Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Xaero zero

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2020
Need an advice, I'm looking into replacement for my current MBP 2017, because I no longer use it as portable machine and need some "desktop-like" thing.
Looking into i9 / 9 gen current offerings of iMac (2019).
I assume next (last) update of Intel based Macs won't be significant, apart from CPU boost to 10th gen and some GPU upgrades.
I mainly use machine for Coding, no gaming, video, photos, etc.

My current MBP suffering from inflated battery, which distorts bottom of aluminum casing a little (i.e. need battery replacement ASAP), due to being on constant charging plug for 3 years. Service takes around a week... and I can't afford siting without machine for a week (

Question is, considering next gen iMac update includes only CPU boost (no design changes, fusion drive eol etc), is there any reason to wait for new models to come out (and when?) or should I just get current 9 gen i9 3.7 and deal with it ?

Thanks

mj_

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2017
Austin, TX
You do realize that the next iMac is most likely going to be ARM-based instead of Intel-based, right? It's highly unlikely that Apple is going to release another Intel-based iMac at this point. This, in turn, would mean that the next gen iMac is going to be anything but a minor update but a rather massive and major one, the likes of which we haven't experienced since 2006, instead.

My advice would be to simply get a USB-C monitor for your current MBP instead and use that one until the new iMacs are released, which is very likely to happen within the next year and definitely within the next two.

Whiteman007

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2008
You do realize that the next iMac is most likely going to be ARM-based instead of Intel-based, right? It's highly unlikely that Apple is going to release another Intel-based iMac at this point. This, in turn, would mean that the next gen iMac is going to be anything but a minor update but a rather massive and major one, the likes of which we haven't experienced since 2006, instead.

My advice would be to simply get a USB-C monitor for your current MBP instead and use that one until the new iMacs are released, which is very likely to happen within the next year and definitely within the next two.

they said during WWDC keynote that they had intel based Macs in the pipeline.

Xaero zero

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2020
Thank you very much for input.
Thing is, I'l be definitely not getting first gen ARM Macs, because as usual for apple 1st gen stuff is quite rough, so next upgrade will be in 3-4 years, and that would be gen2 ARM-Mac.
And I will definitely need a new machine within this year, so my main concern only about "last-gen/2020" iMacs that are coming this year without redesign and with just specs bump (?), is it worth waiting that much for little CPU bump or not (correct me if I'm wrong, but that's just a usual refresh, CPU/GPU) compared to current i9 3.7 9500k CPU on top model.

CheesePuff

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2008
Southwest Florida, USA
Just buy a used/refurb iMac Pro base model for under $4K - you'll get better CPU/GPU/RAM/cooling/webcam/speakers/mic/2x TB3 ports then a maxed out iMac standard model

patrick.a

macrumors regular
May 22, 2020
Thank you very much for input.
Thing is, I'l be definitely not getting first gen ARM Macs, because as usual for apple 1st gen stuff is quite rough, so next upgrade will be in 3-4 years, and that would be gen2 ARM-Mac.
And I will definitely need a new machine within this year, so my main concern only about "last-gen/2020" iMacs that are coming this year without redesign and with just specs bump (?), is it worth waiting that much for little CPU bump or not (correct me if I'm wrong, but that's just a usual refresh, CPU/GPU) compared to current i9 3.7 9500k CPU on top model.

From what I've read the update is going to be big and should come in Q3 this year - maybe as soon as next week (hopefully). New CPU, new GPU, SSD only and probably even a redesign. You will get better value for the price you pay so it's worth waiting! Also, don't buy the iMac Pro as this one is rumored to be updated at the end of the year after three years finally. It's just a really bad time right now to buy hardware from Apple.

I'm in the exact same position as you are. My MBP 2018 has a swollen battery and needs replacement. But as this is my main (and only) machine, I can't afford to not have it for a week. It's time they announce some new hardware and speed up shipping time!

Reactions: DQ11

wpdv

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2012
Need an advice, I'm looking into replacement for my current MBP 2017, because I no longer use it as portable machine and need some "desktop-like" thing.
I assume next (last) update of Intel based Macs won't be significant, apart from CPU boost to 10th gen and some GPU upgrades.

My current MBP suffering from inflated battery, which distorts bottom of aluminum casing a little (i.e. need battery replacement ASAP), due to being on constant charging plug for 3 years. Service takes around a week... and I can't afford siting without machine for a week (

Question is, considering next gen iMac update includes only CPU boost (no design changes, fusion drive eol etc), is there any reason to wait for new models to come out (and when?) or should I just get current 9 gen i9 3.7 and deal with it ?

Thanks

Still using my 2010 27" iMac every day, bought it new, upgraded the memory to the max, and recently had a local shop install an SSD hard drive. It works flawlessly for all of my work. That said, if I come across a great deal on a 2019 27" with an SSD drive I'm ready to buy.

I would strongly recommend SSD. Runs cooler, is faster and hopefully more reliable not being mechanical. Since the upgrade, my 10 year old iMac starts up and run faster than my 2018 MacBook Air.

The next iMac being released I'm sure will be even faster and more expensive. I have gotten 10 years and counting, on my current iMac and it does everything I need it too. I do not use it for gaming or video editing. If I was, then I might feel differently. It sounds like your use may be similar to mine—you won't go wrong with either year in my opinion.

Last edited:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
The 2019 models are fine iMacs.
I would probably get either an i5/i7 (don't remember which is offered) instead of an i9, due to heat and fan issues, but that's just me.

You didn't tell us where in the world you are, but you should call Apple directly about the bulging battery in the 2017 MBP.
They may offer to fix it free of charge, and will send you a prepaid shipping box to return it to them for the job.
Even if you have to pay, the cost is reasonable (at least here in the USA, where it's $300).

It's important to call APPLE, and NOT a (non-Apple) 3rd-party service provider for this...

zeroq

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2010
The 2019 models are fine iMacs.
I would probably get either an i5/i7 (don't remember which is offered) instead of an i9, due to heat and fan issues, but that's just me.

You didn't tell us where in the world you are, but you should call Apple directly about the bulging battery in the 2017 MBP.
They may offer to fix it free of charge, and will send you a prepaid shipping box to return it to them for the job.
Even if you have to pay, the cost is reasonable (at least here in the USA, where it's $300).

It's important to call APPLE, and NOT a (non-Apple) 3rd-party service provider for this...

Apple Store changed my bulging battery of a MacBook for free.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA

OpenCL benchmarks claiming to be from a 2020 iMac leaked today. They show a custom Intel 10th Generation i9 CPU that has a faster base clock than the 65W i9 and a slower Turbo speed than the 125W i9 and has an AMD Radeon Pro 5300 GPU.

pldelisle

macrumors 68020
May 4, 2020
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
OpenCL benchmarks claiming to be from a 2020 iMac leaked today. They show a custom Intel 10th Generation i9 CPU that has a faster base clock than the 65W i9 and a slower Turbo speed than the 125W i9 and has an AMD Radeon Pro 5300 GPU.
I don’t think the highest end model will come with only a Radeon Pro 5300. I think it’s a base 27’’ model with BTO CPU 10 cores

DQ11

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2018

Any clue as to what that might do for heat issues in the new imac?

2017 had issues in the 27"....I've heard it's not an issue really in the 2019, but if they are going to a high w chip then won't it technically run hotter?

Redesign could fix that, but what about if not?

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Any clue as to what that might do for heat issues in the new imac?

The 2019 i9 is a 95W part and the Radeon RX series are 150W parts in standalone cards - Apple clocks them down a bit to lower the wattage. The 5300 Pro is probably similar in wattage, so realistically the 2020 would likely run as hot / cool as the 2019.

Reactions: DQ11

santa

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2003

Thanks
If it's mostly coding you're doing I'd replace the battery and connect it to an external monitor then upgrade to an iMac after the ARM machines come out.

DQ11

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2018
The 2019 i9 is a 95W part and the Radeon RX series are 150W parts in standalone cards - Apple clocks them down a bit to lower the wattage. The 5300 Pro is probably similar in wattage, so realistically the 2020 would likely run as hot / cool as the 2019.

Thanks. That makes sense...I just wasn't sure how much it would affect it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.