2019 MBP OverHeating

lukejtarb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2020
Manchester, United Kingdom.
Hi there,

Just picked up a brand new 2019 15" MBP, and a couple of times now it has overheated. I have toggled on and off the automatic graphics switching depending on the task at the time, and I use the laptop with 2 monitors via USB-c sat on an extended mouse mat.

This has now also happened with the laptop not plugged into anything. This seems to happen more than it did on my Early 2015 model.

So far, I have not noticed a drop-off in performance. Is this a known issue, if so is there a resolution.

iMacca44

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2012
I was just about to post about my 2019 13", I think it is to do with external monitors. I currently have mine connected to a Targus USB C dock, with two HP monitors, at home I have a 4K LG. When connected to either of them, the body gets hot and I'm having to use an external keyboard.

I haven't had any temperature warnings but it's uncomfortable to use.

Have looked at Activity Monitor and nothing is out of the ordinary, have installed iStat most sensors are around 60 degrees celsius when it gets hot, palm rest sensor gets up to about 35 deg. If I use iStat to increase the fan speed I can cool it down, but leaving Mac OS to handle it, the fan seems to barely run even though I find it hot!

e1me5

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2013
Cyprus
If the laptop doesn't switch off by itself to prevent damage due to heat, it does not overheat. CPU temps can reach up to 100 degrees Celsius and that's normal. There are safeguards preventing any damage from higher temps, usually by throttling the CPU.
You feel the case to be hot because of the aluminium being a good head conductor removing heat from the insides. Usually this happens when the computer is in high load. External monitors always use the dGPU and this heats it up.
Also the chassis is tinnier than a 2015 model so less air is circulating inside and also there is a higher CPU core amount (8 vs 4).
But if you believe this shouldn't be happening, check activity monitor for any apps or processes that use the CPU excessively with out reason. Note that when you first start using a new mac and installing software, OS indexes files and uses a big chuck of power.

lukejtarb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2020
Manchester, United Kingdom.
Just picked up a 15 incher?

Return it. Get the 16". Issue fixed. No overheating problems with better cooling components and design.
I debated getting the 16-inch but I wanted the butterfly keyboard switches. Unpopular opinion I know but I hated the keys on my 2015 retina. Plus a got a great deal from Costco so it was a no brainer
- - Post merged: - -

RESOLVED: This was an issue due to a really strenuous workload (3 creative cloud apps being used at the same time, paired with using 2 monitors wired straight into the Mac. I am now using temp monitor to keep an eye on things and manually increase the fan speed to keep the cpu cool before it gets too hot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.