTiki, Oct 30, 2018.

1. MacTiki macrumors member

Anyone here know if the SSD in the 2018 Mac Mini is user replaceable/ upgradeable?

2. tedson macrumors regular

It doesn't look like it at this time, It appears the the SSD is on a daughter card and may be possible from a third party vendor in the future but until the manufactures get their hand on this and starts working on it we won't know for sure.

Safest route is to order what you need now.

3. MacTiki thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the fast reply.

4. greenmeanie macrumors 65816

greenmeanie

I think the T2 security chip would stop you from upgrading it anyways.

5. tedson, Oct 30, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2018

tedson macrumors regular

We don't know that yet. You may be correct but until someone outside Apple tries we won't know for sure.

Update: After reading Apple's "T2 Security Chip Overview" white paper, I thing greenmeanie is correct.

I don't think 3rd parties will be able to provide any upgrade solutions without Apple's explicit help.

6. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

It looks like the SSDs on the 2018 Minis are soldered in and non-replaceable.
    I could be wrong about that.

7. Oculus Mentis macrumors member

Oculus Mentis

I'm eagerly waiting for a proper Mac Mini teardown. On the other hand the devil could be in the detail or, in this case, the wording on the Apple Store:

Apple Store note on MacBook Air storage:
    "Storage is built into the computer. If you think you may need more storage capacity in the future, consider upgrading at the time of purchase".

Apple Store note on Mac Mini storage:
    "Mac mini storage is not user accessible. If you think you may need more storage capacity in the future, consider upgrading at the time of purchase".

It is very possible that the Mac Mini SSD is a standard PCIe nvme with an M.2 connector. Simply not easily accessible but replaceable if having the proper tools and instructions (even if an upgrade will void the warranty)!

8. chrfr macrumors 604

It's not removable. The T2 necessitates tight integration with the storage.

9. Oculus Mentis macrumors member

Oculus Mentis

We don’t know that yet for sure. The iMac Pro also has a T2 chip and its SSD is removable