(2019 4K iMac) Just bought my first real desktop mac in almost a decade.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by argentdraws, Apr 13, 2019.

1. argentdraws macrumors newbie

argentdraws

(Sorry this thread doesn't really have any direction!)
    So. I took the plunge.
    [​IMG]
    After years of owning a decently specced (to 2015 or so) "gaming" PC I've bought not only my first desktop Mac, but also the first brand new desktop Mac I've ever owned. Around almost 10 years or so ago a white iSight iMac G5 used to be my main computer and I loved that (very used and already obsolete by the time I got it) computer to death and it ended up on eBay around the time I built a budget gaming PC circa 2011 when I was 15. I know the 2019 iMac isn't the best of the best, but I can't help but feel excited?

Things I'm aware of tho - I'm aware I only picked 8GB of RAM, considering my options it was either 16GBs and deal with Fusion Drive speeds or this, and I feel like considering how used to solid state drives I am, that going with the former (in this point of time) would have been a bigger compromise, so I'm happy with my choice (for now!) I will definitely be upgrading the RAM at one point by paying a certified servicer to do it for me. my current PC has 8GBs in dual channel and that seems to be doing well enough for now.

Wait you own/owned a gaming PC, don't you game?: Honestly as an aspiring creative and digital artist and cartoonist using the IT equivalent of a mountain dew robot in a 1999 korn music video has slowly and surely dragged me down and I honestly hate working in the same space and computer that I use for play, which at least I did used to until the Switch came out and I haven't really touched a big mainstream PC game since 2017? so yeah, 99.99% of the time these days, I'm actually doing creative work and the price of 4K monitors for design make my eyes bleed especially when I'd have to give up the 1MS response times on my current one I use for my switch. eGPUs also exist.

Regardless, I'm sure I'll be happy with my purchase. I'll be glad to be back.

2. MadDane macrumors 6502a

Congratulations on your new purchase. I hope you will enjoy it, and that it will serve you well :)

3. evilmurries macrumors newbie

evilmurries

This was a large reason why I purchased a new iMac instead of upgrading my already quite good PC. Having a separate work and play space is a huge deal. Congratulations!

4. Porkchop Sandwich macrumors regular

Good for you, and you have every reason to be excited b/c I’ll bet you’re going to love it. I, too bought a 21” recently but missed out on this latest update offering of 6-core processors. Nonetheless, I have a 4-core i7 in mine and it’s just a pure pleasure to use, handily taking everything I throw at it with ease and running smooth as silk. I hope you’ll update once you’ve received your new iMac and let us know how the 6-core fares in the 21”.

5. argentdraws thread starter macrumors newbie

argentdraws

Keeping this thread updated with my first experiences with the machine is the plan actually! should have mentioned that in the op. :)

6. zhu- macrumors newbie

The 2019 27" iMac is also my first desktop mac and I'm very impressed. I've had only custom built gaming PCs and macbooks (2012 MBA, 2017 MBP) and realized none of my macbooks could handle external monitors very well. I have two 4k monitors connected to my iMac now and it's by far the smoothest computer I've ever used.

7. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

Don't buy or add RAM just yet. Just run it for a few weeks "as it is".
    After that, you can investigate RAM sources and add more if you want.

The SSD was the right choice.
    If you need "more room", just add an external drive, either SSD or HDD.

A good compromise between USB3 (cheap) and thunderbolt3 (fast) would be to buy a USB3.1 gen2 nvme enclosure, then add an nvme drive. This will give you roughly twice the speed of an off-the-shelf USB3 drive, for not much more $$$.

8. Porkchop Sandwich macrumors regular

It’s a shame RAM isn’t as easily upgradable on the 21”, as it is on the 27. But on the plus side, it, along with the hard drive is fully upgradable on the 21 should someone venture to “go in”. You definitely made a wise choice putting the $ toward the ssd over extra RAM if funds were a consideration (when aren’t they?).

9. argentdraws thread starter macrumors newbie

argentdraws

Yeah! Considering my PC is getting by just fine for my current workflow with 8GBs and most of my focus was on having a generally much faster machine, with a new platform (coming from 4th gen i5!) and a P3 4K display good enough for content production all in one package, it shouldn't really be a problem for me, and by the time it is I'm sure I can pay a service centre to get me up to 16 or 32GBs if it ever became much of a pain.

And I'm aware of the NVME enclosure thing! Watched a LTT video about it a while back and completely forgot about it, so thanks for reminding me! I was considering getting a 512GB USB C WD drive with my next student finance. (Parents helped me out with funding the iMac out of the blue!)
    --- Post Merged, Apr 14, 2019 ---
    Until my parents decided to help me out with funding the new machine I was considering a refurbished 2017 machine with a spinning drive (yuck!) And tearing the thing apart and upgrading it myself but that seemed like a very poor choice and added expense and risk for such, even with the 2017 model, an expensive machine.
    I'm sure when the time comes to bump up the RAM there'll be reputable service centres in Newcastle who I could pay to upgrade the machine for me. Also thanks for the tip! It might be worth considering a separate spinning internal storage drive to throw in there too, although for now I'm taking my 1TB project drive out of my gaming rig and putting it in a cheap and cheerful powered USB3 enclosure.

10. zhu- macrumors newbie

Where is the fan or intake/exhaust located? I have been doing some stress testing to see if I should get another 16GB RAM kit or keep the 8GB for now but realized I have never heard the fan at all. It's completely silent even with 8 4k videos playing. That would make my 2017 13" MBP sound like a vacuum.

11. argentdraws thread starter macrumors newbie

argentdraws

Haven't received my iMac yet! its still in processing/transit but I believe the small fan grills are underneath the stand on the lower back of the machine, which is where the RAM hatch is on the bigger 27" model :)

12. zhu- macrumors newbie

Oh I see it, thanks. I bought the one with the vesa mount so it was pretty hidden!

13. Dezlboy macrumors regular

Dezlboy

Congrats! I bought same machine (except 16GB) replacing 2009 mini and old 19in monitor. What has really impressed me is the SPEED (programs pop up instantaneously, and web much faster) and SCREEN (far cry from 1280x 1024).

Old mini still hooked up and looking at that monitor, can't believe that at one point I considered a new mini and keeping same monitor.

Thanks to many on this forum....I made the right choice. :)
    --- Post Merged, Apr 15, 2019 ---
    Hope this isn't hijacking thread, as still discussing 21" model. What was Apple's reasoning on not making the RAM in 21" as easy as the 27" ? Did Apple assume the "average" consumer would opt for the 21" and view the 27" as simple more computer than they needed? And, the "average" consumer wouldn't be comfortable adding own memory?

Or that the "average" consumer wouldn't even know that about adding RAM after purchase, so figured they would make more money this way?

FWIW: If I could have, I would had ordered only 8GB RAM instead of the 16GB, if my 21" was user upgradable.

14. zhu- macrumors newbie

I know the 5K display isn't exactly new, but wow it is noticeably crisper than my 4k displays and the color is amazing. I had originally planned on getting a Mac mini but glad I went with the iMac. Ten years ago this display alone would be $2k+ lol