2019 MBA display vs MBP display

hooper2

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 31, 2008
With MBA getting True Tone, how does the display compare to the MBP displays with the P3?

Reactions: twanj

BLBL

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2018
P3 colors in MBP will look richer. True Tone is just a feature that adjust white balace based on the environment lightning but it has no effect on color gamut which is wider in P3 MBP while MBA is limited to sRGB gamut.

I'm pretty interested about new entry level MBP. I was wondering how common it is to receive a panel that has even color temperature across the different parts of the screen? I'd hate to get a screen where one side of the screen is reddish and another side bluish. Has there been recently a lot of this problem in Pro models? How about light leak, do they suffer from it usually?

In my current Air 2018 is very even screen and no change in color temp in different screen areas and it is without light leak. So I'm a bit worried if Pro model would suffer from those features that will ruin experience pretty badly.

Last edited:

frou

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2009
I'm pretty interested about new entry level MBP. I was wondering how common it is to receive a panel that has even color temperature across the different parts of the screen? I'd hate to get a screen where one side of the screen is reddish and another side bluish. Has there been recently a lot of this problem in Pro models? How about light leak, do they suffer from it usually?

In my current Air 2018 is very even screen and no change in color temp in different screen areas and it is without light leak. So I'm a bit worried if Pro model would suffer from those features that will ruin experience pretty badly.
Why fret about hypotheticals when every unit has a no-questions-asked 14 day return window?

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
With MBA getting True Tone, how does the display compare to the MBP displays with the P3?
Apples and oranges with regard to true tone vs. P3. Maybe I'm missing something but true tone adjust the white balance based on the ambient lighting, where as P3 is for color accuracy.