Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ike1707

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2009
I know I’m just speaking into the void, but I really hope that the XR doesn’t mark the beginning of the end for 3D Touch.

Reactions: vjl323

iGeek2014

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2014
=== Nowheresville ===
I know I’m just speaking into the void, but I really hope that the XR doesn’t mark the beginning of the end for 3D Touch.

If Apple ever master 3D Touch with Liquid Retina then maybe we’ll see it make a comeback... if Apple find a way to replicate it with Haptic Touch then I guess it’s on the way out.

Must admit I do miss 3D Touch but then my former iPhone SE didn’t have it nor did my former iPad Pro 10.5”.

jjhny

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2005
Just nothing that great... I'm now tired of carrying a big phone - prefer one a bit smaller and thicker - like a 5s with the latest internals and bigger battery - that would be fine, considering I put a protective case on phones and pads anyway. If I want to do anything bigger on the go I use an iPad.

Would like to see some serious hardware though... some new xeons with many, many cores.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Leaks happened, but I’ve been sorely disappointed with how Tim Cook et al presented the keynotes.

Let’s go back to the iPhone 4. It was leaked majorly, but Watch the keynote. Steve Jobs was self aware, made a joke about it and he actually created a presentation that made us more intrigued about the iPhone 4. Tim Cook and Phil Schiller just didn’t do any of these. Their keynotes were borderline boring so the products became not as interesting after the leak.

I know it’s hard to replicate Jobs’ distortion of reality, but at least they could’ve done a better job.

Bacillus

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
Leaks happened, but I’ve been sorely disappointed with how Tim Cook et al presented the keynotes.

Let’s go back to the iPhone 4. It was leaked majorly, but Watch the keynote. Steve Jobs was self aware, made a joke about it and he actually created a presentation that made us more intrigued about the iPhone 4. Tim Cook and Phil Schiller just didn’t do any of these. Their keynotes were borderline boring so the products became not as interesting after the leak.

I know it’s hard to replicate Jobs’ distortion of reality, but at least they could’ve done a better job.
The problem is that leaks enhance expectations, that hardly can be fullfilled at a (luxury) commodity company.
This whole phenomenon is now working against them. The moment of tide change was the “cannot innovate my ass” sigh that has become legendary

Jodeo

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2003
Middle Tennessee
How can a company so large with so much money be so lethargic in their product advancements? Aside from the iPhone and (I'll even allow) the iPad, the rest of the product lineup has been so slow in changing.

The Apple Watch has shown the most promise - and has seen annual updates, but my concern is that it tries to do so much with its form factor. Can't Apple consider other lifestyle devices that augment the application of the technology? Home Healthcare is blowing up and Apple could be a significant player in this arena. Instead, their 1-lead EKG watch is less of a 'hobby' than AppleTV was in its early years. When I use an Apple Watch I'm struck by the fact that it tries to do SO much instead of being focused on what it can do BEST.

The foundation of Apple was the Mac line-up. While there have been reasonable advance in the MacBook Air and even the MacBook Pro line ups, the absence of a new Pro (aside from last year's iMac Pro) is just not good. The last Pro, while impressive, spoke more toward Apple's sense of style than the actual consumer's sensibilities. I'm encouraged by the talk of a more modular approach - but 5 years on, the delay speaks to Apple's disinterest in this foundation they've laid.

The iMac is also well overdue for a big refresh. For one, "Aluminum is the New Beige." iMac has had the aluminum color for over 11 years - more than half of its lifespan. While the iMac Pro is lovely, the overall gray look has become blah - even with some refinements in the case. Second, what's keeping Apple from simple speed bumps and tweaks every 12-18 months? Going 4 years between Mac Mini updates and, now, over 18 months since the last iMac refresh is just not justifiable.

Despite the growth of the 'mobile' market (tablets and phones), computers are still in demand. Should Apple nudge its marketshare a mere 5% nationally and 2-3% outside the US over the next 2-3 years, that would likely be a huge impact on not only their financials but also how the world sees Apple. Apple has a good value proposition but it needs to be kept fresh. With all the capital in the bank and margins on other products, such a goal could be achievable by reducing Mac prices further.

I could understand delays based on a smaller company or failing business model, but Apple is in neither boat. Their quietness is not encouraging, either. While they tend to hint more than in the past about future products, I don't think they're going to hurt themselves by advising us when a next Mac refresh is expected - particularly if such an announcement were to fall within the same quarter as sales commence.

But that's just me - venting and hoping. We'll just have to wait and see what happens...

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
The problem is that leaks enhance expectations, that hardly can be fullfilled at a (luxury) commodity company.
This whole phenomenon is now working against them. The moment of tide change was the “cannot innovate my ass” sigh that has become legendary
Still, a master of presentation and marketing like Apple should at least be able to create more exciting keynotes. I mean all the current keynotes are too serious. We can go watch Jobs again and see that although his keynotes were heavily scripted and practiced, he still could present them with fun and self awareness. At the least Phil Schiller, a marketing person, should do better. Now they are not too far off from the boring keynotes by other companies, other than being well rehearsed.

Reactions: Bacillus

Shiro_Simba

Suspended
Sep 28, 2018
London
best product in 2018 was Mac Mini - became more than a cheap barely functional Mac. And they made it semi-upgradeable, kept USEFUL ports and the headphone jack. :apple::)

Good to see it updated
[doublepost=1546163954][/doublepost]
With this current rate, no longer looking forward to keynotes or official announcements

The keynotes have lost thier character once Steve left. Cooks fake excitement on stage is awkward . They may need to re think the format

Reactions: andyyau

Shiro_Simba

Suspended
Sep 28, 2018
London
Simple replacement (Cook), Craig Federighi.

You are right. Thought about this a bit. Craig, should run the keynotes - makes them fun , and is a natural at it. Or maybe Cook should try just being himself and not trying so hard to pretend he is very excited .
[doublepost=1546168711][/doublepost]

Jobs was genuinely a product guy, and excited to launch his baby to the world. This brought the audience in, like a great story being told, where you want to hear the next part.

Current keynotes are like watching a PowerPoint presentation by a finance guy , pretenting to be excited . This has a negative affect on people , cause if you are bored , you are not looking forward to seeing this product ASAP ... wanting it ... the simple fix is, let Craig run them, bring life back into them, Cook needs to be more like Ives in these keynotes ...

Reactions: andyyau and Feyl

Niklas_nick

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2016
This year, you’d known beforehand exactly what would be announced at the keynotes, often because Apple leaked the products themselves.
At this rate, I wonder whether Apple “allowed” some leaks to control the hype and don’t get disappointment (and influence on the stock price) after too high expectations.

nexusrule

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2012
You are right. Thought about this a bit. Craig, should run the keynotes - makes them fun , and is a natural at it. Or maybe Cook should try just being himself and not trying so hard to pretend he is very excited .
[doublepost=1546168711][/doublepost]

Jobs was genuinely a product guy, and excited to launch his baby to the world. This brought the audience in, like a great story being told, where you want to hear the next part.

Current keynotes are like watching a PowerPoint presentation by a finance guy , pretenting to be excited . This has a negative affect on people , cause if you are bored , you are not looking forward to seeing this product ASAP ... wanting it ... the simple fix is, let Craig run them, bring life back into them, Cook needs to be more like Ives in these keynotes ...

Sure but, probably no more than 0.001% of prospective Apple's products buyers watch keynotes?

iPad Air

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2013
SC, USA
I am genuinely anticipating what they will do with the 2019 MacBook Pro...I almost upgraded last week to a 15" Pro over my Early 2011 13" Pro that I bought new and still works great...but I am going to hold out in hopes for an excellent 2019 model, that gets a lot more praise than the 2016-2018 models.

Reactions: d0nK

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
What a boring week on MR.:(

Maybe turning the channel for a week would be a better response? Think about the editors who day after day work their butts off to bring news to the community.

There are a lot of people who come here to read their stories. Sometimes it's not all about you.

Last edited:
Reactions: StaceyMJ86

Zdigital2015

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2015
East Coast, United States
I am genuinely anticipating what they will do with the 2019 MacBook Pro...I almost upgraded last week to a 15" Pro over my Early 2011 13" Pro that I bought new and still works great...but I am going to hold out in hopes for an excellent 2019 model, that gets a lot more praise than the 2016-2018 models.

You may be extremely disappointed. At best, we could see Vega 16 and Vega 20 become the standard GPUs, beyond that, there is nothing for Apple to do, unless the rumored 8c/16t H-Series materialize before 2020. Source: https://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel...Cs-with-8-core-i9-H-series-CPUs.374616.0.html

If you are hoping for an Ice Lake/Cannon Lake/Sunny Cove refresh and a new chassis, I would not expect to see anything until mid-2020, at the earliest, maybe even 2021. Like it or not, Apple is going to make this chassis last unless sales completely tank, which they haven’t yet.

Intel keeps making 10nm promises that it has yet to prove it can fulfill. Volume production from them of all product lines might not be achieved until Q4 2020/Q1 2021.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Maybe turning the channel for a week would be a better response? Think about the editors who day after day work their butts off to bring news to the community.

There are a lot of people who come here to read their stories. Sometimes it's not all about you.

Can I have an opinion as much as yours is.

Plenty of reasons why I said the above, not going into them.

SeattleMoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2009
Der Wald
2019 will be full of real innovation...just heard that Apple has been working on translucent power cords (wires visible inside plastic sleeve). How cool is that?!!! :cool:

d0nK

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2011
UK

Waiting for a new mbp here too. Here's hoping that they replace the rivetted-in keyboard.

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC

I for one come here to read their stories. I use the Tapatalk app 95% more than any app on my iPhone, to read the MacRumor stories as well visit the various Apple forums.

Reactions: citysnaps
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.